Register now to get rid of these ads!

How big of a c notch do I need to lay running boards on a 54 chevy truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jschupp12, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Jschupp12

Jschupp12
    from Redding ca

[I'm getting ready to bag my 54 chevy truck and I'm wondering if anyone can tell me how much I need to notch my frame in the rear to be able to lay my running boards on the ground. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

2. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

cant tell ya off the top of my head but its pretty easy to work it out with a measuring tape and a square

3. its_a_nick

its_a_nick
    from Sweden

Measure the distance from the runningborads to the ground then take that minus the distance from the frame to the rear axel. You will need to have the tires you are going to run on.

4. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

traditional hotrods do not 'lay running boards'.

5. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

what do we "lay" then?

6. dontlifttoshift

dontlifttoshift

7. bam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Hot Rod Chris

Hot Rod Chris

9. hahah I knew that not traditional comment was coming.
    The your mom one was hilarious! BAM!

10. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

11. At least you didn't cop an attitude...

To figure it out, you'll need the tire diameter for the rear tires that will be on the finished project. That will give you the axle centerline height. This is a fixed dimension (1/2 tire height). Add 1 1/2" to that to get the height for the top of the rear axle housing. Normally, we would compare that height to the bottom of the frame, but you will need to know how much lower the running boards are than the frame. Let's say 2"...

So, if you are running a 28" tire, axle C/L height is 14" + 1 1/2" for the housing tube gives us 15 1/2" we have to clear. Add 1/2" "just in case", so 16" from the ground to get over the axle. Your ride height for the frame (or running boards in this case) is 0 :(. If the boards are 2" below the central frame, then you can subtract that from the notch, so from the bottom of the frame to the bottom of the step notch would be 14" (only using my numbers, measure it all).

12. AcadianKid

AcadianKid

You may already know this, and not mind.

But keep in mind that with the rocker draggin look comes consiquences. Like say your cruising and lose an air line, guess what. You no longer have those running boards... I used to like the look, and air ride, after actually having this occur in an O/T truck of mine, No More, no way. Scared my wife the kids and myself.... Not worth it... IMO.

But again its your truck and your build so do it how you want it....

13. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

and why does one do this, im an old guy and guess i dont remember that being done unless was in junk yard and had no wheels???

14. Rubber!

15. Jschupp12

Jschupp12
    from Redding ca

Thanks everyone for all the input I'll def keep it up a little now so that I don't tear the truck up if a line goes out. Have any of you bagged a 47-54 chevy truckwithout a c notch? If so how far off the ground is it in the rear?

16. orula

orula

Hi Jschupp, I do not know if it can be helpful to my thread, c-notch from page 3:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=568254&highlight=53+chevy+truck

If you have questions you can also send an email to: [email protected] . Happy to help you. Frank

17. Seems like a lot of trouble to go through to avoid fixing the e brake.

18. Heo2

Heo2

x,2

19. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

The too low comments are gettin old.
    I really dont get why people take it so personally. You dontlike it? just go to the next thread.
    Theres nothin wrong wanting to lay rockers, and i remember pictures from late 50s of cars so damn close to be laying rockers on static drops.
    Remember Watsons Grapevine?

W/out a notch, be it a simple C ora full on step, you wont be able to get anywhere close to the runnin boards, and even if you get to the point of the axle touchin the frame you will obviously hav no suspension travel.
    Bags/hydros/static, after a certain point it wont matter, you need a notch to have some travel on your suspension.

20. "C" notch???????????

I think it's time for this thread to go................. POOF!

21. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

seems like a lot of work to do so your car will look cool (?) parked.

22. Real traditinal custom guys drive 'em that way.

I probably would go through the trouble to C notch, the boards unbolt. Drive it to the show and while you are onloading the lawn chairs, cooler, and cry baby dolls unload the boards, lay them on the ground. Done deal.

23. RADustin

RADustin
    from Louisiana

hate away but my truck lays 'board, hard. I have 27" tall tires and it took a healthy notch to lay. I dont remember the size, but it looks to be around 10"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. I guess hate must have a definition other than what I remember.

I have pretty much read through the thread and other than truth based on historical fact I haven't seen anything that I would even remotely class as hate.

I could probably deal out a little hate for ya if you like.

25. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

I love this.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  26. RADustin

RADustin
    from Louisiana

also if you want to lay it out go for it. All the way. Don't worry about lines blowing or bags blowing. Regular maintence will keep you in the loop of your equipments health. Runs the air lines in a safe way, away from abrasion and heat, and make sure the bag bellows don't ever contact anything. Dont cheap out on inferior parts or installation and you'll be just fine.

pork, I put hate away because my truck isnt HAMB friendly...there's nothing traditional about it. I'm just trying to help out the OP. But maybe you felt you were hense the need to reply? Who knows, I care none. Again, hate away... or don't. peace.

27. Buzznut

Buzznut

Not necessarily. I have a '56 Chevy pickup and IMO stock height is too high for a hod rod. I flipped the rear axle and had to notch to do so. Granted, my notch is more functional (to get me suspension travel) than for looks, but it's still a notch. I also think that a notch is safer than driving axle to frame like they used to back when. I'm not into laying rockers, but I do like a lower meaner look and I like the stability it offers in handling...especially with anti-sway bars. To each his own, but I don't think this thread should be damned.

Now, start showing velvet roofs and naked dragon riding Barbarella murals under the hood and I'll be RIGHT there with the burning cross. There DEFINITELY is a line here...

28. ratrodder34

ratrodder34
    from Irvine,ky.

Friend of mines truck sitting only on an S-10 frame with lowering blocks in the back. You cant slide your foor under his running board and it rides great...

[​IMG]

29. cain

cain
    from riverside

heres my truck with a c- notch . not a step notch . Its low enough and i dont have to mess with bed..
    WWW.JIMENEZBROSCUSTOMS.COM

Attached Files:

30. cain

cain
    from riverside

Attached Files: