Register now to get rid of these ads!

Just experianced THAT guy... You know The one that knows everyone... opinions please.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J.Barrett, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Yeah money is money, but if you put your heart and soul into something it's ok if you don't want some douchebag ruining it and telling everyone he built it. If you're not hurting for money and care about the car then sell it to someone who you know will appreciate it... There's nothing wrong with that.

2. dodored

dodored
    from Concord NC

Having experienced the same, please remember that ignorance is curable, but stupidity is forever. Even God struggle with the stupid. As much as I would like everyone in the world to live on milk and honey, there are just not enough to give to everyone, especially those that refuse to even bend over and pick it up.

3. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

My Dad sold a car to a guy years ago. It was the guys 1st rod and he took a second mortgage out on his house to buy it. He wanted to test drive it here in Minnesota when the roads were still salty. These things made my Dad was kind of afraid of what the sale was going to lead too. In the end, the guy turned out to be great guy, and has bought other cars, and done a GREAT job personalizing them to make them his. I think he has even built a few of his own.
    Just goes to show, just because a guy maybe a newbee, doesn't mean he'll end up being like one forever!
    Maybe your buyer is just trying too hard to fit in with a more experienced group, and should just sit back and learn!

4. robertsregal

robertsregal

I can understand your thought but money is money and some times you just have to put up with stupid to get it!!

5. We really don't "own" anything but are merely temporary custodians as we pass through life. Take the a$$hat money and move on to the next.

6. fifTsix

fifTsix
    from TEXAS

Thanks for that Captain Obvious :rolleyes:

I agree with ^^^

7. dirtbag63

dirtbag63

The truck wouldn't run cause it knew what was in it's future with this guy! Yea I understand once its sold it's no longer your problem but you just don't take a truck this cool and original and sell it to some one that really has no clue. Isn't that breaking some kind of moral car guy code!? It's getting harder to find cars/trucks this nice any more.:eek:

8. Gates

Gates

I just went through the same thing, except now the guy is actually trying to take me to court.Sold this a guy a blown camaro , fresh motor , fresh everything. sold it for 50 cents on the dollar for what i had into it, new paint, all pro touring suspension etc....Even put in the ad the car was as-is , its a muscle car so turning wrenches is all part of the ownership, guy was supposed to pick the car up in person with cash but decided to have it shipped 5 hours away....The gets the car home and calls me everyday asking this and that which at first i was ok with, but then every day, couple times a day driving me nuts.. Decides he needs to strip the car pulls the rear end apart and calls me and says the rear brake pads don't look brand new, their not worn but don't look new..Says the axles were strange brand and not moser brand like the add stated, ok my bad, guys pulls the engine apart says the crank is Lunati and not scat like the add says, again i apologise i have built many cars this year and had a couple things not right in the add, but they were just as good if not better....... Well a month and half go by the calls me and says his uncle is a lawyer and he needs his money back..... I ask him what he did to the car and if a qualified technician worked on or did he? he says his friend helped him and he knows his stuff etc.. I proceed to ask the guy if everything i sent was still there, extra suspension etc i had in the back of the car, aprox $3000 worth of goodies , he tells me the stuff never came with the car, i tell him bs i loaded that car on the shippers trailer and took pics of everything inside and the car on the trailer itself, have complete pics of build from day one with a book full of receipts ..Said car was stuck in new jersey for over a week before he got it from the shippers ( his shippers ) and don't know where the stuff is but wants his money back.......I tell the guy get all my stuff back or reimburse me and ill bu the car back because i loved the car anyway, says he cant and his uncle will be touch because i sold the car as false advertised which is fraud or something..So at this point i am expecting to go to court over a super nice car i gave the guy a great deal on and i even told him to come see it in person because there was no warranty............It just goes to show there are some real jerk offs out there and a simple deal can turn into a headache real easy, pint is some people are just not car people and want to be able to turn key and drive like a honda, look cool but never have to work on the car, or even know what they are getting into...Some people should be avoided for sure.. Sorry for the hi jack but this just happened and this situation reminded me of that...

9. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

i think the best advice ive seen is that if you end up selling it to 'that guy' make sure you sell it for enough cash that it doesnt bother you when you see it all ratted out in a couple months.

10. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

11. Country Gent

Country Gent
    BANNED

J. Barret. Been there, done that. After dealing with all these ass holes on items other then vehicles on Craigslist, sometimes you have to reject the sale and say "F--k you ass hole" and hope to sell it to a nice guy. In your case, TAKE HIS MONEY ON RUN!!!

12. I had sold an OT Impala years ago to some guy who was a notorious boozer, he had just cracked up another Impala days before.

Within 3 days of buying my car, he totals it out drunk and winds up as a parapalegic for life. So, once the car leaves your hands, anything can happen to it. I had reservations about selling it to this guy, he had a bad karma about him.

My advice, take the $$ and run, try to distance yourself from him after that.

Bob

13. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

amen!

14. RichtersRodz

RichtersRodz

I've done this before, twice.. Sold two trucks that I loved, each one of them. After the
    new owners had them awhile, I saw the trucks, and they didn't look near as cool as when I
    had owned them. Both of them tore them up slightly (in my opinion) and if they offered
    to sell them back to me, I would have said no..

Take the money and press on...

15. I still have some regrets to the cars Ive sold,people talk too much about what their plans are for the car but with some cars when youre done... youre done .IMO sell it and fund that next one.Good luck

16. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Cash in hand.
    Vehicle out of the driveway.
    Relationship ends.
    I have sold vehicles to people who planned on going a totally different design than I had planned.
    Never bothered me.Once it's up for sale what I wanted to do didnt matter.

17. Yeah man, sounds like you're a bit of a softy!!! haha. Don't take it the wrong way...it's kind of a good thing. I'm like that too.

You know what's gonna happen...you're gonna sell this guy the rig....he's gonna drive you nuckin futs for the rest of your life!!! :)

If you can call this guy an ass plug...DIRECTLY TO HIS FACE...if he gets on your nerves in the future, then you're golden. haha.

If you're too nice to put the run on him, then don't encourage him.

I got a buddy who's completely ruthless with lookie lookie types. He just says it like this..."listen man, the cars for sale, there it is...ask your questions now because once you buy it, IT'S YOURS!" I've heard him tell guys..."I'm not looking for a friend, I'm just selling my car....don't waste my time if you're not gonna buy it" ....lol

I'm learning alot from him!

18. ps. if he's got an ounce of potential, you should learn him right good.... But if he's a total power-wang, don't bother, just take his money and slam the door in his face! haha.

19. The37Kid

The37Kid

You desided to sell the vehicle, he has CASH and wants it, were is the problem?

20. 214Gearjammer

214Gearjammer
    from Dallas, TX

Very interesting thread!
    I must say I am shocked at the replies....I thought there was a lot more people like me out there.
    You stated you did NOT need the money and for that reason I would have sent this yahoo down the road.
    .....but that is coming from a guy who can never part with any car or part. I get sentimental about all of it. I watch myself closely when I buy cause I know I probably won't find a "good enough home" for it. It will be left for my next of kin to deal with! I am obviously in the minority here but I guess I am running more of a museum than a parts store/car lot! Ha!

....and I may be totally ignorant on this but I thought the reason people shied away from cowl tanks was that they would tend to leak eventually.
    I can see that possibly leading to fire but I thought it was more of an inconvenience than a danger like your "expert" said.

Oh well, that is why there is chocolate and vanilla--we need choices!

21. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

TAKE his MONEY ... :)

As long as you represented the Model A truthfully ...
    Walk away with the money and clear conscious.

I sold a guy a Model A chassis ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He had great plans. He was going to build himself a HOT ROD. He is retired ( 65+ ) and has NEVER built a car ... or done any real mechanic work.

I took the $$$ ... and smiled all the way to the bank.

His lack of knowledge, lack of tools and lack of a place to work was not my problem. He kept it a short while and then sold it for a loss. :)

Education costs MONEY ...

22. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I'll bet you $10 to a used lug nut you never see the money.

23. iammarvin

iammarvin
    BANNED
    from Tulare, Ca

Hey buddy! Remember that A you just sold me????? Kinda slow on the freeway...Hey! New bff! Let's hang! We're so cooooool together(;)) OMG a double smile!! Dude can I hang out at your place??? U R SO COOL! Hey, call me.....

Yeah. Have fun.

24. haha...as soon as I saw the $10 to a ..... i knew you were a canuck without looking at your profile.

Down here we say $10 to a donut...

You're probably right about the money thing too. He's probably one of those "advanced" tire kickers...not just some run of the mill time waster.;)

25. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

It used to be a dollar to a donut but that was when donuts cost 5 cents.

Sometimes it is fun to change around old sayings. I thought it was funny.

26. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Holy fuck....really?