Register now to get rid of these ads!

1935 Ford wheels on a 1930 Ford?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by derb, Oct 15, 2011.

1. derb

derb

I thought 1935 Ford 16" spoke wheels would bolt onto a 1930 Model A pickup (mechanical brakes). It seemed like this was a very common swap/upgrade.
    The front wheels look like they will fit, the rear wheels look like a problem!
    The center of the wheel is smaller than the register on the hub.
    How are guys doing this?
    Please share your knowledge and experience.

Thanks, derb

2. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I have never done this swap before, but going to '35 style wires on later hydraulic brakes requires a thin metal adaptor. I'm wondering if this swap would require a similar tact. M/T car products is the company that makes the adaptors for the other conversion, bet they could answer your question.

3. Watching this as I just pondered this question with someone earlier this evening.

4. Something else is wrong. it should work without any spacers or adapters. Can you post some pictures (wheels, drums)?

Charlie Stephens

5. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Everyone I've ever known, including me, who wanted to put later V8 wires on Model As did so without modification at all.

6. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

put mine straight on..............No issues at all

7. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

People have been doing this ever since 1935 with no problem

Attached Files:

• jo.jpg
      jo.jpg
      File size:
      552.1 KB
      Views:
  8. Rem

Rem

Maybe the "register" is the raised ring that supports the wheel centre? Should be the same as on the front brakes?

9. Rem

Rem

To clarify, the wheels aren't hub-centric, with just the lug nuts locating the wheels (I think this applies to all early Fords, i.e. with banjo rears?).

This is a Model A rear drum, and the ring supports the centre of early Ford wire wheels:

Attached Files:

10. therein1951

therein1951
    from onsted mi.

They used to sell (1950's) an aluminum ring. about 3/4 in wide that went around the outside of the studs It was about 3/16 thick. I think we used them to put 40's wheels on a 33 ford might work for what you need.

11. derb

derb

Thanks to all that commented!
    I went out this morning, LOOKED CAREFULLY at the wheels and saw that the raised sections next to the lug holes contact the hub. The large OD "register" doesnt touch the center.
    No more "over thinking it" for me (or marathon thrash sessions that dull your senses).
    Thanks again for the boost, derb

12. The 1928-1935 hubs and drums had a raised area towards the center (sometimes a ring and sometimes cast raised projections) that supported the wire wheel. All wire wheels will interchange on these drums and hubs. The 1940-48 hubs and drums were flat (no raised area) and required a ring to support the 1928-35 wire wheel towards the center (common when you converted to hydraulic brakes using 1940-48 hubs and drums). When you used the 1940-48 solid wheels on the 1928-35 hubs/drums you needed a different ring to support the solid rims since the 1940-48 rims were designed to be used on a flat drum.

Charlie Stephens