Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sun Visors, Love 'em or Hate 'em?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kenny P, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Anderson

Anderson

hate em with a passion. They completely fuck up the lines of any car they are put on, especially customs.

2. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Oh boy, yer gonna hate my 54 Chevy now, pictures to come.

3. sport fury

sport fury

if you really want to see a sunviser that people will surely hate then put a model A sunviser on a 32 ford. i have never seen this done but i would like to see the reaction from it. anybody have have photos of of this?

4. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

They were a factory option on 52-56 Fords ,if you lived here in Phoenix with 358 days of glaring sun they are a godsend :D Here is a '52 and a '54.I don't have a picture of it but the one on a '54 Victoria has side brackets that make it look moulded in to the roofline.

Attached Files:

5. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

The right Visor, on the right car, done nicely with an awsome stance, can look killer..JMO

its all about execution

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  6. cederholm

cederholm

I would love to put an OEM curved one on my '53 Chev. ...pm me if anyone want to sell theirs. :D

7. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Says who?

8. I don't build customs as a rule so take what I say with a grain of salt.

I probably would not put one on my car. But I have seen some cars that they just make the car. I think on a '53/54 Chebby that it takes a pretty extreme custom to make it not look like an old man car. I did see one that had a major gansta car look going on and the visor looked good on it.

9. big tap

big tap

well i love the i think i makes your ride stand out im trying to buy one myself but they cost a pretty penny i think your ride would look bad ass with it just my opinion.

10. GREASER815

GREASER815

Ihave a nice on off of a 53 car if you decide you want one. I think some cars look good and others don't. Depends what else is all done to it.

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

On something like Fynbrian48's wagon or another car that has ALL the chrome and stainless trim still on it Along with wide whites and hubcaps and maybe a bit extra they pass ok but to me they look like a big zit sticking out on cars or trucks that have been dechromed and are really out of place on an otherwise smooth car or truck.
    If you have to have one do yourself a favor and buy a factory made one as I have never seen a homemade one that looked presentable.

12. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

our car isnt complete without the visor. it really depends on the car. we love the fulton on our plym. car looks stupid without it

13. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

Love em! Will eventually make one for my 60 Galaxie and everyone that doesn't like it can bite my @$$

14. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

see my profile for pictures of our car with it on

15. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I used to hate them. They were the squarest thing you could put on a car, all the old farmers had them.

Then last week I bought a 49 Chrysler sedan parts car for my 51 DeSoto coupe. It came with a sun visor and on that car it looks good.

Partly because the 49 Chrysler is the ugliest car Detroit ever made. But the sun visor suits it. It's the kind of car that looks like it would drink rye highballs and vote for Eisenhower. It should be wearing a blue serge double breasted suit and a fedora or, dark blue paint and a sun visor.

Now I am thinking of fixing it up. God help me I've fixed up worse.

16. rustythumb

rustythumb

back in the 50's & 60's in my area of so.cal. [l.a. & o.c.] they were only on old fogey's 4-door sedans- NOT on custom cars! now that i'm an old fogey- i STILL hate 'em!

17. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I hated them in the '50s. I hated them in the '60s. I hated them in the '70s. Hated them in the '80s. And again in the '90s. Still hated them at the begining of this century. Hate them today. Expect to hate them for as long as possable.

18. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Hard to hate this one isn't it?

Attached Files:

19. If you are going kind of an old school lowrider style with wire wheels then they are a must. If you are going for more of a Kustom look then smooth and clean is the way to go. I think there is a time and a place for them, but also a time and a place to not use them.

20. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I never really liked them, myself, but that's just me.

21. rusty76

rusty76
    from Midway NC

Not sure what I don't like more on this one. The graphics on the side or the wheels. Or maybe it's the stance. The visor I like though.

22. ferrets bueller

ferrets bueller
    from NW Indiana

23. speedfreek155

speedfreek155

24. I had one on my 53 sedan and there is one on my 48 suburban. Round cars and trucks seem to look better with them. My 29 pontiac had one from thefactory so I guess I am a fan of them. It's your car but if it were mine it would definately have one!

25. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

I hope your kidding, that's not graphics, it's the reflection in a perfectly executed black paint job...............
    That panel would look great in any wheel he picked except maybe wood spokes!

26. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Here ya go

Attached Files:

27. I think it needs to be integrated into the car instead of being added onto the car. This one was done well with the chrome trim appearing as one continuous piece around the window.
    [​IMG]

Also the rest of the car follows the theme. There should be a written rule for '50s cars: No wide whites, no visor.

Another angle:
    [​IMG]

28. 56 Frame Dragger

56 Frame Dragger

I like the look of a visor on a car. As long as it's the right visor for your car not a after market or let me try and make it fit

Attached Files:

29. slammed

slammed

Depends on the application really. Restos. La Bamba's, ect. But those 17" and up mag's on old cars are pure trendie (streetrod). They belong on muscle cars, 'cause they blow any who-

30. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Not particularly.
    Paul