Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 1948-52 New Old Style Kustoms

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by J.B., Dec 12, 2010.

1. Originally Posted by 50Fraud [​IMG]
    Thanks, guys. By the time I started driving as a teenager in SoCal (1956) the taildragger style was ancient history, so I had never driven a car like this. I drove my '36 as a hot rod for several years, but got the urge to try a Calori-style stance on it around '03. I drove it as a taildragger for a year, but I always felt like an imposter driving somebody else's car. The car registered its opinion by throwing off the left skirt and running over it, so I took them off, raised the rear a few inches, and put big tires back on. It looked like this when I sold it in '06:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It changed hands twice, and the current owner "fixed it up" to look like this:

[​IMG]

Selling a car that you care about is a crapshoot.

I know this car well it is up here in Idaho, I see it every weekend, the guy is really nice but I think he ruined the car. The car when it first showed up was just fantastic and i drooled every day I saw it before they redid it to its current condition.

2. thinkfink

thinkfink

Agree.

Can share some update on mine...not perfect, but I try to get as far as I can (credits for the built go to charlespoelmans.nl)
    And it will get bumpers and be slightly higher again. For the stance just look at the old post #135

Attached Files:

3. coupe30

coupe30

My friends Denis from(Barcelona) with his '46 Ford and Cristina from Balaguer with his '50 Ford (Catalonia) Spain.

Deni's 46
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cristina's 50's
    [​IMG]

4. McPhail

McPhail

We've done a little to this one. the rear quarters will soon be spotted in with black lacquer. then it's off to circle city hotrods to get a modern suspension and drivetrain from Jimmy White. Bias plys will remain and it'll look old from the outside. I am gonna have a nailhead in her though.

Attached Files:

5. Nice !! and nice choice in shops to do the work.Quality craftsmanship and quality people cant go wrong with C.C.H.R.

6. Studebakester

Studebakester
    from Oxnard, CA

That car is looking fabulous. I love the color. Good job.

7. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

went back through the entire post tonight, some outstanding cars. one thing I noticed is there are not many carson tops rides. is there a reason. expect to see a merc or two but nothing else. thought maybe there might be some 49-52 chevy's with them. not sure I can remember seeing a similar year Ford with one in this coverage..

8. rattlesnakehoey

rattlesnakehoey
    from Australia

Yep, he sure "fixed it up good". What a motherfixer.

9. thinkfink

thinkfink

Thanks for the kind words Studebakester.

10. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I think so too. It appears that he copied this car about 80% of the way, but then finished it off as a generic street rod rather than a taildragger:

[​IMG]

Truthfully, I don't understand why he bought my car in the first place -- he changed everything that I had done to it except the top chop and the blown flattie.

11. BICKFORD

BICKFORD
    BANNED
    from CA

You must not what seen post # 126 and 127. there are a few carson tops on there. Im sure one reason for not seeing them now a days is cause of cost.

Those car look really good!

12. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

I would suspect that the reason is that they are a total Pain In the Ass. They are too heavy and awkward for one person and even with two it is difficult. Then what do you do with the top when you have it removed? If it rains you are screwed. They look great but the idea of using the car topless is ruined.

B:)B

13. shiftervic

shiftervic
    from So. Cal.

14. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

I think the main reason for not having many nice Carson-style tops today is
    that there are VERY few that make them correct. The cost can't be the only
    issue, because there is a lot of money put in to these cars anyway and I
    don't think that an additional cost of a couple of grand would stop everyone.

If you look at the pics from the 1940's there were plenty everywhere. In the
    streets pics, at the lake shots etc. And I don't think the average salary is
    lower today than in the 1940's.

With Gaylord and Carson making tops for so many cars, maybe they could cut
    some costs in having alrady standard fabricated material for different tops.
    Like the 1940 Ford and others.

My next kustom will be a Gaylord/Carson-top car. :D

Here's a pretty nice top made by the owner here in Sweden.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. BICKFORD

BICKFORD
    BANNED
    from CA

i also think its the cost of a convertible that make it really tough. people want a shit load for one. that why ive been thinking on converting my 41 chevy coupe into a carson top.

16. Special Ed

Special Ed

17. I think there was recently a video on the Hamb of a camera filming the streets of downtown L.A. from the back of a truck and it shows plenty of cars in the late 40s and I think there is one Hotrod and 1 custom.I would use that as a guage instead of pictures from lakebed meets or from pictures that were shot around custom shops or around any type of auto gathering.I would look on that video to see if there were plenty of these padded tops amoung the average population of automobiles.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  18. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

Thanks for your input, Ed. You are a very good source and I always have big
    respect for your knowledge. I should re-phrase that sentence. I am also
    aware that there are more padded tops today than in those days. I was
    referring to the kustoms being built today in the preference of this thread,
    1948-52 style. Of course, among the regular traffic the kustom cars and hot
    rods were not more than a small part of the daily view.

It is true that I only have seen pictures from the 1940-53 era. I do have a
    great amount of pics from different occations and I see "many" padded tops
    on both the mild to wild kustoms. This is usually all California cars and not
    magazine pictures. Mostly private shots. But I definitely wasn't there.

My thought was that these top-makers could have had ready fabricated
    steel bows for certain models done by a metal shop, for example. Like Sam
    Barris had a metal shop doing certain parts that the Barris Shop used in their
    kustom work. This was just a very personal thought and not at all proven in
    any way.

If I should have a padded top I would never take it off and ruin the lines... :D

Your opinion is always VERY welcome. Thanks!
    I'm just an enthusiast, not an expert by any means.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  19. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Regarding the picture above, one of the articles written has a caption that says, in the 40`s, they averaged more than 15 a week. Sounds like Plenty to me.

20. bigbadad

bigbadad

Brilliant, brilliant thread. Probably the most informative thing I have ever read on the internet and certainly the most interesting. Now a couple of questions because I'm new to this - tyres and interiors. What tyres, so tires :))) would be used on a custom from this era? I realise they would be wide white cross plies but any particular brand would be the hot ticket, firestone, goodyear, BF Goodrich?

Also interiors, what would they be like from this era? Fairly simple vinyl tuck and roll, 2 tone? Pleated headline? Whilst my car could never be included in this thread, it's an early 50's custom look i'm aiming for and I need a bit of guidance on the finer details.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed (positively) to this thread.

Adam

21. Janne

Janne

22. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

Really nice Merc but the Olds Fiesta flippers are '53-55....just a tad too late.......I know because I am using them also......

CB

23. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

Unless I am mistaken, I think the grill bar is made from 1954 Pontiac pieces? Time machine?

CB

24. chaddilac

chaddilac

Not pontiac... I think it's a packard grill opening!

25. 50Fraud

50Fraud

^^ Yep -- '51-52 Packard Clipper:

Attached Files:

26. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

I think you're right, Chad, now that I look at it again......

CB

27. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Brucie you are a Custom maniac...I mean that in a good way.

28. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

Aw, Skip.......you're just sayin' that 'cause you love me...

I am digging this thread soooooo much......THANKS to my great friend, J.B. for starting it and keeping it on track......best custom thread I've seen on here.....

CB

29. [​IMG]
    This car is just on point.

30. If I only had that time machine I always dream about.:D:D