Register now to get rid of these ads!

Drag cars in the street!! PHOTO Thread!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by earon1964, Sep 23, 2011.

1. earon1964

earon1964

Post up pictures of Race cars on the street!!!

2. earon1964

earon1964

[​IMG]

Chi-Town Hustler

3. chromedRAT

chromedRAT

Man, there was a heck of a post a few years ago about that exhibition where the car got stupid and folks got hurt. That being said, Chi-Town Hustler looks GOOD right there...

4. earon1964

earon1964

5. Looks like Pat Minic is doing a burnout on a sidewalk in grant park, down town Chicago. So much for drag cars on the street.:rolleyes:

6. earon1964

earon1964

7. earon1964

earon1964

8. earon1964

earon1964

Motion M/P drag car road test
    getting air in the street in front of the shop[​IMG]

9. earon1964

earon1964

10. electromet

electromet
    from Tucson, AZ

According to another Board that I belong to, the city of Duluth, MN, closed streets downtown a couple weeks ago to provide a 1/8 mile track for drag racers. Now that's forward thinking government!

Mike

11. squirrel

squirrel

They've been doing 1/16 mile drags in Kingman AZ on the main street thru town for several years.

12. squirrel

squirrel

My friend took this picture a week and a half ago, the nova driving down the road in front of us ran 7.17 at 203 two days before. Even though it's kind of off topic, if that's not badass, I don't know what is.

Attached Files:

13. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

Great Thread! Keep the pictures and staories coming.

14. earon1964

earon1964

15. electromet

electromet
    from Tucson, AZ

^^^^^^^ That takes some balls and more than a little bit of liability insurance!!

16. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

From the days when balls were huge and liability insurance was unheard of.

17. biscaynes

biscaynes

more???......

18. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

That guy drove the nova to NHRA national event, Raced the car in comp I believe, drove it back and forth to the motel every day, made a few rounds and when done drove it back home something......Rich

19. Deuces

Deuces

Hahahaha.... I love it! :D

20. kayjohn

kayjohn

Those OLD pics of drag cars on the street are cool accept the gold Cobra....stagged!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!look at the slicks.LOL But are totally different from what we do at the "Kingman Street Drags" and unlike some other events in the past few years that have had some very bad things happen. I have to admit I to have done some of those things. burnouts in parking lots, burnouts in front of crouds of people at car shows and launching side by side with other dragsters in parades. thankfully nothing went wrong.

The "Route 66 Wings and Wheels with permission from the city of Kingman and support from the Police Dept, Fire Dept, Sheriff dept. and many businnesses hold an actual drag race right in the middle of down town Kingman on Beale Street.We even have grudge races between our Sheriff, Police Cheif and Mayor....How cool is that?. This is specially cool for me because I was born and raised here, read and have heard storys of the drags held out on old Highway 68 in the 70s, street raced out on Rt 66 past the Air Port in the 80s,invited the first two dragsters to the Kingman Air and Auto show in the early 90s and helped it grow to over 200 cars doing exibition runs by it's 13th year and have supported and participated in 6 of the 7 events held by Route 66 Wings and Wheels.
    Nowhere else in the world can one say they can drag down main street in front of their old High School,throw the laundry out as they pass by the shop they work at, turn left on to their sreet they live on and then use their house for their pits.AND IT'S ALL LEGAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! For 3 days that is.lol

As for the liability........... Every efort is made to reduce it as much as possable. K-Rail the full length of the track and shut down area., plenty of shut down room plus a trap at the end, Fire and Medical on duty during opperation, use of NHRA guidlines for tech, drivers, crew and pit areas and on and on. The insurance cost to cover the event this year was a staggering $15,000.00!

Starting 4 days before the event. the grand stands start rolling in, the stage and VIP tent go up, the truck loads of K-rail are unloaded and set in place, people fence, vendors, light stands,sound system, street baracades and a real timing system with tree. ready to use by Fri. after noon to Sun. at 5 Pm. Come Tues. night all that's left is a well seasoned piece of asfalt, some good memories and many tired vounteers.

If you missed this one I'm sorry to say you will probably never again get to experiance such a historic event. It was anounced Sun. that that it would be the last event held at that location. Athough Kingman is a gearhead town there are those who live here that are not. we must show respect for all. 2009 was the bigest with close to 300 racers and thousands of spectators.That's a of people and equipment to cram into a 5 block square area. This year was down conciderably due to our economy but still impossed alot of stress on the local naborhood, the city publicworks, specators and racers. Now that's not saying Route 66 Wings and Wheels are done............ NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!They are still working on geting their own sand box to play in.

PICTURES??????????????????????? YES I'll be posting them. got to trans. them to photobucket.

And check out youtube. kingman street drags

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  21. Deuces

Deuces

Screw photobucket!!
    Why not use the manage attachment file on here to post those pictures???

22. How about a quick street car at the drags? The link below is of Reece Fish and his 56 chev with twin turbo 538. At a recent meeting on street tyres he drove to the track and ran 7.9 @ 166mph! Best time on a properly prepped track is 7.70 @ 178mph

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Rzv9Nbk4d8

23. 2002p51

2002p51

From "Nitro Night" at the Escondido cruise back in 2005.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

???? What gold Cobra?

25. kayjohn

kayjohn

LOL. It was posted right before my post. It looked like a small block AC. there was a foot of air under the front tires,no wrinkle in the slicks and the driver was siting relaxed. too funny.

26. kyhotrod

kyhotrod
    from Kentucky

I agree. I ain't going to photobucket.

27. Diana The Doc

Diana The Doc
    from New York

Many moons ago, there was a gas station located on Rt. 18 in East Brunswick, NJ, about 10 miles north of Englishtown (you know, home of Old Bridge Township Raceway Park). I believe the Grant Stoms "Rampage" Top Fuel dragster was kept there (it looked much like the digger in the above photo), it's said that the guys from the gas station fired up the fueler in the middle of the night, and took it for a short drive on Rt. 18... Such a torrid tale of forbidden fueler romance, I'd say... I hope it's a true story, I don't know why, but I do hope it's true...

my daily drag blog...
    http://www.dragracingunderground.com/~dragrac/index.php?option=com_myblog&Itemid=27

28. marks73turbota

marks73turbota

I moved to Glendale AZ (Phoenix) in 2008. My son took me to the street drags that year. It was great. Had a great time, watched some fun runs, walked all over down town and looked at the show cars lined up along the store fronts. VERY impressed. Vowed to get my car down there to run at least once after I get it on the road. Mark L