Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs My Ford 51 Top Chop From Argentina

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Path Thirteen, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Thank you Steffan !!

2. Pete

Pete

Thats some crazy shit right there boys! I give you fellas some serious props!

Pete-

3. oldman2

oldman2

Looking good.

4. I'm just finishing the inner/outer rockers and quarter panel replacement, then I'm getting the body off the frame to do the floors. I've got a nice frame, sandblasted and painted, leaning against the wall. Can't wait to swap it. I'll be putting up a build thread some day.

Keep up the good work, and keep posting updates. Good to see other guys crazy enough to do this stuff.

5. Thanks man!

hahaha as i allways says, this is the only way to do it here in Argentina... you MUST put a build thread, i want to see that build, Thanks for your comment !! keep tuned !

6. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

Pues, ahora tengo que terminar los poyectos que todavilla tengo en acción.
    Pero, cuando regresarme de Argentina, Brasíl, y otros lugares en el mundo, voy a empezar en nuevo, un poyecto kustom. ¿Pues, ojala que sí? Si tendre suficiente dinero.:eek:
    Ahorita, estoy planiando de viajar cerca del mundo.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  7. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Pretty impressive stuff w/ the box and water hose trick.
    So, i understnd you know the roof has a problem, but are you sure it aint the rear window that is too short? im not sure my self, but i think that if you re-work the roof followin the rear side window you might end up w/ a stepped "rat style" chop..just something to think about, im sure you'll sort it.
    I'd love to have an hammer weldin uncle, my uncle i bareley know, and what i know about aint pretty!

8. michaelthe9

michaelthe9

Path,
    You two are mastering this car like pros! I read the whole thread. I have been waiting to add my $0.02 on the roof. I am planning my chop on my '51 Victoria. It will be a long row to hoe but flow is everything in a chop like this. I think the rake on the roof matches the length of the car well. But the contour/profile needs a bunch of adjustment...I think that rather than lowering the rear window to match the existing flat section of the roof, you need to raise the center peice that you and your uncle put in and make it match the rear window angle. At some view angles looking over the middle of your rear side window you can really see how narrow and flat the sheet metal in the roof profile is. I don't know exactly how to approach it but you can see from the splice piece over the windshield that your uncle welded in there is a beginning of a natural curve. Then the roof flattens out until it meets the top of the rear window. The peak in the front of the roof could be used as a guide with a long, narrow piece of sheet metal to guide you into a beautiful contour. My suggestion is to lay a piece of thick gauge sheet metal that is about 25.4mm wide at the base of the rear window. Let it touch the bottom and top of the rear window opening. Tack weld it at the base of the rear window. Take the other end of this strip and lay it across the top of the front window at the crown of the part your uncle welded in. Let it naturally bend and it might show you how the roof should be raised and/or the rear window lowered a little bit too. Make sense? I have never done this but it is what I intend to do for help on the profile of my chopped roof when the time comes.
    Keep it up pal. You guys are amazing.
    Michael

9. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

^^^ yeah, but im sure the side windows need re-workin too, they have too much of a rake towards the back and the rear one is too short.
    Not tryin to bash your work!

10. Yeah i know theres a problem with the roof, i know and i can see that we made a "downhill" chop, and the whole problem there i think is that the roof dont follor the line of the side windows, plus the rear glass is to "up" and is high almost like the windshield and there is no space to make it flow, We have to Redo the roof and im thinking about remove another 1 o 2 inches of the front, but maybe working following the side windows with the roof can make it look right, plus when we removed the driprails it started to make it more obviously, but well, theres something more to fix in the shitbox, that dont let me sleep... but i think we have gonna to build a english wheel becouse there are some compose curves on the roof i have to re do. but well... hope this turns out right, if there is someone that can give me a hand by making a photoshop it whould be nice to see your opinions.

Hey bones i know your not trying to bash our work, i know you are helping and telling me that theres a problem and trying to get it the best way, i prefer that instead of the people that dont say a word and whet you get it painted they tell you "hey... mmmm i think your roof have a problem! by the way... what do you call a rat style roof ??

if someone can help me doing a photoshop and ideas, it whould be nice !

THanks to all !!

11. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Here you go Path. I dropped the front of the roof a couple inches, angled the rear window forward a little more, added about an inch to the crown and softened the front corner of the door at the A pillar... and cleaned your garage. Hope it helps. Eli

[​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  12. Thanks!! that photoshop makes the car looks totally different, I like it a lot, you grab a hard picture to work and you cleaned all the place haha thats crazy.
    I think thats one of the ways we must go with the roof, can you make it with a more "fast back" style ? if you have time.

Thank you !!

13. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Here you go. Shortened the trunk lid and leaned up a bit, moved the rear window to match. Kinda reminds me of a Hudson Terraplane.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  14. Thanks !! I like more the firts one you did... well, i have to figure it out what to do with the roof, i was thinking in removing 2 inches of the front and then rework the roof, plus my door are 4 inches longer than the stock coupe... we will see, if cant fix this at least im gonna have the mus ugly shoebox in south america haha

15. RodStRace

RodStRace

Amazing work! Just read through the whole build and you and your uncle are doing something fabulous!
    After all the other work, I'm sure the two of you will get that roof floooowing!

16. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I think you have the right idea on taking a couple of inches out of the front of the roof. It may solve the issue with the overall flow, and if you angle the rear window forward that will help too. Any advice from someone reading this thread?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  17. koolkemp

koolkemp

Wow what a difference the photoshop makes! I agree also that 2 inches out of the A pillar will really balance it out...I love the dedication you have and have been following the build since the first post,keep up the good work!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  18. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

There you go Path. Koolkemp is pretty knowledgeable, just check out his '47 Ford Resurrection thread. He knows what he's talking about and I do believe the man can weld fire to water. :D

19. koolkemp

koolkemp

Stop it you will make me blush :eek:

20. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

21. peeduh

peeduh
    from atx

22. hope you get that roof fixed. like you said the rear window is to much like a windshield and the roof looks flat right about the rear window, also those side windows are to short,i agree with you wanting to take a bit more out of the front, it needs it

23. KRIKOR

KRIKOR

Brother so well conceived project I congratulate you, I'm taking some data from your photos to start the same job in a couple of cars a chevy ford coupe 52 and 47, I'm from Venezuela greetings.

Hermano que proyecto tan bien concebido te felicito,estoy tomando algunos datos de tus fotos para empezar el mismo trabajo en un par de carros un chevy 52 y un ford coupe 47,soy de venezuela saludos.

24. Willy Charger

Willy Charger
    from argentina

Aaaaaajajjajajaajaaa.... muy buena respuesta, bien a lo gaucho!!

25. Capochi

Capochi

Pavada de laburo te estas mandando! no me convence mucho la linea del techo..., pero igualmente Felicitaciones!

Saludos

26. Gracias Capochi! A mi tampoco, Vamos a trabajar en eso, por ahora hace mucho tiempo que no hacemos nada con el auto, otros proyectos, asi que cuando empieze de nuevo vamos a trabajar en eso, por ahora vamos a terminar de armar los pisos y partes estructurales

27. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

So hows the project coming along?

28. Well, theres not too much progess, its in the same shape as the last construction pictures, the shop is full of cars and work, plus i moved to a nicer apartment, bigger. Did the moving with the falcon removing the back seat haha, took a week to move al the shit i have, And then the bigger stuff with my uncle f100... so i had to do a lot of work, painting both apartments, and set in order the new apartment. But well. Its time to get back to work (and theres a LOT in this rustbucket) im anxious to start again and someday somehow, drive that shit !!

29. retroclassix

retroclassix

any progress? I have been following your build and im keen to see some updates.

30. THE CHIEF

THE CHIEF
    from MIAMI

che adonde en B.A esta tu shop? voy a ir a visitar a mi familia en un par de meses