Register now to get rid of these ads!

chevy ll 4 banger ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lilbill, Nov 24, 2006.

1. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

Back to the top .gets the thread moved to the top of the current 1st page it's just 1 way to bring an old thread back into view

2. 17dracing

17dracing
    from Indiana

I just sold my Lil 27 T coupe , that I put a 153 in . 4 cyl. into . (.030 over with marine head ) Now I'm building a 27 T sedan and getting ready to put another 153 in it . My last one had a 350 turbo trans and shift kit , and "WOW" that baby chirp 'd the tires all the time during shifts . I'm setting the new build up with a powerglide and shift kit install ,because of that !!!!

3. 1929CDAN

1929CDAN

Hope to see some build/motor install pics,

4. 1929CDAN

1929CDAN

Put my merc.cruiser in my 29 and I think the mounts turned out ok. I thought I would post some pics to get this thread on top again its been lost too long. Lets see some more chevy ll motors.
    29 ford pics 001.jpg

29 ford pics 002.jpg

29 ford pics 003.jpg

29 ford pics 004.jpg

29 ford pics 006.jpg

29 ford pics 007.jpg

29 ford pics 005.jpg

29EHV8 likes this.
  5. Drew.Morris

Drew.Morris

Those mounts look great. I have a 2.5 in my 30 coupe. I just got a 3.0 and i am going to build it for more HP.

Attached Files:

29EHV8 likes this.
  6. mahalic

mahalic

Drew, it appears like you are using the Chevy V8 to Ford V8 adapter. I have one of those sitting on the shelf. A friend used the same set up and it works fine except it was necessary to do some body work to clear the top of the adapter on the back of the engine, can't remember which.

I haven't made up my mind (I'm slow) which trans to use behind my 3.0 if I can ever find the time to start on my car. My choices are your set up, a five speed or a 700R4. All three are sitting on the floor waiting for me to come alive.

The Ford V8 choice allows me to use my existing diff with hyd brakes and Kelsey Hayes wheels. The other two require an open drive shaft and rear end.

Mahalic

7. I think I had the same problem your friend did. I have a 4 cyl Chevy II adapted to a '39 trans in my '32. The boss for the top bolt hole on the adapter interfered with the firewall on my '32. The solution was easy. That bolt is used for the V8 but it is not used on the 4 cyl. I just ground off the boss and everything fit fine. With this set up you can use your existing diff with hyd brakes and Kelsey Hayes wheels.

Charlie Stephens

8. Drew.Morris

Drew.Morris

Yes, I had to notch the lip on the fire wall were the floor sets in the groove. I chose this setup so I would be able to run the stock rear axle and not have to do very many mods to the chassis. It goes down the highway at 70 MPH with ease. Its fun to drive and gets lots of attention around here.
    Drew

9. chiliman

chiliman
    from liberty mo
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Drew do you have the measure ments for your motor mounts front and rear plam to instal one in my 30 pickup thanks

10. chiliman

chiliman
    from liberty mo
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

11. 1929CDAN

1929CDAN

I`m sorry I don`t kind of made them on the fly. Just made sure engine was level and straight.

12. Dapostman

Dapostman

What RPM are you turning at 70?

13. roger gerow

roger gerow

I'm running a 4 banger from a 1979 chevy monza, with a cross flow head, in my 1931 Model A. Used the chevy V/8 bellhousing/ford tranny adapter to a '39 ford tranny. Specialty Ford Parts of Rosemead, Calif had the brackets for the pedals and wishbone atachments. Had to recess the firewall about 1 1/2 inchess to clear the head.

14. NORSON

NORSON

Back in the '70's I built a 153 for my 4x4 light weight race "jeep". I used merc pan and pick-up, Distributor and cam and head. Also used 283 fueler pistons (from one bank). The domes didn't interfear with the head. Ran great. Norm

15. bob cutler

bob cutler

Quick question the 2.5 in a chevy s10, is the trans bell housing a different pattern only shared with the 2.8 v6?

16. They make an excellent banger powered jalopy, I don't know if one would fly in a rat but in a jalopy or a beater they would do real well.

Lots of go fast goodies for them they were used in midgets and also in what they called Pony stock back here. The only banger that I think would do better would be the pushrod motor from an S-10. Basically a more modern rendition of the old mercruiser/chevyII.

17. Drew.Morris

Drew.Morris

Sorry I don't have any measurements on had. I can take a few pictures and try to gets ome measurements for you this week end. I used the front four bolt holes on the motor and made a plate that goes from one frame horn to another. The rear mounts are the original model A's with some modifications to bolt to the two side bolts on the chevy bell housing. The header came from Cliffords. I fabricated the intake maniflod from some aluminum channel, angle and conduit. Drew

18. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

It's called the metric pattern, kind of complicates things for very little reason...the older motors have the v-8 pattern, and also the v-8 crank flange, which makes lots of stuff easier, if you can find one. Luckily, Speedway sell an adapter which I've used a couple of times, works OK as well.

19. chiliman

chiliman
    from liberty mo
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

How long are your pieces of angle looks as if the driver side is alot longer speedway motor has frame mounts and pads all I need to know is the lenth you made yours want to mount the rear like Drew did his thanks

20. ray-jay

ray-jay
    from Buford GA

I've been cogitating on the 153 and 181 engines and it looks like the crankshaft of the 181 was 'modernized' somewhere along the way. The early cranks are FULLY counterweighted like an all out racing 4 cylinder whereas the later cranks just about don't have any counterweights. This is from looking at cranks on ebay.

Kansas Racing Products sells an iron 4 cylinder custom block to accept many different inline 4 or V8 cylinder heads. This block is based on the Chevy II 153 architecture. Lots of money. As was mentioned, when using a V8 head the pushrods cause problems. Along with relocating them you also have to seal the bottom of the head where the pushrods are. Normally this is in the valley of the V8 block.

21. ray-jay

ray-jay
    from Buford GA

In an earlier post you said 15 mpg but with the Holley carb. Did just the change to the Weber get you to 28 or were there other changes ? What Weber did you go to ?

Thanks
    Ray

22. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The drivers side mount is longer. because the motor mounting boss on that side is much closer to the centerline of the engine, due to the block casting to accommodate the cam timing gear.

23. 1929CDAN

1929CDAN

QUOTE=chiliman;7282890]How long are your pieces of angle looks as if the driver side is alot longer speedway motor has frame mounts and pads all I need to know is the lenth you made yours want to mount the rear like Drew did his thanks[/QUOTE]

Hope this will help.
    scan0008.jpg

24. chiliman

chiliman
    from liberty mo
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Hope this will help.
    View attachment 1520370 [/QUOTE]
    Thank you very much just what I need now if Drew will give me the same layout for the rear of the motor to the stock A mounts

25. chiliman

chiliman
    from liberty mo
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Drew that would be great because I want to use the rear mounts like you did what will be differnt is I will use chevy bellhousing with adapter plate and go to 86 f-100 four speed overdrive will leave the center crossmember as a member in our club makes a open drive shaft A rearend that uses the cross member to mount the radis rods from rear end in stalling one in my 30 fourdoor now but want to go with the four cylinder chevy in my 30 rodster pickup thanks for all the pictures and measurements you can get

26. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

If you're talking about the biscuit mounts that speedway offers, the ones I had split within a couple years, got new ones from chassis eng. w/ the steel band, have been in use for 9 years w/out a problem... something to think about.

dave

27. chiliman

chiliman
    from liberty mo
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

thanks dave willl definatly check them out when i get ready to pull all this together

28. For what it is worth I was told you are better off using the original GM mounts with the 4 cyl engine since they have more movement (of course that means building your brackets accordingly).

Charlie Stephens

29. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Are you trying to tell us the little 4 vibrates a bit?? LOL

dave

30. bigblock352

bigblock352
    from Florida

Sorry for the late reply. Yes I swapped carbs to a 32/36 weber. MUCH better throttle responce and MPG's. over 10,000 miles on her now and going strong.

It ticks a lot though. Did from day one. Not sure if thats normal. I've had no issues though.