Register now to get rid of these ads!

Upholstery folks - Vinyl from Jo-Ann's?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, Oct 18, 2011.

1. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Okay, so we're going to start some seat cushions soon. Been thinking Black Naugahyde, or stopping by a local upholstery shop or something like that would be ideal. But then last night I was at Jo-Ann Fabrics with my Wife and they had what looked to be some pretty good quality vinyl. Two kinds: "Marine Vinyl" and "Alpine Vinyl". The tags both say "PVC skin" "Polyester Back". The grain looks pretty nice on both of them. Nice texturing. It has just a bit of stretch to it and the backing is not felt-like or anything. Sort of rough, hatched texture to it.

Here's the reason I was considering it... $14.99 a yard for the Marine and $19.99 a yard, but because my wife shops there so damn much I can get it for half that price. We'll only need about 4 yards total and we're only making seat bottoms and backs for some small little buckets.

Thoughts? Is this a really dumb idea? This is our first go around at making seat covers/cushions for these buckets and figured if they suck then we can always re-make them. But if it's just not going to be durable enough, I'll skip it. I don't know the difference between this stuff and anything else. So SCHOOL ME!

Here's the link to the description: (ignore the colors shown)

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/...e=search&flag=true&PRODID=prd23669#pro_colors

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/productdetail.jsp?pageName=search&flag=true&PRODID=prd19510

Here's the "Marine Vinyl"

[​IMG]

The "Alpine Vinyl"

[​IMG]

Both have the same backing, but the Alpine seems just a tad thicker. Or maybe it's even my imagination. Slightly different grain/texture between the two...

Here's what the backing looks like...

[​IMG]

2. Flinttim

Flinttim
    from Indiana

I use mostly 32 oz vinyl. I think what I have seen at JoAnns is a lighter weight. Might still work for your application. The marine grade will have a different backing due to moisture exposure.

3. verde742

verde742

Comparing the two, What would be closer to 1962 Impala material?

4. 28 chevy

28 chevy
    from NE Pa

Doin my whole car in JoAnn stuff. My first attempt at it. Cheaper is better because I expect to have to throw some away
    j

5. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

They carry almost every weight vinyl you can imagine at Jo-Ann's, and all of it is good quality for the wweight. If you're getting the $14.99 a yard stuff it's most likely the heavy stuff.
    I've done two cars using their naugahyde in various weights. Thinner for door panels, and heavy for areas that get more use/abuse. Just finished doing the Austin this spring, but my other car has been done for years.
    Great stuff at very reasonable prices. I usually wait for the 40% off sale and stock up. They have them pretty often.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Here are the Specifications on the Naugahyde that I used......

Product Features
    * Superior tear strength
    * Easily tailored
    * Non-migratory plasticizers to retain a soft and supple feel
    * -20º cold crack
    * 54” wide
    * Weight: 37.7 ounces per linear yard ( +/-5%)
    * Static dissipative slip finish
    * Resistant to scuffs and scrapes
    * Produced from environmentally friendly materials and processes
    * Made with pride in the USA

Durability
    When subjected to rigorous abrasion exposure using the industry accepted Wyzenbeek test standard, Naugahyde with Advanced BeautyGard exceeds:
    Over 500,000 cycles (one million rubs) on 1.21 cotton/polyester sateen
    (standard clothing material).
    Over 50,000 cycles on #8 cotton duck
    (canvas/tent material).
    Over 15,000 cycles on #10 cotton duck
    (heavy canvas/tent material).

Serviceability
    Naugahyde with Advanced BeautyGard provides outstanding protection in difficult medical and health care environments. This product contains an agent to protect it against bacterial and fungal micro-organisms.

Disinfectability
    Naugahyde with advanced BeautyGard has been formulated to achieve a superior level of disinfectability with disinfectant products containing sodium hypochlorite (common household bleach) diluted 1:10.

Flammability
    Formulated to meet the small scale flammability* test requirements contained in the following specifications:
    California fire Regulation (Bulletin 117, Sec. E)
    Automotive (MVSS302)
    BIFMA (Screen Test, Sec. 4.6. 1. 1)
    Boston Fire Code (BFD IX-1)
    CID A-A-2950-A (Federal Standard 191A test method 5903) replaces CCC-A-680a
    Upholstery Requirements of FAR 25.853
    Port Authority of NY and NJ.

Recommended Applications
    Office, Truck seating, Hotel / Motel, RV / Van upholstery, Restaurant, Auto trim, Lounge, Airports, Hospital, Family room, Nursing home, Living room, Dental clinic, Casual dining

Cleanability
    Cleaning is a breeze with Naugahyde brand fabric and its advanced BeautyGard protective finish. While staining and soiling exposures are common to upholstery fabrics, Naugahyde's sulfide stain resistant formulation allows most to be removed using the following methods:
    Step 1: Light soiling, the most common of problems.
    Clean with warm water and liquid dish soap an a sponge or soft cloth.
    Step 2: Heavy soiling.
    Clean with a soft white cloth dampened with lighter fluid (naphtha). Rub gently and rinse with a water dampened cloth.
    Step 3: For more difficult stains.
    Clean with a soft white cloth with a solution of household bleach (sodium hypochlorite); 10% bleach, and 90% water Rub gently then rinse with a water dampened cloth to remove bleach concentration.

7. Scooter...If you can get that for half price,,,I dont see where you can go wrong....I buy from Wholesale uph supply house and cant buy it that cheap.Make sure your sewing machine has a walking foot..

8. monkeywrenching

monkeywrenching
    from maryland

I have used the $14.99 for rear hat trays and door panels before with no problem. Speaker enclousures are easy also. The nice thing is if you have a problem they are local so you have no down time. With heavier ounce vinyls, moulding them and stretching can be a task. You won't have sewing machine issues either. You might want to sign up for their mailing list.

9. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

The marine vinyl at Jo Ann's will work great. The other stuff with the more expanded backing is not as great and won't hold up as long. The catch is though that if you have a even a small upholstry and trim fabrics shop in your town, it will be quite a bit cheaper to go that route, plus buying all the other supplies like piping and the proper threads and such will be much easier.

10. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

Scooter, my seats are Jo-Ann Fabric Vinyl. i don't have a ton of time on them but so far so good.

Attached Files:

wicarnut likes this.
  11. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I bought my Naugahyde for $22.99 a yard and it's 56" wide. If you're doing just the seats you're only going to need like 2-3 yards so I would just get the right stuff from a trim shop and that way you can get some thread and scrim backed foam.

12. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Just wait 6 days until you're here and feel the the Vinyl I bought and see what you think. :D

13. Scooter,
    The wife does all sorts of custom upholstery, and she uses Jo-Ann stuff all the time. It's true some of it isn't as heavy as what you can get from auto/marine suppliers, but anywhere it's not getting pulled hard (like seat collars) it works great.

14. Squablow

Squablow

Kinda totally unrelated but I got a massive chunk of heavy black vinyl for nothing, it was a pickup truck tonneau cover. Thinking on making something out of it, should be real durable stuff. I've also heard of guys using leather off of couches from the curb.

caseywheels likes this.
  15. csimonds

csimonds

I have used the Marine Vinyl on a few tractor seats that sit outside all year, no cracks, no splits, and my ass doesn't get soaked when I sit on it when it is raining or snowing. I also did my seats in the Buick with black "Duck Cloth" and they are holding up just fine!
    Chuck

16. Brandi

Brandi

My roadster is done out of Jo-Ann's stuff, because I couldn't find what I wanted at the upholstery supply. Seems to have held up well with all the UV destroying it and a few go's in the rain. You should be ok. I second the motion on the sewing machine with the walking foot, though.

17. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

just make sure to save your pattern or even your muslin 1st draft in case you have to re do it. then you dont have to do all the foot work again figureing it out for run 2

18. Go for it... at that price you can afford to make mistakes. I would use the marine vinyl, walking foot for sure.

19. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow! Thanks for all the great input guys! I appreciate it!

I don't need to buy it right this second. So I will check out an upholstery shop first just to see what they have. Jeffrey's correct. I need thread and piping anyway. I don't need a whole lot 2, 3, maybe 4 yards tops in case I screw up. And YES! Will do a practice run with muslin first FOR SURE!

Jeffrey, I'll bring a sample of this stuff with me so I can compare it to yours. Looking forward to seeing what you did with that '35! If you get a chance, can you post a picture of what the backing looks like on your Naugahyde?

Machine I'll be using is a real heavy JUKI Industrial machine. Unfortunately it's not a walking foot, so I'll just have to grin and bare it. It is what it is. Not going to buy another machine just to do this one job. But, I'm not going through tons of layers of foam, either. It will actually be mostly stuffed rolls and some piping... Whole 'nother subject.

20. i have used it before and i go for the heavier weight stuff.

21. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

My backing is similar to the stuff that you posted.

22. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

if your buying the Vinyl you may as well just buy extra and make your own piping then it actualy matches, id doubt youd find matching piping on the shelf the exact size youd want and its preety simple to do. looking forward to seeing what you end up with as your so detil orientated on everything on the build so far :)

23. Blackmaria60

Blackmaria60

Luckily, there's an auto upholstery wholesaler here in town that will sell to car guys. I get my goodies there.

24. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OOooooooo! I didn't think of doing that! That's a wonderful idea! Seems like a no brainer. Is just simply the material wrapped around a nylon or polyethylene tubing??

Thank Jeffy Cakes!

25. Flinttim

Flinttim
    from Indiana

Yes, but you'll need a welt foot on your sewing machine.

26. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

This is some of their vinyl its only been in there 1 season but so far so good. My wife somehow got it really cheap when it was on sale. IIRC 7.99@ yard

Attached Files:

• seat.jpg
      seat.jpg
      File size:
      328.4 KB
      Views:
    wicarnut and PONTNAK123 like this.
  27. plywude

plywude
    Member Emeritus
    from manteca ca

Scooter......... check out Veterans Upholstery in LA they are a large supply house that I bought my leather and vinyl from I think I paid under $11.00 for vinyl......

28. I thought you had to cut it on the bias or some weird shit? My wife made some piping for some patio furniture and I remember she had to do something other than just wrapping it?

29. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh geesh... I don't know. Hopefully someone will chime in on the concept.

Russco! Bitchin' interior! Looks real nice!

Thank plywude! Heard of them. Found a good place for foam just off of the 710 as well. Supposed to be incredibly cheap and incredibly high quality and have a huge variety. Place is called "All Size Foam & Fabrics" in Vernon, CA.

30. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry for the stupid question, but... What's the welting foot for? :eek: Might actually have one. I think we have a good dozen or so extra foot attachments for this thing. Is that actually to work with the piping?