Register now to get rid of these ads!

Look-look-look old cars!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ford6man27, Oct 7, 2011.

1. It's all relative. I'm sure 35 years ago there were cars that wouldn't get a second look that today get snapped up for outrageous amounts of money.

2. Graham M

Graham M
    from Calgary AB

If you watch the video its at 26 seconds in. SOO many nice cars.

3. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Kinda comes down to this.
    If it was a HAMB'er he would be praised for saving old tin even if everyone knew only a handful might actually get built.
    If it's a older guy who bought them and enjoyed them as yard art or in his mind was going to fix them "one of these days" he's blasted as a hoarder.
    Look at the 'I have too many projects' threads.Same deal on a smaller scale.Most guys with too many projects never finish more than one but the others arent for sale because they will get to them "one of these days"

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

True and a lot of those were probably bought or even dumped there because the junk yard wouldn't pay a nickle for them 30 or more years ago. It wasn't that long ago that we had to beg the junkyard to come and haul hulks off and then they would only pick them up if they had title.
    Hopefully a bunch of Midwest Hambers will show up with cash in pocket and trailers in tow and pick up the desirable ones if restores don't outbid them. If the Derby guys are like the ones here they aren't in the ball game at all as they expect someone to give them a running car to tear up and aren't going to get in any bid war. The scrappers already know what they are willing to pay and won't go over. Plus the ones in the know will know that they will get a number of the cars after the first bidder has picked his parts and wants to recover some of his investment.

And if you live close enough to go and don't don't whine about it afterwards.

5. Graham M

Graham M
    from Calgary AB

WOW. I'd give my left nut to snatch up a few of them. That '37 Ford Roadster, among with so, so many others.

Hopefully this thread turns into a "look what I just bought" one.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  6. So...about how much does a Model A roadster pickup weigh? Less than 2k lbs?

[​IMG]

7. ford6man27

ford6man27

The model A pickup is nice. I also saw a 32 pickup ,nice but no bed. By the time I walked through all those cars my head was spinning so I could not really tell you what I liked best. Just to much to look at at one time.

Andy

8. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

Say what you will, but I'm glad the guy hoarded the stuff- looks like most of it is complete and ready for restoration! Too bad he didn't have a big steel shed to put them in...

Shit I'm 24 and I've got cars that I'll get to "one of these days"... I better get to work or I'll end up like this old guy and half the folks on the HAMB will shun me!

9. 1941ihkb5

1941ihkb5

WOW! Kinda happy I live too far to go... I allready have too many!

10. On the online auction the 35 is already getting some serious bids.

11. choptvan

choptvan

I will die with so many cars in my posession it's not even funny. Cuz I have a lot now. People drive by, stop. Look. Make me an offer and I laugh. I don't even reply. Sorry if you are broke, but that does not mean I will sell a 31 model a pickup complete with grille,bed, and fenders, for $500. Get lost. Insulting. THen I see threads like this where people say a bunch of crusty old bastard comments and it makes me not want to sell a damn thing just to make you more pissed when I die. If you want it, look for it. look at the market and know what a good value is. Otherwise, piss off.

12. kiwicowboy

kiwicowboy
    from linwood nc

hay choptvan, I agree I hate that if thay are buying the car thay offer you cents on the dollar,and if thay are selling it thay wont you first born.

13. paladin138

paladin138
    from dewey,ok

some of these cars used to sit in front of his motel.Tried to buy. No luck. Finally!

14. I would sure love to have a nice 31 A Pickup. I'll give you $501 for it since $500 won't do. :D

15. fuzzface

fuzzface

yea, that 35 ford so far is the most expensive with the bids up to $6750.00

2nd place so far is tied between a 59 cad convertible and 37? ford convertible at $3100.00

I figured i'd give a couple highlights for the ones just looking here and not visiting the auction site.

For some reason, i like that 23 franklin and if it doesn't move off that quarter bid, i might find myself on a road cruise after another project i really don't need at this time. :)

16. The RPU was up to $800 earlier. Any guesses where it may end up when it's all said and done?

17. Southfork

Southfork

The way I look at it, nowadays you can't reliably make any money by investing in the stock market, and you can't even get a return buy sticking your money in bank savings accounts or certifcates of deposit.

Easy solution: Put your spare change in vintage tin that you already love, and just sit on it. Over time you have the pleasure of building some into rods and admiring the rest as yard art. If you don't get them all built... oh, well, they're still worth more to your estate than the CDs or savings bonds would be. But, yeah, try to put a roof or tarp over the really good ones!!!

18. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I went by there yesterday and all I can say is Wow! It has been years since I've seen that much vintage tin in one place. Hopefully the good stuff will be bought and saved.

If I had money to spend, I'd try to buy some of it, but alas, I don't.

19. Fuel to burn

Fuel to burn

Saving old metal is not easy, It takes time, money, and a love of the old stuff. I've made some saves that I'm proud of, and I've let stuff go to scrap that I'm ashamed of. Sometimes there's just not enough time or money.

Right now there's some interesting stuff but it's 100 miles away. Seller seems alright, they know it should be saved, they just want scrap value. Add in towing and it gets expensive, and you better have some land outside of town where you can't get harassed by zoning.

It breaks my heart but that's the way it is.

20. silentpoet

silentpoet
    from NWA

Wish I wasn't so broke. And I still lived in Rogers.

21. slammed

slammed

Selling a few over the years would have allowed him to put up a few sheds for the nicer ones. Make sense, right? Right. But alas. And for those who always chip in 'there his cars, he kin do what he wants with them'. No shit.

22. Ditto!!! Collectors preserve cars. I have 11 cars and all are indoors. If I don't have an enclosed dry place for a car, I sell it or build another building. Parking cars in a field is sure to rust from the bottom up. I hate seeing cars wasting away like this!!! He wouldn't sell any and would rather watch them rot away. I would rather sell them to someone that could cover them, preserve them, fix them and drive them. This was a waste to the owner and to the cars.

23. kingofthestreet

kingofthestreet

Any of you guys going to the Auction this weekend? I&#8217;m considering making the 5 hour drive but I&#8217;ve never been to one of these farm/collector auctions and would like some impute on what you think the overall turnout will be? <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    I&#8217;m interested in several cars: 41 Ford convertible, 37 Ford convertible, 32 Ford Truck and that Black 39 Ford sedan<o:p></o:p>

24. 57J2

57J2

I think the turn out is going to be huge. There's a lot of desireable cars there, and there really hasn't been a lot of good auctions this year, in the area. You can check on www.proxibid.com for the online bidding. That 37 was sitting at $3500.00 last I saw.

25. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

I have always had luck buying from hoarders, and always end up making friends with them, the secret is treat them with respect and don't insult their intelegence, put your self in there place, you get a lead on some car, you spend your time, money and gas to retrieve the car, you store it on your property, so now your sitting on the money that the car cost you, you have to pay property taxes on the land or pay rent to store the stuff, most of them enjoy the hobby and have dreams just like us, to restore the vehicles they like for them selves, Guys always show up and want to buy their crown jewel for peanuts and argue that the stuff is just going to rot there , then you wonder why you get chased off their land, have some maners, introduce your self, talk aboat the hobby and what cars you have, offer to trade him parts that he might need for something you need, if you are going to buy, start buying the less valueable stuff first so you can build a rapor, if he is way overpriced on his stuff, then sell him stuff, bottom line is it is like any business, they bought the stuff as an investment, and like any business, they want to make a profit, if he won't sell you something you like, then leave him your number and tell him respecfuly that if he ever decides to sell said item , to give you a call. you will be surprized that besides leaving with a car, you will walk away making a new friend.

26. terryble

terryble
    from canada

Probably 25 years ago I went to an auction of old cars, trucks and tractors as well as many parts. At the beginning of the auction the auctioneer introduced a "scapper" who told all present the amount he would pay for complete vehicles. Sure saved a lot of time at the auction dicking around to get that opening bid on each car and knowing who he was everyone watched him on partial or parts cars as he opened with his only bid on each. I approached him during the auction and asked about buying parts, he said sure glass, plastic and small trim are free anything else we can negotiate. He was great to work with and I spent most of the rest of the auction taking off tail lights, trim and interior stuff. It took him a few weeks to clear off everything he had bought and I went back on several occasions and bought more and bigger pieces. Fenders, hoods and complete grills were usally in the $10-25 range. I thought it really made some of the nose picker, tire kicker types sit up and take notice and bid seriously, and of course they grumbled at not being able to take advantage of the widow who had put up with that junk for 30-40 years! Did you ever ponder why these collector, storer, horder types don't sell or want to talk to you about their treasures it's because a whole bunch of self rightious, self entitled nere-do-wells have low balled them, name called them and stolen from them. When these guys give you a price pay it and don't haggle it's not part of their game and it is their game.

27. white64

white64
    from Maine

I just see a lot of "derby cars"...

...there is some nice stuff that they didn't even mention!

I didn't see too much that couldn't be brought back form the dead, guys here have done a lot with cars much worse.

Hopfully not too much will be scrapped

28. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

Well said!
    About 1980 we did some remodeling for a guy that owned a junk yard. He worked 3rd shift in a factory and did more collecting junk than selling parts. He was well known for running off customers. He just like having junk. Anyway, he always drove oddball stuff. I struck up a conversation about his daily drivers. We then talked about old cars in general. The second day I worked on his house I asked if it would be ok to look around the yard during my lunch break. He gave me the ok. Later that day he asked if I had been through the yard. I said yes, I found something I'm interested in buying. I had spotted a Ford 9" rear in a pile of rear ends. I showed him the one I wanted. He said, wow, you're a good scrounger, and gave me a very reasonable price, but I had to dig it out on my own. That evening I pulled that rear out of the pile.......and put everything I had moved back in it's place. After that we became friends and he'd sell me anything I wanted, and always at very reasonable prices. I bought a 56 F100 $150, 62 Merc $20, 64 ford $50, 72 F250 $150, a truck bed, countless engines and other parts. All this while the general public got turned away. He offered to sell me the yard with his house, a couple of rental trailers, shop and most of his inventory for 89K back when that was a bunch of money. Still kicking myself for not buying. 20 years later the town grew up around his once rural yard and the property sold for 1.2 mil!

29. Normbc9

Normbc9

Try these. From '56 (56 years old) to 1932 (80 years old) and they are all still here and running today.
    Normbc9

Attached Files:

30. there wont be any $25 cars. The scrap market is high and they will all bring $200 a ton. So $300 to $600 minium for the complete ones. Im more interested in the farm tractors than the vehicles. Just my opinion OldWolf