Register now to get rid of these ads!

Just curious (Phx. hist.)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by landseaandair, Mar 10, 2009.

1. lanny haas

lanny haas
    from Phoenix AZ

those sheep and Donkeys belonged to John F. Long, the home builder of the time. he lived there untill he moved to I think west Indain school road, in a big house, circle drive, lake in the middle, nice place, that he later sold to Amanda Blake, AKA miss Kitty.

els likes this.
  2. Tuff Tin

Tuff Tin

Does anyone know where or what happened to Steve Doll? I met him at Paso Robles in 1988 and haven't heard a thing since. He was there with a Grabrowski clone and a 53 Merc with a 57 Olds roof. I guess he was a disc jockey here in the valley. I have looked but found nothing.
    Mike

els likes this.
  3. cabriolethiboy

cabriolethiboy

Still looking for someone that might know some history on this car.
    [​IMG]

els likes this.
  4. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Last edited: May 20, 2014
    els likes this.
  5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Damn, that was cool! It's so tough to drive down the 202 heading back into town and see the tower abandoned out there... Sure would be nice to see it up and going again!

els likes this.
  6. wetspeed

wetspeed
    from So Cal

Very true Chip. The loss of Beeline is sad...

els likes this.
  7. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

No racing, but I wonder if the Tribe would at least allow a little reunion/picnic on the grounds?

els likes this.
  8. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Not a bad idea! I have a buddy that is pretty close with the tribe. Might get the foot in the door...

els likes this.
  9. wetspeed

wetspeed
    from So Cal

That would be cool...

els likes this.
  10. Another automotive parts/repair iconic shop is closing its doors. Karls Custom v dub is no more. I went in there early last week and Bill was just about the only thing still standing in the showroom area. A victim of the economy and deteriorating health of Karl were causing the landmark vw store to close. He said it was rumored that the building is sold to a bbq restaraunt on 42nd st and indian school. Not sure what will become of the mesa store.

Looks like The Wedge and Dougs Bugs and Bunnies are the go to vw places now after 30+ years.

els likes this.
  11. wetspeed

wetspeed
    from So Cal

WOW... Spent a lot of time there in the 80's. Dan Lawson's Competition Engineering is alive and well..

els likes this.
  12. valiantracer

valiantracer
    from Glendale

The speed shop located on Bethany Home road and the I-17 was the House of Speed, owned by John Lane. They later moved to Grand ave above Camelback.

els likes this.
  13. Anyone know if that was the same shop as Gary Stanton's place?

els likes this.
  14. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

els likes this.
  15. wetspeed

wetspeed
    from So Cal

I think that Karl's is where I might have first met Chip (need Louvers) around 1981 or 82 as I was building my Full Body/Fendered (Hi-Boy) VW Street Off Road Car. I met several other close friends there and spent quite a bit of time in the Mid '80 after work working on Dan Lawson Oval Window VW Drag Car and eating Chips and Salsa from next door... I'm with Chip it's like an old friend dying...

els likes this.
  16. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

NNAAHHH.... Central ave McDonalds about the same time frame! Favorite quote of your from back then "Let's fight them - They're funny looking and there's only ten of them"!!! Just for clarity, there was only three of us! Jim is a big boy(wetspeed)!

els likes this.
  17. wetspeed

wetspeed
    from So Cal

That sounds about right, sound like me around that time and your memory is better than mine... LOL By then I was a Central Ave Veteran... So much fun there on Central... BTW I hooked up with Chuck Abney @ a Rockabilly event a month ago in San Diego...

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
    els likes this.
  18. T McG

T McG
    from Phoenix

This is such a great threat. I have only been here about ten years but have met a few of the guys mentioned here- Tom Yeager does in fact have this 40 delivery.

els likes this.
  19. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

els likes this.
  20. azsnow

azsnow

Well what happened then? Phoenix has the worst drivers I have ever encountered! I hate driving here, no matter the time of day because there is always some idot doing 45 in the fast lane!

els likes this.
  21. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

And every other idiot doing 85 in the slow lane to get around him!!!

els likes this.
  22. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

.....and nobody is actually FROM here. Everyone from cities across the country come here so they can bitch about how crappy it is here. MOVE.

els likes this.
  23. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

I remember well those last two points! I friend and I both moved to Phx after high school and we use to share a ride home at the holidays. We always laughed about how people back home would think we'd lost our minds because of how we'd been "programmed" to drive in Phoenix. Basically, drive like it's a race all the time and don't event think of stopping for pedestrians, wrecks or anything else. Tailgate (at speed) and don't look at the other driver to give an inch, either.
    As for the nobody lives here thing, that's the truth. At work I knew people from Hawaii, Vegas, Chicago, Salinas, Los Angeles and pretty much everywhere else. But only a couple people that actually went to high school in Phoenix.

els likes this.
  24. coyotedav

coyotedav
    from arizona

els likes this.
  25. Cool! Put it on You tube so we can all see it.

els likes this.
  26. coyotedav

coyotedav
    from arizona

have to transfer it to ??? dvd ?? not sure what i need to do. but as soon as i get it i will try and post it! thx,dave

els likes this.
  27. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

A client of mine just found a place that can transfer from any medium to dvd. I'll ask him where when I see him.

els likes this.
  28. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

I'd love to see that footage. In the mean time, here's some from '63 that I don't think has been posted yet. Looks like flag starts.

Last edited: May 20, 2014
    els likes this.
  29. coyotedav

coyotedav
    from arizona

wow, great. any help would be appriciated. [email protected]

els likes this.
  30. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

That's 35mm film... We should to talk the guys at Glendale 9 into running it. From the sounds of the ad its good to go.

els likes this.