Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration "Just an Old Ford"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jeff Norwell, Jul 2, 2011.

1. And every you fire it up, you smile a little bit. :D

The enjoyment we get from these cars can't be explained. You either get it, or you don't. No gray areas here. It's like trying to describe the feeling you get when you're next to a Nitro car. Words just don't cut it.

Cool clip Jeff. Thanks for bringing it to us.

2. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Last year I took a tour of Syracuse and saw a 63 Galaxie for sale there.It was the same kind of indian red color as seen featured with dog dish caps,very clean interior,4 gear and a 406 tripower.
    It was for sale for under 10k(if I can remember right)I was with the RB boys and they tend to blur the situation hahaha
    Anyhow,.... it was a beauty... and I constantly think of that car a a perfect daily driver(except the fuel mileage hahahha)

Glad you all liked it.

3. HotRod33

HotRod33

Thats how all rides in an old car is supposed to be........ cool video...

4. uc4me

uc4me

That ruled...now sitting here in the office REALLY sucks

5. hvywrench

hvywrench
    from N.W. Conn.

Thought I would clear up a couple things in case there is still an interest in the answers.
    From the Feb. thread:

Those 70s moonshiners were a rowdy bunch! Yeah I call bs cinamatic fake patina crap. But I liked it anyway.

Nope, there is nothing faked or created in the film. Some of the shots are out of sequence, and a lot was edited out (uncovering took much longer) in order to keep the film short enough to watch without being bored.
    Ben decided how best to tell the story, didn't really have to do anything 'exciting' in order for things to all work properly.
    I painted the surface rust with Sherwin Williams Industrial Rust Converter before the thing dissolved, or before the rust made holes. No special effects to look like rust or faded paint at all.
    I do feel bad about it, but at least I held onto it and 'saved' it. I walked right up the edge of selling at least twice but each time I "just thought I would see if it still ran" and every time it started right up and I couldn't let it go.

Just a cool little movie. I wonder where it was shot?

Filmed in Northwestern CT, autumn of 2010.

I wonder what it sold for in 75-6

I paid $1000 cash for it when I got it. Got the usual trunk full of parts as well.
    Had to sell my '68 Dodge Coronet R/T to get the money.
    That R/T was a great car! Maroon with a black vinyl top, no stripes at all, poverty caps, and just the R/T in the grille and on the front fenders.
    440 automatic with 3.25 gears...what a road car. Got 17 miles per gallon shuttling me back and forth from FT Meade to CT on the Jersey Tpke, 95, and 87. That thing would fly! Just the right rumble from the pipes and it was a sleeper. Stuck to the road pretty well, too.
    The guy I sold it to went street racing around FT Meade and cleaned up for a while, then he wrecked it in Utica, NY.
    Wish I had been able to keep both

Just thought I would spend a few minutes and clarify a couple things.
    Bill

6. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Hey Bill.. glad your here!

7. Welcome Bill! Awesome car!

8. U-235

U-235

Awesome car....reminds me of my very first new car....64 Galaxie 2-door hardtop, Silversmoke exterior with a black interior....390 Police Intercepter (330 hp) and a
    4-speed....didn't take long to burn thru those rear tires...!

9. Grumbler

Grumbler

Saw one just like that at a show n shine this summer, cream white on red interior, no options, poverty caps, bench and four speed. Perfect. One thing I've wondered about a bit with those high compression engines in this day and age of pussy gas, I assume you would have to use octane booster?

10. hvywrench

hvywrench
    from N.W. Conn.

Thanks guys, as far as the gas, for a while I was using octane booster with my timing backed off. Now that I have done some work to it and drive it more, I have a race gas supplier near me and I get Sunoco 110 race gas and mix it 50/50. I don't thrash the car so that combo seems to work fine for just crusiing. It needs a rebuild so I may go with an engine combination that lowers the compression but hate to give up the 'crackle' that the higher compression gives. Decisions, decisions...

11. Way cool video! Why does it seem that the videos on vimeo are soo much nicer than you tube?

12. hvywrench

hvywrench
    from N.W. Conn.

As I understand it, Vimeo is a community of professional film folks. Joining over there sort of means that you've graduated from YouTube and want to present a more polished product. I think that a better product is expected from the members.
    I'm not a film maker, but that is what I've taken away from browsing over there. Some excellent films there, none of the "Hey, hold my beer and watch this".......
    Just my take on it.

13. WINGER 83

WINGER 83

Nice, kinda what the HAMB is all about! Thanks for posting it.

14. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yikes. I think you might later regret that. I would just bite the bullet and buy the gas. You may find that after the rebuild and with a good tune, it will run fine on 96 - 98 octane. (50/50 Sunoco 94 + Sunoco 100)

15. hvywrench

hvywrench
    from N.W. Conn.

I can't disagree with that, but the availability of Sunoco race gas can be the sticking point if I drive any distance (which I hope to eventually do). Hate to carry a 5 gallon can in the trunk or try to plan around race gas locations. I could see my way to suffer the costs, but being able to find the stuff when I need it....??
    The FE gurus are making some VERY respectable hp & torque numbers with 93 octane-friendly builds. They have the combinations figured out pretty well.
    I like the 'bark' of the high compression, but........
    We'll see.

16. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

My Uncle had a '64 500XL ragtop, those cars had the prettiest interiors and comfort of a couch too.

17. Grumbler

Grumbler

Anyone ever heard of the "L" code 427? 657 horsepower, when I first read about them I assumed it was some sort of factory S/S offering available only over the parts counter (the first crate engines) but this says they were available in 64 Galaxie 500's. But I'm guessing that meant limited-edition special-order no-warranty factory race cars?

"The 427 "D" and "L" engines were offered in 1964 in a Galazie 500. After late 1969 those engines were available from Holman-Moody".

http://www.carmemories.com/cgi-bin/viewexperience.cgi?experience_id=133

18. What its all about,great when he starts laughing to himself...............don.t touch the bodywork!!!!:p

19. 50Fraud

50Fraud

A buddy of mine bought a '63 1/2 fastback Galaxie new, 427/4 speed. Fastest big car I ever rode in; it seemed to pull as hard in 4th at 100+ as it did in 1st.

He sold it, another guy I knew bought it, and then it was stolen. 2nd owner was heartbroken. Eventually he found the car in South Central LA, completely stripped, just the body leaning up against the side of a garage. How sad.

20. dad-bud

dad-bud

I got a 64 Galaxie 500 XL Convertible, 390 4V auto - bought it in Fort Smith, Arkansas and drove it across the country to LA, then shipped it home to Australia.
    I love it and drive it every chance I get.
    Manual steer and brakes suck compared to today's cars, but who cares. 10mpg or less really, really hurts the pocket, but it's still worth it.
    It ain't very fast, but then, with the brakes being fairly ordinary (huge understatement), that's probably not such a bad thing. You need to plan your stops well ahead.
    I enjoy getting lots of good comments when we pull up at lights, etc - even though no one here really knows what it is (joe public, that is), other than it's cool.
    Great video Thanks for posting.

21. SOHC427

SOHC427

Your talking about the SOHC engine, there, with those codes.

They were not available in Galaxies, but a Galaxie was tested for nascar with a SOHC.
    Lots of transplant SOHC engines into Galaxie, kinda like mine!
    Eric