Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

From 1961 through '65, Van Nuys native Archibald Hall, Sr., attempted to help
    his son, Arch, Jr., make the jump from musical artist to movie star. The effort
    met with a modicum of success, as some seven movies in various genres served
    as B-movie drive-in fare and are remembered yet today by fans of cult films and
    artists. :cool: Among his roles, the films cast Junior as the leader of a teen car-theft
    gang running a clandestine chop shop for illicit dough, an international spy, a
    psychopath, a hero battling to rescue his girlfriend from a formerly freeze-dried
    caveman :eek: and, of course, a rock-n-roll star. After his foray into film, Arch became
    a successful airline pilot, cargo flyer and author. Now retired from flying, Arch
    is well, active and is still in his 60s. :) For further reading or to contact Arch with well-
    wishes, his site is www.archhalljr.com.

[​IMG]

Jeesh! Cell phones were sure BIG in 1961! :eek:

[​IMG]

Junkyard owner Moose shells out long green for car parts jocked
    by the light-fingered JDs. At 16, Hall, right, played "Cruiser" Bryan.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Is it just ME, or are the boys boosting a '51 Frazer???:confused:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

1962's "Eegah!" marked Richard "Jaws" Kiel's first screen appearance :cool: and is
    Arch Hall, Jr.'s best remembered movie effort, in part due to being featured on
    the B-movie TV series, "Mystery Science Theater 3000." It's probably safe to
    bet that once YOU see "Eegah!" you will never look at shaving cream the same
    way again! :eek:

[​IMG]

Pretty amazingly, Arch Hall, Sr., made the full-color movie, "Eegah!" in '61 for a paltry
    $15,000! :eek: By the time Arch the Elder passed on in the 1970s, the movie had earned over
    a million dollars. ;) For a modest effort, that's not a bad return! :rolleyes: "Creeping Terror," eat
    your heart out! :D
    [​IMG]
    Photo thanks to the archhalljr.com site.

[​IMG]

Photo thanks to voccoquan.

[​IMG]

Photo thanks to weirdwildrealm.

[​IMG]

Photo thanks to jimbeeer.

3. lordairgtar

lordairgtar

[​IMG]
    Johnston Chocolate truck...this eventually became Nabisco

4. lordairgtar

lordairgtar

[​IMG]
    Seaman Auto Body made Nash and Lafayette bodies for the Kenosha firm

5. lordairgtar

lordairgtar

[​IMG]
    Wadham's Gas Stations were all done in this oriental style, some more ornate than others. Some of the buildings still exist in Milwaukee.

6. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

Literally stumbled across this sweet shot from one of the AACA
    forums. :D We love to see REAL PEOPLE in original family pix of their
    cars, right??? :p Now, I don't know if this is a '37 DeLuxe or a '38
    Standard. Anybody want to talk a little about that strange Ford
    marketing of the latter '30s??? :confused:

7. Jimi, the caption that came with the photo stated that the photo was shot in the early 50s and the women's names were Jean Fowler and Betty Hayes, from Fort Worth, Texas. They had actually towed that roadster 1200 miles from Texas to Barris Kustoms to have the car made into a hot rod. The building in the background is Barris' old shop. Here is an early photo of the Barris shop for comparison:

The Hirohito Merc @ the Barris shop .........
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. A few from past, Dad whe he was wrestling in Madison Sq Garden, he was the real deal, him next to his 34 chevy, a bad pic of the hood open 292 jimmy with wayne 5 carb and Mom standing next to Dads 34 Chevy expecting with 2nd kid while living in Jacksnvlle Fl., me on running bd. the pics look better when small.

9. Brimen

Brimen
    from Norway

Maybe some new readers know anything about those vehicles!!

;););)
    Brimen
    NORWAY

10. My dad on his '38 Knucklehead ....

[​IMG]

11. brad2v

brad2v

Certainly a '37, I'm not knowledgable enough to say for sure Std/Deluxe, Ford didn't start the body style shenanigans 'til '38. A '38 Standard is similiar to a '37, but the grille is carried into the hood sides, and I believe, the fenders are different. The '39 Standard again, similiar to a '38 Deluxe, repeat for '40. I have no idea why they did this for the 3 model years, I'm sure someone else will chime in with more/better info.

12. i only know what i saw on chasiing classic car when wayne carini bought it....they do look neat though

13. scrubba

scrubba

Looks to me like a Deluxe model . Standards had one wiper and a painted grille . scrubba

14. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

This shot is in the recent Rodder's Journal #51. The caption states that Barris took the photo of Marcia Campbell (left) and an unidentified friend, 1950.

15. gas pumper

gas pumper

New Jersey Commercial license plate and a "X" inspection sticker for non-passenger.

Kinda looks like "Ridgefield , NJ" on the side and has an I.C.C. number

16. Looks like the '37 my parents had - Deluxe 2 door, bright trim on the windscreen, grille and side vents plus the pin stripe. Served us very well until the '50 came along.

17. Hmmm .... now we have a mystery on our hands. I'm inclined to go with Rodder's Journal, but I'd like to know where the info I got came from. Maybe some others can shed some light.

Thanks for the input 327-375hp.

18. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Damn, I love the HAMB. Doc was just worrying yesterday that he (we?) would or can be perceived as irrelevant old coots (not his words), rambling on about things that USED to matter to somebody. Well, I think the details do matter (without getting lost in minutiae, of course). HAMBers pretty much stay on task when talking about cars, planes, etc. If a HAMBer doesn't know, he/she says so and asks for more input. Ya have to love the hell out of a forum like that. It's wide open, and nobody looks down their nose at a HAMB brother or sister.

Pretty awesome. You ask about a plain early roadster rod, and you get COOL info about how it fit into Barris' EARLIEST shop! You ask about that odd Deluxe/Std marketing thing Ford did in the late '30s, and a HAMBer knows that it actually started with the '38s and lasted three years. Wow. And, all of the guys and gals who keep posting their OWN family rodding and custom pix, I'm sure ALL HAMBers salute you!

Y'all keep yer daubers up!

19. Bama Jama

Bama Jama

So true Jimi! There is a wealth of info here. If someone gives the wrong facts,unknowingly, there are people here who can and will correct them. It is an educaional experience. Long live the HAMB!

20. As it turns out, the info I gave on the photo showing the two women in the deuce roadster is correct. The Rodder's Journal erroneously claimed one of the women to be Marcia Campbell. The photo is on display in the NHRA museum. The women are Jean Fowler and Billie Hayes from Fort Worth, Texas.

Mystery solved! :)

21. This is what happens when you let your buddy borrow your ride. He looks like he's proud as punch doesn't he? Hay, shit happens!

22. Bama Jama

Bama Jama

Thanks Toby. Those two young ladies were true pioneers in the hot rod past towing that car across the desert to Barris's shop. I bet George remembers that to this day.

23. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

Someone should take a 58 Chevy and put this front on it

24. I wish I knew the story on this one.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pauljrestomod97 likes this.
  25. My father in law early 60's Mt Diablo High.
    [​IMG]

26. hillbillyhellcat

hillbillyhellcat

Found this online.

The gas station scene is from Freedom, PA late 1950s
    They put route 65 there so it's all gone.

The other is a Ford dealer that actually just closed. The place is still there and looks exactly the same, it was for sale forever. I even considered buying it, but it was way too much :/

27. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My mom in 1929----First generation street rodder

Mom in my roadster 1970

28. ZAPPER68

ZAPPER68
    from BC

Geez...how cool is that.[​IMG]

29. Another great image for those with a big screen

Mulvihill Motor Company at 1233 Chicago Dr. near the intersection of Chicago and Godfrey as it appeared in 1940. Specializing in sales and service of Dodge and Plymouths at the time, Mulvihill originally opened in 1920.

Image courtesy
    Grand Rapids Public Library

[​IMG]

30. Brimen

Brimen
    from Norway

It says:
    BRITISH MOTOR CORPORATION / HAMBRO, INC.
    734 Grand Ave., Ridgefield NJ

What is a "I.C.C." number??

Many thanks.
    :):):)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.