Register now to get rid of these ads!

Moonshine Run in Dawsonville, GA

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrod1940, Oct 29, 2006.

1. My favorite show of the year, this last weekend in the home of Awesome Bill from Dawsonville, GA. Bill Elliott that is. The origin of Moonshine, and Nascar, and steeped in mountain lore. Probably more 1940 Fords than you will see anywhere. Old stock cars, and Old stock car drivers, gather every year to increase the speed and the wins that they had in the early days.
    First are some shots of the Forties and then I will load some of the old stock cars.

Attached Files:

2. More photos.
    Will add the old stock cars and others later.

Attached Files:

3. ratstar

ratstar

Thats so awesome. I love the boxes in the back of that black coupe.

4. Some of the old stock cars that were at the Moonshine Run.
    Fireball Robert's Daughter was there with the 57 Ford with a Paxton blower and they fired it up regularly throughout the show.
    Cotton Owens was the parade feature and his car was there.
    Talked with Russ Truelove and he was there with his 56 Merc.
    He flipped one just like it 6 times at the old Dayton beach course.

Attached Files:

5. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

Just got back from this great event. Had a great time. Drove my Flatty powered`41 Business Coupe 1200+ miles round trip. She did great! My friend Vic has a bunch of pics which I'll post when he e- mails them to me. Wish I could have met you there 1940.

6. 40LUV

40LUV
    from Mid Jersey

Great pix! I need to move to GA.

7. Sorry I missed you, but there is always next year. Had to be a little nippy for a Florida guy.
    Here are some more pictures.

Attached Files:

8. Here's some pickups and deliveries.
    My favorite is the black sedan delivery, but I couldn't meet the price.

Attached Files:

9. Here another load.

Attached Files:

10. Crestliner

Crestliner

No wonder there isn't any 40 fords around here.

11. k9racer

k9racer

...................................................................................................................................................................................................
    That is the car that he fliped he has the pictures as he reworked it.. He raced the car several more times.. I hated missing the show this year but we had a show here in huntsville alabama. The car I liked best was the 46 ford 4 door with Cadillac engine.. It had wide five or 39 drums and wheels, a police radio and a shotgun for snitches. Looks like everyone had a large time..

12. He was a neat guy to talk to, and told me a story about a lady who helped him get Mercury backing to race in the fifties. The lady was a secretary to Bill Tuttle who was one of the organizers of Nascar and had the Museum of Speed in Daytona. It had the Sir Malcolm Campbell "Bluebird" in the museum, and it is now restored, and on display at the Daytona International Museum at the track.
    Take the time to talk to some of these oldtime racers and the stories are fascinating.

13. JReece

JReece

I know this is an old tread, but the pictures are great. The Moonshine Festival is coming back up this weekend, 21,22,23. Dawsonville is in the process of building a Moonshine Distillery in the GA Racing Hall of Fame/City Hall. Dennis Gage will be there all three days recording for "My Classic Car."

They are going to have 5 shows in one.

Who's all going? I would like to meet up with some of you guys. I am going Friday night to the Cruise-in and Saturday to the Car Show.

14. sololobo

sololobo

Oh my lord, what a bunch of sweet rods, and some super cool restorations. The race cars are so exciting, Fireball Roberts is one of my faves ever, so glad his daughter is carrying on his legacy. Thanks for some of the coolest pix ever. Stoked!! ~sololobo~

15. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

Plan on coming down Saturday to watch the parade, and then look around a while...been a while since I was able to come...never have made the parade.

16. Smokin' Joe

Smokin' Joe
    Member Emeritus

Tom Kitchen will be there with his "Battlebird" and his Bobby Allison Grocery Getter!
    I'm still trying to get away, but it's lookin' kinda doubtful. =(

17. JGore99

JGore99

I will be there hopefully Friday night and for sure Saturday with my grandpa in his '29 Sports Coupe! Looking forward to it

18. JReece

JReece

19. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Great pic's, looks like a 40 festival. Love it. Gary

20. Hot Rod Elvis

Hot Rod Elvis

It's not just my favorite time of the year....it's like a religion! I'll be there all three days, starting off with the induction of the 2011 class to the Georgia Racing Hall of Fame jsut below town where the cruise-in. I work at the museum. Sat. and Sun. I'll be at some of the racing booths and ride in the parade in one of the vintage flathead powered race cars. Then I'll be riding Dennis Gage around and doing some filming. Like I said....my favorite time of the year next to Christmas!

21. JReece

JReece

That sounds awesome Cody. I wish I was off work Friday morning, so I could join in the Parade and Moonshine Run. By the way, I'm Gordon's grandson. I've seen you in the museum alot, just haven't had much of a chance to talk. Maybe I can see you this weekend.

Thanks, JReece

My Clothing Line HiRevZ Clothing Co.
    http://www.facebook.com/hirevz

22. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Love shine cars. The drivers were probably the best in the country and they drove in the finest, hopped up cars you could find in the day. They ran strong and took on any road, any weather, any time of day or night. Gary

23. barney rubble

barney rubble

I got a friend from Illinois coming down with his 61 Ford. It sounds like a great weekend.

24. I will be there again this year and will post pictures like this post. I look forward to this every year.

25. 28 jalopy

28 jalopy
    from arizona

Its was one of the best shows I went to! I lived in Dahlonega a few years ago and miss the deep south with all the friendly people. Hope to be back soon! Oh, and dam good shine!

26. B1RDMAN

B1RDMAN

Where is this show in Dawsonville? And how far is that from NJ? I may just run my junk down and check it out..Can't be that far 12 hours maybe?
    My cars begging me for another road trip.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  27. JReece

JReece

That sounds great. The show is Dawsonville, pretty much the whole city limits. :) You can walk from the museum to the square, with everything in between. They shut down almost every road in the city and moonshine haulers line the streets.

Thanks, JReece

My Clothing Line HiRevZ Clothing Co.
    http://www.facebook.com/hirevz

28. JReece

JReece

29. Hot Rod Elvis

Hot Rod Elvis

Let me put it to ya this way. This year is expecting 750+ show cars of all kinds at the show at the museum, plus a tractor show. Up town is close to 200 pre 1940 Ford cars/trucks/moonshine cars plus almost 50 race cars! You can go 10 miles out of town and still smell the gasoline burning.....and maybe a bit of moonshine:rolleyes:

30. DAMN so many 40 fords!!!!