Register now to get rid of these ads!

HAMB "Vintage" Tool Box Club

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by daveydeuce, Dec 3, 2006.

1. lumbertrader

lumbertrader

Hey Guys,

I am looking for an older Proto 6 drawer Upper tool chest as pictured. can be any condition as long as the top and front are not dented in

Attached Files:

2. sgb45504

sgb45504

I love this club! I just started collecting vintage toolboxes this year and am always on the lookout for a sweet addition. Will be following along and posting pics of anything new i pickup! Awesome!

3. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

This thread seems to attract more "post and runs" than any other thread here. lol. Lot's of 1 post people here.

4. Welcome to the HAMB! :) Spend a bit of time looking thru some of the other threads and try to get a feel for the place. And you might find that some folks might be a little friendlier if you make an introductory post before posting anymore replys. :D

5. outlawmws

outlawmws

Another Craftsman Roller box:

OK- the pic sizes are fixed ... (I hope)

I found this thread because I recently got an older Craftsman 5 drawer roller at an Estate sale. I didn’t find any examples, here or elsewhere, that were similar to my “new” tool box.

I did finally find the approximate year it was made from a .pdf of an old 1954 Craftsman tool catalog.

[​IMG]

It’s listed as “Our Best Craftsman Roller Cabinet – With modern flush-front design”

What that means is the drawers have no drawer pulls; each drawer is inlet at the top to allow catching the lower edge of the drawer above to open it. Sort of art deco, considering its mid fifties.

This roller is interesting because it has an aluminum trim piece on the top edge, which I have never seen on another roller box, and a black Masonite top insert (It was still there, and in decent shape), also with an aluminum trim piece across the front.<o></o>

There were really no major, or even minor dents in it anywhere, and the only serious damage was one drawer front had about 4-5 spot welds popped loose and was sagging. I de-rusted between the break, and sanded both sides to bare metal, and spot welded it back in place (God it's nice when you have the right tools...)

We spent part of last weekend sanding and painting, and my kids finished sanding the last three drawers Monday, and Tuesday AM I painted the three drawer fronts, all else had been painted Hammer-tone Grey, an almost perfect match to the original color. (You can’t tell looking at the before pics but I feather sprayed the lower edge of the main case into the interior, and you can’t hardly tell inside where the paint is not faded. I suspect this thing spent some time outside.

I did about 1/2 the prep and the kids did the other half. In the before pics, the red corner on one drawer was where I used spotting putty to smooth out the damage the spot welder did when I re-welded that corner.<o></o>

All the spot welds in the vertical edge were popped loose as were a couple on the bottom edge. The side "collapsed" a bit and the damaged drawer would hit on the bottom drawer front. All better now!

OK; the before pics of the 1954 Craftsman:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The after pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm happy with how it came out. All the Drawers were painted inside and out, and all the rust is gone, primed, and painted Hammer-Tone Grey (Rustoleum).<o></o>

4 rollers on 2 drawers were replaced with washers by the PO, and I didn't like that. The rollers were 1" diameter bearings, and the local hardware stores were of no help, nor was my collection of misc. bearings. What I did get was some shower door rollers that were 7/8" and other than having to make and install 4 drawer stops for the 3rd and 4th drawers, they work great!<o></o>

I wanted to keep the box “vintage” but I also like lined drawers, I’ve seen tool box drawers lined with heavy paper, and these days that open weave rubber mat is popular, but then I remembered that I had seen old tool boxes with their drawers lined with cork; so we went to Lowe's and got three 48" rolls of 1/16" cork mat. My Daughter helped cut them out and now we need to train them to lay flat (Or just fill the think up!). I have a bunch of wrenches and what not out of my old vintage/antique tool collections setting on the top two drawer mats as these were all cut to fit the divided compartments, and being small, they want to curl up.

But it is looking good IMHO!

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  6. evintho

evintho

Can I join the club? Just picked this up last week off of CL. Top box was made in '57, bottom box in '56. Plans call for a full resto.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. outlawmws

outlawmws

And the next project tool box:

[​IMG]

A Kennedy Carpenter's box. This one I picked up for next to nothing, and plan on using to store my &#8220;Bench&#8221; Whitney punches, my band iron cutter, possibly my angle iron cutter and the bolt cutters. The punches and other tools (except the angle iron cutter) are about two feet long, and the punches have punch dies as big as 3/8&#8221; or larger &#8211; 1/2&#8221;? They are currently buried...

These punches work just like a Whitney Jr. punch, only king sized!

The box is faded (so faded the wrinkle finish on the outside is now smooth, and it has some rust.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It also has some damage and I&#8217;ll show you how I fix that as I go. The easiest fix is bent/kinked/dinged up edges. I have a pair of Sheet metal bending pliers, actually several pairs, but the two set with 4&#8221; wide jaws are the ones I use the most, and he set I made I use 95% of the time.

You will see why if you look at the next set of pics, and look at the pair with the red handles. Those started out in life as nippers. Someone borrowed them and tried to cut hardened steel, and ruined the edges completely. So I ground them off and cut a set of jaws from some small but heavy angle, and welded the angle jaws to the nipper jaws.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you decide to make a set, clamp a piece of 20 ga. Sheet metal, so they finish with a slight gap when parallel, this will make them work better for flattening kinked or otherwise wavy metal edges, as the tips will squeeze tighter than my set as the tips are parallel to each other only with nothing .

Take a look at the before pics of the tool box edge, and the after. All I had to do was squeeze the wavy/kinked edges hard and they straightened right out!

[​IMG][​IMG]

About the only other tools I use for fixing tool boxes are a planishing hammer and body workers dolly, and my spot welder for the occasional popped out spot welds.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  8. lumbertrader

lumbertrader

Hey guys I found 4 Craftsman type Drawer slides total length 16 3/8" if anyone need them let me know $25 plus shipping for the set.

BobB
    Clayton, NC

Attached Files:

9. James A

James A

Wow, very interesting reading here!!

Here are a few very poor pictures of my first and current tool box.

MAC MB 910/920 combo with a Beach side cab. Very nice set and a style that I just had to have!! Price was right and its some what unique. No one has a set like this in the shop that I work at, and only a few have older boxes.

After I got it I stripped the paint off the two boxes, cleaned them and repainted. The bottom box was missing its logo and the top had a Snap-On glued to it. I was able to order two new logos from MAC off a current ' Drop front service chest'.
    I had one split slide, which still worked but the stop clip wouldn't catch right. The MAC guy checked and slides were still available so I ordered one. He quoted me $11.00 but when it arrived it was covered under a life time warranty. Needless to say I ordered more slides...

Attached Files:

10. James A

James A

WOW, just amazing!!! I'm very jealous, I would be proud to own that tool box!! Too bad I can't find anything like that around here!!!

11. Kume

Kume

A few shots of my 'King Dick'!!

Attached Files:

12. archivator

archivator
    from archivator

hey, a nice staff you're having! Never have come across like that! rarity?;)

13. 69supercj

69supercj

I just missed an old snap-on bottom box at an auction last week. Not sure of the age but I'd guess it was 50's or 60's vintage. It had a roll-up door on the bottom that hid the drawers when not in use. Sold for 50 bucks and was in good shape for its age.

14. Great thread, brings back memories of my restored Huot some asshat stole....:mad:

On to current events.

I am searching for an old tool box to complete a WWII wrecker.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=631300

There is also another type, unknown manufacturer.

It has the fold down front cover with a small bulge on the center of it.

Any help with identifying or locating one of these would be greatly appreciated.

I will send you some kickazzz homemade cookies for helping out to be sure.

Johnny

[​IMG]

15. texjake

texjake
    from Texas

I have this vintage galvanized metal tool box that belonged to my dad. Can any one ID it or tell me what it is worth or how old it is? :confused:

Attached Files:

16. Cygnus X1

Cygnus X1

Great boxes here!

I just picked up this old Kennedy 7 drawer at a garage sale for just a little..25 dollars along with about a dozen good endmills.
    Just guessing, but looks like 1920's vintage?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. ABSOLUTELY!!! Open to one and all!! Glad to see its still active!!

18. Igosplut

Igosplut

Old Mac

[​IMG]

And new....

[​IMG]

19. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

I didn't notice any Powr-Kraft boxes.

This one was my dad's and has to be at least 50 years old.

Attached Files:

20. i have one let me see if i have a picture.....the top left box i bought when i was about 16 or so.... that was 38 yrs ago

[​IMG]

21. Powr-Kraft was the Monkey-Wards version of Craftsman, if I remember correctly. Wonder if they were rebranded Kennedy boxes. Probably no more valuable than the Craftsman stuff but a hell of a lot more rare! :eek:

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  22. caseyrod

caseyrod

ricky b i think this i snap on 1978 the first or second year

23. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

Powr-Kraft look a lot like Remline boxes.

24. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

I had the old 3 drawer bottom Powr-Kraft also, but don't remember if I sold it or loaned it to my mom.

The big one in the picture works like new with the exception of the built in lock. The drawers have a smooth feel. I do believe they were Montgomery-Wards.

25. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

Dunlap was Sears economy line. All the Dunlap stuff I've seen has been 1950's or older.

26. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

That's beautiful. Your great grandfather was extremely talented.

27. lordairgtar

lordairgtar

When my grandfather passed away, I got into the house before my dad could have everything hauled off to the estate people or the trash. I pulled out all my grandpa's tools along with their boxes. A Craftsman box plus two Park machinists chests. One is wooden, the other steel. I use the steel one at my work and the wooden one is stored in the garage. i want to restore it and fix some of the problems it has. Grandpa worked at Briggs & Stratton as a machinist since just before WWII, did service in the navy, then back to Briggs. I did not see anyone posting a Parks tool box. They seem as nice as Kennedys. No pics yet. I will put some on if I can remember how.

28. Here are a couple of shots of my vintage Huot. When I bought it at a yard sale, the owner went into his house and came out with an original sales flyer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. I picked up the small snap on today for $70 with a bunch of sockets and misc tools in it. The other snap on i picked up for $100. a little while ago. The older craftsman boxes i bought when i got back from Nam to replace the ones stolen while i was away. The other i bought in the 8o,s when i had a garage . I use the small boxes under my benches fro drills ,saws, grinders and tools i use when i go to the shop i rent some space in as i have no garage where we live now. The anvil i picked up last week for $50., i have wanted one for ever

Attached Files: