Register now to get rid of these ads!

Taking a job in Petaluma, Ca. - What's out there?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrHavard, Oct 17, 2011.

1. I've just been offered a job in Petaluma,Ca so it looks like I'll be needing to relocate there pretty soon. I haven't spent too much time in the North Bay even though Sacramento is only about 100 miles away. Can any of the locals give me some tips on stuff to do, preferably car related and family friendly? My wife is pretty interested in the historic downtown area. We'd like to try and rent a house in that area. Is it pretty difficult to get a decent sized garage? Any insight would be great. Thanks!

2. jim allison

jim allison

There are houses for rent on the west side but a good garage is harder to find. Lot's of car stuff and just a great place to live. I've lived here for years and would gladly show you around......

3. Yeah I need at least a one car garage. I am trying to sell our belair project right now but I'm planning on keeping my truck so I'd love to get some garage space. I'm actually really looking forward to the change in scenery. Thanks for the offer Jim.

4. 32coupedeville

32coupedeville
    from cincy

didnt they film parts of american grafiti there?

5. rick finch

rick finch

My son Chris lives in the older western section & works downtown.....great little town. Garage space and affordable rent on the west side (and the most desirable) will be a tall order to fill. Good luck on the move, you will like it there.

...and yes parts of American Graffiti were filmed there.

6. old wood 51

old wood 51
    from NAPA CA.

You will enjoy living out this way, Petaluma is a cool town, they have a few car shows in the late summer.If you have skater kids there is ramp rats skate park, If you have small kids Sonoma is just over the hill and the have a place called Train town, Napa is about 30 minutes east for food/wine (date night with the wife).

7. aojo

aojo

Chickens.... back in the 50s you could smell the chicken "factories" driving along the 101 highway.. and that was a fair distance from the town.. supposed to be a nice place to live these days.

8. nimrodracing50

nimrodracing50

Aloha,
    I heard it's nice there. I also believe that it is the home of the "ugliest dog contest". Should be a nice cruzin' town.

9. Yeah I did see one chicken 'processing' plant while I was driving around the town. All in All it seems like a pretty good town.

10. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

I was just in Petaluma in July, I hadn't been there for years and had forgotten what a nice little village it was, ya gotta love the old downtown part and I'm sure they have the hot rod scene happening being close to the bay area...I'm sure you will settle right in.

11. Are there any 'social groups' here on the Hamb for the North Bay area? I didn't see any when I searched...

12. hoof22

hoof22
    Member Emeritus

I've lived in Petaluma for decades, wouldn't want to live anywhere else...The city (SF) is close by, the coast is 20 minutes way, and a 10 minute drive in ANY direction and you're in the country. They are big on "urban boundary's" here, so the towns are not connected, they're surrounded by open space, most of it "Williams Act" farmland, meaning it cannot be developed and must remain agricultural land- forever. Lived on the West Side for many years, built a big garage a number of years ago, and it's so full, I might need to build another! It's the kind of town where you actually see Hot Rods driving around on a regular basis! it's nice here, you'll like it...and yes, American Graffiti, (among many others) was filmed here...

13. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

Petaluma poultry!! That is one of my customers:D I like working over there, I dont like driving back in the afternoons though:mad:. The weather is a little cooler over there most of the warmer times we face in sac area. There are always nice hotrods running around too!! Just think everytime you go for a cruise now you will be able to go through some of the best scenery northern california has to offer! The chickens dont go away though....LOL

14. I got to work this morning and while I didnt smell any chickens I damn sure could smell the manure :D. I'm looking forward to being able to cruise around and not feel like I'm driving in an oven. Its a total pita to drive my truck on those 110 degree days here in Sac.

15. I love all of the open space and the west side of Petaluma, that is where we are really going to try and find a place.

16. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Rexrods.com

17. hammeredrods

hammeredrods

I stayed there after speed week. loved it, im a bit jelous i cant move there myself.sorry we had to leave ,went to a cheese factory then wine tasting at petaluma portworks .the rest of that day was a bit blurry. Good luck dude

18. i ran a wrecker yellow chevy at Petaluma Speedway 20 years ago
    there are quite a fur ham members there
    there is quite a bit around there to do depending what you like
    i will be in the bay area during Christmas and Sac around 20th Av

19. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

neat little town, West side is older and East side is newer, don't have to live there, you can always commute from the nearby's. I am just south in the Peoples Republic of Marin. welcome to the north bay.

20. studhud

studhud

Hey if ya can't find what your looking for on the west side look at pengrove it's 10 15 minutes away Tardel is over that way. My brother has a place there with a two car garage and a 2500 foot barn on a couple acres. His neighbors a cool as hell ect. The west side is cool but noise and neighbors 7 feet over a fence can be a bitch anywhere.
    Dave Hitch
    FBBF

21. Rattleon

Rattleon
    from Idaho

My brother and his wife live there. I've been there to visit and love the area. Really dug the downtown area and yes most of American Graffiti was filmed there other than some first night filming done in San Rafael just south of there. Always saw a hotrod or 2 drivin' around when I was there and I think Vern Tardels flathead ranch is just north up in Santa Rosa area.

22. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I'd love to live up that way! Beautiful country!

23. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

I just got back from Sears Point, watched the drags and the "drifters" trying to crash LOL Gotta check out McNears/Mystic Theater downtown. I'm about 1/2 hr east, we used to run at the Speedway, spent a lot of Saturday nights over there. And yeah, you can still see where the "Graffiti" '55 rolled over

24. alfin32

alfin32
    Member Emeritus
    from Essex, Ma.

Also home to one of the best car collections in the world.
    Owned by Arturo Keller, but unfortunately not open to the public.
    Probably the best MB collection in the world, accompanied by Ferrari, Alfa, Hispano, etc.
    Super nice guy, but very private.

25. Wow, I didn't know there was so much to Petaluma. Thanks for all of the info guys. I've got about two months to find a home to rent so hopefully we'll find a pretty good place. I would be moving the family now but I'm also having my second child in about a week!

26. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Bet that's gonna hurt :eek:

Congrats :D- but don't tell the wife "YOU'RE" having it- the knot on your head will REALLY hurt :p

27. It's a great place to live especially the historic downtown places in OLD town,,ABC wide world of sports used to host the arm wrestling championship here,,they have american graffiti show here every year,,,,they will close off Kentucky street for dancing and the beer garden is close if you want a cold one....there's a great sense of community here where people try to help others...there's the Carolsel fund that throws a big bash at the veterans building every year to raise funds for kids with catastropic illnesses.....we've got a bolling alley with disco night!!....good luck findin a place,,,let me know if u need help regards gump

28. Well, officially 'half moved' to Petaluma. I'm currently renting a room on the east side of town. Is there anything cool to do during the week after work? I'm still spending my weekends back in Sacramento until my family can move out. I went to the Whole Foods on Washington the other night and saw a pretty rad 48-50 F1 with a white tonneau cover, so that was cool!

29. Wow I haven't thought about this thread in a while. I'm glad to say that officially as of March 1st my entire family will be living in Rhonert Park. We're all pretty excited about it. Anything good coming up?

30. 5Wcoupe

5Wcoupe
    from L.A., Ca.

Petaluma is a great town and it's surrounded by great places like Sebastopol and the whole Russian River area is as close as Ive been to paradise on earth.
    While you're scouting around, make sure you take the family to Occidental for pizza at the old Union Hotel.