Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

2. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

3. Harms Way

Harms Way

If memory serves me correctly,.. The M-2's were mostly pedestal or pylon mount,.. The M-60's were the same way or sometimes hung,.. the M-60 was 7.62 NATO .308 Cal,.. The M-2 ( Good ol' Ma') was a air cooled .50 cal.

After thinking about it,.. I'm thinking it was probably a M-60

Yep,... I'm sure it was a M-60

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  4. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

5. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

Last but not least some shots of the flooding damage and the packed junkyards in KC in 1951

6. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Must have been, or the tiger wouldn't have had a head left. :eek: Still, I like to look into details about weapons and ordnance, since things have changed regularly.

7. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

RoadKill, I don't know how you do it. I love junked-car shots and plain ol' junkyard
    shots. And you are always finding pix I have never seen before! All THREE of these
    challenge the gray matter, though!

[​IMG]

Is there a '35 cabriolet in this jumble of junk???

[​IMG]

The roofline and the leafy veil up front are throwing me here. About a '30, but is this an Auburn? Jordan? What???

[​IMG]

TON of shit happening in this CLASSIC Kansas City junkyard pic! Wow! Is that an old Jenny barn-stormer?
    My WAG on the photo year is 1920, without playing it safe. Anybody ELSE wanna try and date the pic?

8. Detroit Riot pics '40s photos Wayne State University

[​IMG]

9. Detroit Riots 1967 (photo Wayne St University)
    [​IMG]

10. Detroit Riots 1967 (photo - Wayne St University)
    [​IMG]

11. Detroit Riots 1967 (photo - Wayne St University)
    [​IMG]

12. Looks like he spent some time on the KC Public Library photo collection site; these are from the Kansas City Journal-Post and Kansas City Landmarks Commission collections.

The sedan kinda looks '32 Plymouth-ish to me. The early pic is dated 1920.

13. It's hilarious sometimes when you poke around the history of your home town. While looking for the answer to Jimi's question above, I came across this shot, titled "Annie Chambers Brothel" dated circa 1930s:
    [​IMG]

And here's Leannah "Annie" Loveall Chambers herself. Looks like a madam, right? :)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  14. automaticslim

automaticslim
    from new jersey

Ah! Very cool. Thanks for clearing that up.

15. Harms Way

Harms Way

And a couple more,....

16. Bama Jama

Bama Jama

Sedan in the bushes is a '33 Reo.

17. lordairgtar

lordairgtar

A Milwaukee picture. The car is a Schloemer, first gas powered car made in Milwaukee
    [​IMG]

18. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Damn man, you guy's had balls the size of watermelons!! Not only did you have to contend with seriously dangerous terrain, an enemy that wants to kill you, working with the occasional guy that just didn't want to be there but a wild animal that See's you as, and also uses you as a food source?
    Wow man, serious respect!

I sat down and went through all of my Army photos, I regret not taking more on operations but they were seriously strict on troops taking happy snaps.
    I have thousands of others though, from recruit training to attending jet fighter crashes. Lot's of memories.

Just to get in on the M-2/GPMG M-60 argument (Hey, I'm nosy!) a .50 would have decimated that Tiger, I agree that it is more likely to be a 7.62mm.
    I can also say I have never seen a bungee mount M-2, the recoil from one of them would negate that! Only ever seen a pintle mount.
    We used the GPMG M-60 (Sadly now almost completely replaced) and the F-89 Minimi (5.56 M240 in the US). The M-60, nicknamed the 'Pig' was just that, a pig to operate and on sustained fire was almost enough to put you on your arse!
    These two were, both pintle and bungee mounted. The Minimi does not have that much of a kick but it also lacks in stopping power!
    Not that it matters I mean if you do it by the book you only fire in bursts:rolleyes:.
    Bungee mounting started as a way to get more versatility out of a door gun in supporting S.F. operations, a pintle drastically reduced arc's of fire when troops were on the ground. At least with the bungee it gave you much more freedom to choose your own firing position.

Well I better shut up, way too O/T:eek:.

Doc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.