Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Undergoing body reassignment surgery

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Squablow, Jul 15, 2011.

1. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

You need to build one custom version with the fins,side trim, lowered, etc. And another one with the mags, blackwalls etc. setup like Norm Thacher's Dodge Bonneville car.

2. Squablow

Squablow

I was thinking the Ford lights were going to be the thing, but now seeing it in photoshop, I really like those Dodge tail lights. I'm thinking those are going to be the winner.

As for you guys who really wanted to see this done as a factory style sleeper, go bring me another 4 door and some donor doors and jambs, and I'll knock you out another post car, would take me about a week. It's real simple to do if you want to try it yourself.

I liked the mostly stock look too, but it's not what I'm after, I want a custom. I'll save the 2 door Newport side trim for anyone who's really serious about building one.

3. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I like the Dodge lights better myself. Have you thought about chopping the top? Maybe I can whip up a chopped hardtop.

4. The lower fins look great. I wasn't feeling good about the Fairlane trim, but not bad! I personally like the Ford taillights and spears better than the Dodge lites. I think a chop could really make it look great, and lessen anyone's thinking that it should be a gasser or factory sleeper! A chop would make it a clear custom, but once it is lowered a bit, that will transform the look a lot.

5. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Just for the hell of it here's a chopped hardtop version with the wheels you mentioned earlier. Lowered it in the back a little more too. Kinda has a sleeper hint to it I think. A cross ram Max Wedge would be perfect for this.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  6. Dodge lights are perfect to me, they keep with that factory prototype look. The Ford lights don't look bad but they look like they're added on slightly under scale size.

That round Dodge add-on light I suggested might work sideways with the chrome wrapped around the fin, or with a bubble added on as in the Ford light picture, too.

7. Squablow

Squablow

I really like the roofline as-is, and since it's going to be a custom, the dog dish wheels are out. I'll be saving those wheels for my '60 Plymouth which is also a 2 door post and is all black, that car can have the super stock/sleeper look, this Chrysler is going custom.

I am totally in love with the pic with the stock roof, the '61 Dodge tail lights and the fins and Fairlane trim, that one is perfect, that's 100% the look I'm going for. I think it's going to turn out great.

OahuEli, you've done so much already, I hate to keep asking, but do you want to try the dog dish cap'd wheels on this car, maybe with some redline tires? Could clean up the paint job a bit too, maybe give it a nose down rake. I'll do it if it looks good, then I'll have one mostly stock, sleeper style 2 door post car and one all customized. And both of them were originally 4 doors.

[​IMG]

Can use this pic instead if the angle helps, not sure if it would though.

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

No problem though it may be a couple of days. I gotta do some serious wrenching on my '51 F1 this weekend to get it drivable by Sunday night. I like both your ideas though and will rustle something up. By the way, what kind of hub caps do you plan on for the Chrysler? Eli

9. ARNIE

ARNIE

Jon, what about the Imperial lites? I'm not digging either choice yet> Arnie

10. indyjps

indyjps

Wow. I really like the car the way it sits, but it you want to change it, my votes are. Low fins, Dodge lights, ford trim, no chop, keystones

wasnt diggin the fins until the photoshop, keystones look right on this car for some reason, but not on any other car.

11. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Here you go, hope this is what you had in mind. I left the trim rings on the wheels 'cause they seem to fit better with the rest of the chrome on the car.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

12. Squablow

Squablow

Boy, the bodywork on it looks great, as does the lack of junk in the background. I'm very much liking the redlines on this car, but seeing the picture, I think it needs a nose-down rake and a lack of trim rings to pull off the look.

Excellent photoshoppery as always though, I appreciate the effort.

13. electromet

electromet
    from Tucson, AZ

Maybe it's just me, but that skewed trim on the front seems to visually pull the front up. Maybe somebody would be kind enough to Photoshop it without the trim.

Mike

14. Squablow

Squablow

I agree it does, but I love that trim, the scalloped front fenders is one of my favorite features of the Plymouth. I think with a little more tire height in the back and a little lower in the front, it'll be nailed.

I like it much better already though, it's gonna be hard to stay focused on the Chrysler now that I'm thinking about the Fury again.

15. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Okay Jon, here it is lowered without the trim rings. Made the rear tire larger too. I see what you mean now, this version has a more sinister look to it, kinda like Christene's little sister. :D
    [​IMG][​IMG]

16. Edelbroke

Edelbroke
    BANNED

Which one of these cars is gonna pull this camper! I dont see a hitch on either one...

Attached Files:

17. Squablow

Squablow

Hell yes, that looks bad ass. Those couple of tweaks make all the difference in the world. I don't know if I'd even have to go that low in the rear, just a few cranks down on the torsion bars in front and the right tire size and it'll be there. Perfect.

The Chrysler's got a hitch on it, I'm doing that one specifically as a camper puller. I've got the word out on that transmission, I'm hoping I can come up with one in the next day or so.

18. Tuxedo

Tuxedo

Love the fins... but I guess I'm a bit biased. Squablow, we seem to have a bit of the same tastes. My last car was a '60 Plymouth 2 door sedan as well.

PS - If those Imperial fins came with the lower portions and you're not looking to use them, I'd be interested. Mine have some rot that I need to patch.

19. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

I totally regret selling my 60 Plymouth two door. That's a sexy car.

20. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Thanks, I'm glad you like it. Speaking of torsion bars, I have a Cordoba front end under my '51 F1 and need to raise it a couple of inches to keep the tires from hitting the fenderwells. How many turns on those torsion bar bolts to raise it an inch or so? I'm kinda hesitant to do it without some knowledgeable guidance.

21. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Can't remember the actual number, but used to do it by 2s... You know, 2 turns on both sides, drop and look.

22. Reijer

Reijer

How's the project going? Close to getting it FINished?

23. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Hey Jon, got any updates on the '62?

24. VonDad

VonDad

My first car was a 61 neuport. Hated it. But it was in 69 so fins weren't in. Then I got me a 62 Neuport. Really clean, 20K and cherry all over. Wanted the 300 H next to it but my dad said I'd kill myself in it.

I have wanted another since 73 when I got married and gave the 62 to my brother who promptly wrecked it. Lots of memories in that old car. Courted the wife in it, prom just loved it.

I have seen a bunch of 62's on this thread. I never knew there were so many. Gives me hope in my search for another. I was never big on the fins, but the low ones look decent. And I love the 4 dr to 2dr idea. Always a dream. And you banged it out in a week. Mazing!

Thanks for turnin an old guy's crank. Loved the ideas and the pictures. Have subscribed and look forward to updates. Not much on the blue though... Dunno why... Just don't do it for me.. But that's minor.

Best to you and thanks for the memories and the inspiration.

Keep after it
    VonDad

25. I like the pic with the the '50 lights, the other lower lights makes the car look newer. Stock roof too! Great looking car!

26. Squablow

Squablow

No updates yet, got burnt out on this project and set it aside to build this one.

http://jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=714518

But that car is done now so the Chrysler is next in line again. Should be able to jump back on it in a month or so when the show season is winding down.

27. nashbearwa

nashbearwa
    from Tacoma, WA

Anything new? I can't wait to see the Chrysler all done. It gives me hope I may get mine done one day.

28. Jon, sorry, I ment to post on 'this' thred instead of the Ford thread,,,,,,,,,,,,

29. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Hey Jon, I too would like to see if this project has progressed any. I think your concept would produce a really cool car.

30. Squablow

Squablow

Not a whole lot to report on the Chrysler, am just finishing up another 2 door conversion for my dad, see below, on a '56 Chevy. Turning out really nice.

http://jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=753008

Then I've got a '47 Olds coupe I need to finish before I can get back on the '62. I did a few things to it this summer, finished the quarter window opening inserts and made some rear quarter glass templates, but that's about it.

Might be a while before I can jump back in on it full-speed, but it is still very much in the works and will get it's day in the sun when I can get back to it. I also scored some '50 Ford tail light sheetmetal/spears from another HAMBer for this project so the '50 Ford tail lights are definitely the winners.

Should look just like Eli's photoshop when it's done, I have all the '58 Fairlane side trim necessary and I plan to build my quarters based on that picture.