Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. daveww1

daveww1

2. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

Josh;
    Just found another pic of the #10 car with my brother behind the wheel. Will send it to you soon.

3. I don't know why the dumb ass would get mad about the color. I raced hydroplanes back in the day and the rule for orange safety helmets came out sometime in the early 70's. I think the color of a fishing bobber would work great. They claim that a black helmet can be seen better than orange in the water, but those that make the rules don't always listen.
    If you get thrown out of your boat you hope that your seen. With just your head poking out of the water it's not easy to be seen at 150 MPH. By the way that's round course racing not straight line. We always told the drag boat guys ya, we know you run 200 MPH in a straight line , but at the end of the straightaway we turn left and go racing. We where called a name and that's when the fight always started.
    The Salt Walther orange helmet probably was one of his boat racing years. With Dayton Wheel sponsoring everything he had some good rides.

4. tnttoddy

tnttoddy
    from Idaho

My brother, Troy Ruttman jr was killed on May 4, 1969 at Pocono, Pa. I have studied this car with the pictures that I have, it does look like my brother, except for the strips on the top front of the race car. Is there anyway this can be blown up to be sure. I have several of the pictures of his race car that day, it looks like it except for those strips, my brother did not have time to paint the super modified, so he put #14 with duct tape. Again, is there anyway someone can magnify this picture, I would be able to tell you for sure.
    Toddy Ruttman

5. Best I could do

6. racer5c

racer5c

Welcome to the group Toddy!

Attached Files:

7. racer5c

racer5c

had a great time yesterday at Mount Lawn Vintage meet, I got to drive THREE cars! here are some pictures Butch Wilkerson in The Doc's Fike Plumbing tribute car

Attached Files:

8. racer5c

racer5c

More of Butch Wilkerson, I had to lend him my lid

Attached Files:

9. racer5c

racer5c

Johnny Coogan, getting help strapping in From Johnny Capels

Attached Files:

10. racer5c

racer5c

"Parnelli Gene" in the Doc's beautiful roadster

Attached Files:

11. daveww1

daveww1

12. daveww1

daveww1

13. daveww1

daveww1

14. daveww1

daveww1

15. daveww1

daveww1

16. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Please tell me how low a gear you were running to get around (is it?) turn three in a sprinter on pavement?

That's the only track I've ever been to with an "escape" road.

Love the ambiance of the place.

17. monkaz

monkaz
    from gilbert,AZ

A little break from the caged sprinters - Wally Campbell in Sam Traylor's Offy!

Attached Files:

18. Buildy

Buildy

A welcome break,I`d say!

19. racer5c

racer5c

I drove 3 cars, 1 midget and 2 big cars one had way to high of a gear in it, the othe car had like a 580 in it, that club doesn't let you really run hard though so the gear wasn't a huge issue

20. racer5c

racer5c

So I have been watching this ad on craigslist for months now for a sprint car, it's an Osborne car, was built for Jamie Mathews, another kid bought it from him minus the engine, supposedly it only ran 2 times. I kept looking at it thinking I could cut the cage off, put on a roll bar and put a Watson style hood and nose on it and take it to the vintage meets, well, after I make the deal for the car the kid tells me it's the last car Osborne built before he sold his shop, I have to do a little digging to find out if thats true, if it is I'm not going to cut it up, I'll post some more pictures soon

Attached Files:

21. jmcintosh

jmcintosh

Roy was my car the one that had to high off gear. It was the orange # 33

22. racer5c

racer5c

It wasnt that far off but if we were going racing it coulda been lower,but for driving around like we did it was fine! Thanks again for letting me drive it!!!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  23. racer5c

racer5c

here is what I brought home yesterday, Josh will understand the last picture, whole cage sits on top of the upper frame rail, so I have some research to do before I decide which direction to go with the car

Attached Files:

24. monkaz

monkaz
    from gilbert,AZ

A couple of hundred pages back there was a discussion about the fate of the Cheesman sprinter.
    In this rather poor newspaper photo, Bobby Black, is seen wadding up the former Cheesman sprinter on May 3,1964 at New Bremen Ohio. This was the end of the car associated with Eddie Sachs and the 1958 Midwest Sprint Championship.

Attached Files:

25. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

GREAT! Thank you!!!

26. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Yes! The rule of thumb is, if the Cage is not an intrical part of the "strength" of the frame than it was an "afterthought" of a previous design and can be cut off with very little modifiying. I'm with ya on figuring out the history... If it's Lee's last car, leave it be. I like the 80's Non Down tube cars, so I'm fine either way.

Congrats on getting it.. Can't wait to DRIVE IT! :p

J Shaw

27. sprintcar4j

sprintcar4j
    from New Jersey

Racer5c just leave it. Very nice car.