Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Old DETROIT AUTORAMA picture thread, what do you have ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Harms Way, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Harms Way

Harms Way

Just got this one, Bob Tamplin's 392 Hemi powered "A" Roadster in the 1968 Detroit Autorama,... Bob also owned and built the 27 T Roadster, later owned by Angelo From Gratiot Auto Supply and renamed "Lil' Billy".
    [​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. Harms Way

Harms Way

Come on guys,... dig out those old Detroit Autorama pictures !!!!!!! :D

3. S.F.

S.F.

Ok...you asked for it. These are never before seen pictures of the 1960 Detroit autorama. These pictures belong to Stephen Warling ( he gave me permission to post them), he gave me them to put on a digital file...These have been in storage for 50years....no one has seen them before......

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
    Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  4. S.F.

S.F.

several cars here are of note......the silver saphire

Attached Files:

5. S.F.

S.F.

This set, the first one shows a white version (NEVER BEFORE SEEN) of the kookie car....then there is ohio george's malco gasser when Stephen was at the detroit drags....I have a few shots of the drag strip as well.

Attached Files:

6. Harms Way

Harms Way

Those are awesome Stephen,... thanks for posting them,.... Lets see if we can keep this ball rolling.

7. S.F.

S.F.

Lets see if we can ID some of those cars too...I know I saw that red and white diamond tuck,n rolled roadster in Mad Fabricaters

8. Harms Way

Harms Way

This is a pretty rare picture of the Norm Grabowski Kookie car,.. after it was sold.

[​IMG]

9. Harms Way

Harms Way

And here is Clarence "Chili" Catallo’s "Silver Sapphire",... AKA Lil' Deuce Coupe.

[​IMG]

10. S.F.

S.F.

It is a very rare picture...its the only one that hasnt surfaced in the last 50 years

11. Harms Way

Harms Way

That also looks like "Ohio Georges" 33 Willis

12. S.F.

S.F.

yep, its the malco gasser before it was lettered, and right after it was raised up to its "gasser" stance....in 59 it was slammed

13. Dennis; here is my attempt to keep this neat thread going. I wish the picture of my roadster had been taken in Detroit in 1953 but alas, it wasn't. I built the roadster as a tribute to all of the roadster builders of the past that showed us the way. Dave Mckee was kind enough to take the picture this year at "The Show"and I tried to age it so that it would fit in with what you set out to do with this thread. I would like to thank all of the workers that make this show the success that it is. My son Myles and I had a fantastic time and we will never forget our Detroit Autorama experience :).

Attached Files:

14. 60th Anniversery this year. If you need motivation to get something done showing it in Detroit should do it. Great Pics

15. dmikulec

dmikulec

Quick! Who do I send the money to?!? :D

[​IMG]

Great thread! :cool:

16. 31Apickup

31Apickup

The Model A tudaor Phaeton was from Ohio, I seen it about 30 years ago in the same condition , I believed the same guy still owned it. It's also in the Model A handbook published by the Editors of Hot Rod Magazine in the early 60's. It states it is owned by Charles Mayenschein, it is widened as it uses 56 Packard torsion bars and load leveling suspension, has an 56 Olds engine 53 Caddy steering wheel, 55 T-bird speedo & Olds instruments.It is painted 57 Ford Starmist Blue lacquer and has Packard wire wheels.

17. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

There has got to be more pictures out there. Don't let this one die.

Frank

18. The pictures of the Silver Sapphire had to be just before "Chili" Catallo went to California. Actually this is the version that I remember and love the best.
    The Kookie car was the version that Jim Street toured with the Golden Sahara. I saw the car in Clearwater , FL the same year as this picture from the Autorama. The two cars were at the local Ford dealer. I had moved from Detroit to Florida the year before.

19. S.F.

S.F.

Yes, it is still around. I saw it at the Gathering of the geazers at kil kare drags in 09. It had some funky wheels on it but everything else is the same.

20. butch27

butch27

Charles' son still owns the car. I was a kid hanging in garage a few times when Charles was building it. One great builder.

21. Hope to get some more photos, so back to the top.

22. Harms Way

Harms Way

Lets bring er' back to the top,.... Any of you Michigan guys,... don't be shy asking people you know if they have some pictures you can scan, and post !:D

[​IMG]

Stogy likes this.
  23. I just bet the beautiful '32 Tudor was black. Perfect!!!!
    Ron

24. Martino

Martino

Here Some pics of my dads custom, The "Valletta" at Detroit Autorama in 1961. I had it there last year in the basement with The Single Finger Speed Shop guys.
    Was even awarded the Chuck Miller Award.

Attached Files:

25. Harms Way,
    I passed a link to these photos of the Vivian car to one of his sons. I knew his dad as being into muscle cars in the 60's but not as a traditional hot rodder.

26. Not to change the subject, but South Lyon was always a hot spot for fast cars, at least going back to my teen years. In 1968 and 1969 the South Lyon P.D. had at least one Road Runner as a marked patrol car.

That also was when Brown's was a A&W, the South Lyon Hotel was a flop house and Jimmy's Restaurant was on Pontiac Trail south of Ten Mile......the good old days.

27. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

another great thread!!

28. Mike Moreau

Mike Moreau

No pictures, but I remember a Vivian running a silver/gray Buick powered T roadster with a 6X2 at Motorcity Dragway in New Balitimore in 56/57. Fishtailed all the way. Second fastest car @ Motorcity at that time was Connie Coletta's Chevy powered car. Can't remember what it was, but it was off-beat. Henry J, AMC or something non Ford or Chev.

29. Keep hoping more pictures will show up on this thread. Looking forward to this year.

30. Harms Way

Harms Way

Keeping it alive,....

Attached Files: