Register now to get rid of these ads!

Upholstery folks - Vinyl from Jo-Ann's?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Yes it is a foot for use with the cord. It has one side of the foot raised so it will run along the top of the cord while the other side is like a regular foot that run on top of the fabric. Some even have just a channel running through the middle of the foot that the cord would run through.

2. stude54

stude54
    from michigan

Don't forget to check the local news paper ads for the 40% off coupon Jo-Ann's publishes every week. It on all the yards you buy of any type not a single yard.

3. Flinttim

Flinttim
    from Indiana

Back in the old days of vinyl, it did not have much if any stretch. You cut it on the bias (45 deg angle) to get that bit of stretch. The new stuff has so much stretch that it's no longer a need. Very wasteful too. I just cut it across the roll or if needed on a longer run and I don't want seams, I cut it up the roll.
    You'll want a welt foot sized to the filler and finished welt you want. Too small a welt foot and to big a filler creates a problem. A 1/4 " foot will work for most needs.

4. Flinttim

Flinttim
    from Indiana

Truthfully, you don't need welt in a seat. I think the top stitch seams look better in a lot of cars.And if you are feeling frisky a french seam looks real good. Maybe not a beginner project though.

5. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Kind of figured that's what the foot was like. I'm pretty sure I have something of the welting foot variety, but I'm not sure if it's 1/4". A foot is a cheap purchase, if not.

The style of seats will be along the lines of what was in the P-32. Most specifically the driver's seat. A little different construction than your average rolled and pleated cushions. I like the "stuffed rolls" look. So I'm using that driver's seat as the inspiration. That style of cushion seemed to be pretty popular in a variety of racing cars (American and European) from the 20's on up. I have a sprint car seat cover on loan to me right now from another HAMBer that is probably mid-50's and it's going to be really helpful to follow it's construction pattern.

OH! And yeah, my Wife is on the mailing list and is probably at Jo-Anns at least once a week! :) HAHA! She's got some KILLER discount coupons including 1/2-off, in some cases.

The P-32 seats I mentioned.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  6. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So does anyone have a good on-line source for large snaps? I noticed McMaster Carr sells them, but MMC is usually priced a little high.

7. Another Jo-Anne question....

If the Vinyl is good enough, then upolstery fabric would be also, right?

Just curious.

8. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Scooter, I ALWAYS buy fabric and foam at JoAnnes with the 50% off coupons. It's the same stuff you get at trim shops. Use the green foam, it's high density.

Brian

9. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

You MUST inquire about material because stuff for a chair in the house may not hold up exposed to the sun on your car

10. oldsman41

oldsman41

ive done door panels and kick panels with vinyl from jo anns it worked out well about 7 yrs now

11. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks everyone for the great info! Really great feedback.

On a tangent, it's nice for people who may not have an upholstery shop by them and could walk in and purchase the materials. Where I'm at, we have quite a few shops around, but not everyone has that luxury. And honestly, the Jo-Anns by us is so close it's almost worth it just to buy there for the convenience.

So how about the snaps? I found that I actually have a few snap pairs ideal for the application, but not enough. And I don't have an installation tool. What do I need? I know there are some crazy squeeze type tools, but isn't there a smaller low-budget type tool for someone who is only doing a few?

12. 31 5w

31 5w

Some of your marine suply places carry those. Overtons sell a nice kit w/ the good snap installation tool.

13. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

yikes! i always forget to suscribe to stuff so i miss replies. since the vinyl doesnt realy have a grain where is stretches more in one direction than the other you dont realy need to worry about it being cut on the bias so i wouldnt worry about that.

and a welting foot is nice but honestly youll be fine with a normal one as well you just need to give it a few practice runs.

as far as whats inside the piping i want to say i just used some small diameter rope and had no problems. that way it wont ever crush weird like a foam will and wont feel hard like a rubber tube.

hope that helps, sorry for the epic late replie

14. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

[​IMG]

not an awesome photo but i havnt got many of it, but thats 'rope' piping not cut on the bias, all the same foot to put it all together, and jo annes vinyl to boot!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  15. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Do you want "lift the dot" or button type snaps? Just go to the hardware store and get a setting tool and a couple of refill packs. It's a die, a dedicated punch, and the snaps. Just put the button in the die, poke the shank thru the material, put the back on, and smack the pnch with a ball peen hammer.

I used the fancy little turnbuckle type snaps on the roadsters top, I bought like 50 of 'em for about .50 apiece from some place I found on the 'net. I like 'em 'cause they're a little different.

Brian

16. Scoot, you are in HB right? Go by a boat upholstery place, maybe a canvas shop and get friendly. They'll put snaps in for ya. Hell, they do it with thier eyes closed. West marine is probably close and sell the male portion of the snap w/screws.
    But I think boat uph guy will hook you up.

Talk to them about vinyl, they know. Most uph shops are cool about stuff like that.
    I you go to LA much, I'll call the guy who I sold my shop to and tell him to put some snaps in for ya!

Good luck!

17. hotrodchevy

hotrodchevy

I haved used marine grade vinyl in all my builds for years many came through jo ann fabrics never had one fail yet even in this NH hot and cold climate also use their foam and fillers they have a lot of cool piping also. and economicel I say go for it.

18. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow! Thanks for even more great feedback. Been traveling and just seeing this (that HAMB app is handy!). I appreciate everyone's input.

Just the domed looking nickel plated snaps are what I had in mind. Not sure why I never bothered to check the hardware store. D'oh! Good tip!

19. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Get the marine grade if you want it to stand up. It is for auto and boat use, the stuff they make for house upholstery will not stand up as long in the sun and weather.

Also get nylon thread, the cotton thread they use for house upholstery will fall apart after a couple of years in a car.

For the piping or welting, they make a special plastic cord that goes inside it. They used to make a kind of string made of twisted paper but that is long gone. Just cut strips from whatever scraps you have left over to make the welting.

20. I used marine grade vinyl on the seats in a jeep wagoneer back in the 60s & would recommend it no problem. Check out H F for for the die to set your snaps or Jo-Anns might have them also. Just a depression in a piece of metal with punch to mushroom the stem. Hobby shop might also have them as well as a hardware store like H D or Lowes.

21. JR66Ford

JR66Ford

You can also try a leather shop, like Tandy Leather, for snaps. They have the big ones, even black anodized (which look like a black chrome). Setting them is easy like mentioned before with a concave anvil and punch to set the stud.

We have a discount fabric store here with a huge selection of marine vinyl. They also have about 4 different high metallic ones like the old booth seats were covered in. There is a red with silver metal flake that makes me want to build something just to use it in.

22. Good information everyone. Since we're talking about material, can you buy material already rolled and pleated?..preferebly sewn, rather then pressed pleats. If so, where do you buy it?

23. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I know you said sewn rather than the the welded pleats, but several years ago I saw a really cool mid 60's Pontiac convert (I notice these because I like big Poncho converts!) at a show and complimented the owner on the interior, which looked like the original, red pleated vinyl.

"Thanks", the guy said, "It's all from J.C. Whitney, seat covers, and pleated matching vinyl by the yard, carpets too." It looked great, and was dirt cheap.

Just a thought...

Brian

24. butch27

butch27

I've been looking for the sewn in pleat material for my T bucket for quite a while. I don't think the make anything but heat sealed pleats anymore.

25. felicia

felicia

Looks like channeling I use it on boat seats alot.

26. felicia

felicia

There are places where you can buy good marina vinyl at affordable prices,, try sailrite.com and upholsteryonline.com enduratex marina is about 11.95 a yd and sailrite.com has all the trim piping to match the color and uv thread,, some priced less then 10.00, , and anyone can shop there I work for a marina doing custom boat cover and seats,, ,, if you do a lot of work tenera thread is the best but it's 95.00 a spool .

27. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

cptn60 likes this.
  28. raymay

raymay

Saw a HAMB thread awhile back were they used the material from a discarded leather or simulated leather couch. Visiting family in Michigan and saw two of those discarded couches yesterday that reminded me of the thread. If you do not need a lot of material, it certainly is another and very interesting and inexpensive option.

29. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

My wife sent me there once to get something for her, it was one of the most miserable experiences of my life.

TagMan likes this.