Register now to get rid of these ads!

anyone else tired of low balling tire kickers?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by crackernutz, Oct 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

I had to laugh when I saw this thread. I am glad I am not the only one. Low Ball tire kickers..... Man have I had my share of them. I had one guy who said he would be over at 3 to pick the item up, and I told him I would pass up overtime so he could pick it up, and 3 came and went. I called him to make sure he wasnt lost, voicemail.... I guess his mommy said he couldnt have it.

And all the internet offers unseen, not to mention the over seas venture offers and ship the item to LA so it could be loaded on a container swearing he is a stand up guy, or How bout, I am on leave from Iraq and trying to finish my car can I get a deal? or I am on medical leave from Iraq because of a land mine??? I could keep right on going. Every generation looses somthing, I guess that statement is true.

2. Haggling about a price is one thing, it`s part of the negotiations. Low-balling is not negotiating. It is a waste of everyone's time and energy.

3. Definitely a buyers market right now. Too bad Id have to sell one of my projects to buy another =)

I put my 41 up for sale with a firm price. Guy called me and I sent him a ton of large pictures. Talked to him on the phone and he wanted to come check it out in person. I reminded him again the price is firm period. He drove about two hours to come check it out. He got to my place. Here it is check it out, remember the price is non negotiable. Firm.

He spent around an hour going over the car and then he had a seat. Ok, I'm going to make you an offer. I told him you can offer what ever you want, I was very careful to make sure you know my firm price. Well I'm still going to offer you this...It was almost an insult. Thanks for stopping by, have a nice drive home.

Personally I hate the "thrill" of making deal. Give me your bottom line, if I like it Ill buy it.

4. George G

George G

The thing wrose than lowballers is Whiners.

Give your head a shake. The market for this old niche stuff has largely collapsed in the US economy. I say niche because young people are going for what they can afford. rice rockets. Yes rice rockets are this genrations hot rods.

So a buyer s the idiot because becuse you invested too much in parts and labour in an unfinished project or expect Barrett jackson prices for a 4 door POS?

Take you loss and get it out of the garage for leave it there for 40 years for your esate to sell as a survivor

5. BHWINC

BHWINC
    from PA.

I listed a jeep on CL a few weeks ago as parting out
    Here is one of thr idiots that replied

"Is the tranny still good and is it a 4.0 jeep if so is give you a hundred for it thanks for the time."

I responded,
    "If you want it for $100, bring your own tools and equipment and come pull it out"
    Needless to say, he must feel his time is more valuable than mine as he never replied back.

Had one other guy that wanted both diffs for $100
    Needless to say it is going to the scrapper with driveline in tact!

6. Lotek_Racing

Lotek_Racing

Ok, a guy offering a bit less thanthe asking price, I get that, everyone wants a deal.

A guy offering half or less than what I'm asking can go fornicate himself with an iron stick. That's just being a cheap, ingorant bastard.

Also, when I buy a car, I look at it and if I want it, I give the guy his money, simple.

These lowballers look the car over and tell you everthing that's wrong with it (which you already know, 'cause you own it) and then try to say it's going to cost X dollars to fix so you should take X dollars off the price.

That's not how it works, the price is a fair price, if you want a 100% perfect car, go home and save some more money.

Shawn

7. ferrets bueller

ferrets bueller
    from NW Indiana

I'd love to have that car.

8. Judd

Judd

To many people selling stuff haven't noticed the economy colapsed and think they can get what they could 3 or 5 years ago. I see a ton of stuff listed for twice what it's worth. We just had Cruisin the Coast here and every thing was 3 times what I've seen the same cars go for local or on Craigs List. Maybe you should do what I did on the last car I sold list it at what you wish you could get and lower it $100 every week till it sells or reaches a price you would rather keep it at. Or you could do what I see a lot latelly and do a trade for something you want?

9. SquireDon

SquireDon
    from Oregon

A car is only worth what somebody will pay.

10. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

It is still for sale because the buyer has more than your offer into it, and he is not going to sell it at that low of a price. He'd rather sit on it till he gets what he wants for it. It's not eating anything and he figures I'll hang it on the wall before I sell it for that offer. To you your offer seemed reasonable if he had to get rid of it and needed the money, but maybe he doesn't need to sell it that bad.

11. Bar Ditch

Bar Ditch
    from Tacoma

EXACTLY! It's called the honor system and some people are seriously sucking left hind tit with it. You respect me in this dealin and I will respect you, simple as that.LB

12. Vee 888

Vee 888
    from texas

Advertised a good compressor one time at a fair price as I was moving. First guy to call told me he would take it, so I gave him the ok on it and turned down a further 50 calls. The prick arrived and tried a low ball on an agreed price. A real lesson in Life, I now tell them the way out is the way you came in and leave quickly

13. imperialman67

imperialman67
    from minnesota

X2 If I make a lower offer than the asking price it is done with respect.
    I also respect the FIRM! in ads and won't make a lower offer.
    Also any ad that has an attitude, like NO TIRE KICKERS!, I KNOW WHAT THIS IS WORTH ,SO DON"T WASTE MY TIME WITH A LOW OFFER,
    SERIOUS BUYERS ONLY, IF I DON"T GET MY PRICE I WILL SCRAP IT etc, I don't even bother with.
    I have found these guys are mostly too far out of touch with the real world worth of what they are trying to sell. They usually end up keeping it

14. Nope. Sorry. The Seller bought a semi restored A coupe. Took the body and is dumping the chassis. Problem is I know what he payed for the car. $2700 to be exact....and he wants $2000 for the chassis. To quote his first words to me "It's sitting in the driveway. I really want it gone." Obviously he doesn't want it gone as bad as he thinks.

and lucky for me I bought a chassis a week later with all the same parts for $400 dollars. So you tell me. What is a model A chassis worth?

15. Bart78

Bart78

Had a giy yesterday ask if I would like to buy a 69 gto he has sitting out at his place. He said it needs some work but would be a good car to restore because of the shape its in. I asked how much he wanted and he just said make an offer. I did not make him an offer because I had not seen it and felt he was just fishing to see what he could get for it. He would never tell me what he wanted or a ballpark figure. I thought about offering him a 100 dollars to piss him off. I did not want the car anyway but was thinking someone else might. Thats what I cant stand is people just fishing for a price.

16. well a had my 3rd on line auction this last week and it looks like things have changed, used to get about 10% of my cost on new inventory, now am luckey to get the minimum bid of $2.00 for a lot of stuff
    so a lot of stuff is selling for about 3% of my cost, gave up on selling good metalworking and machine tools, they are just a giveaway

so if you wonder why I am cheep on what i buy , money is really hard to get, if I am buying a $2,000 car I have to sell $20,000 minimum stuff to buy the car so they dont feel very cheep to buy!!!:cool:

on another note some bidders paid and told us to keep the stuff as transport cost more than value of items, so we give a lot of stuff to scrappers to get it out of the way:p

17. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

i do agree, if a listing is making these types of statements no matter how good the price i just go to the next ad, lots of people have lost my money and redirected it to another seller with these statement, if a listing says firm i do respect it, however I have bought tons of things and very rarely is it from a listing that states firm...you still have to play the negotiation game a bit, sometimes nicking 1-2 hundred dollars off so the buyer feels he got a good deal even when you dont want just to get the car/truck out the door is worth it, you are going to get the goobers that rub you the wrong way but make dam well sure you do not place any attitude on someone until they deserve it or you will piss off and lose the real buyer that will fork over money...i have walked away from so call deals of a lifetime because the guys were pricks....my respect and dignity is priceless

18. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I hate guys who can't decide on a selling price. If an ad doesn't have an asking price and says make an offer, I don't bother with it.

I have a friend who is a hoarder. I happened to mention that I was looking for an older gas unit heater with a cast iron heat exchanger. He said he had one that was taken out of a building in the late 60s. This was in 95. I asked him what he wanted for it. After several weeks he came up with a $700 price. I looked at it and handed him the cash. It was like I was handing him a poisonous snake. He says "I don't know if I want to sell it". It sat in his shop for 30 years and now he doesn't want to sell it. I didn't push it. I found one in a building that wasn't used anymore since they put a new heating/ac system in. I asked if I could buy it and the owner told me I could have it if I took it down. There was no gas connected to it anymore and all I had to do was disconnect the electrical connection and lower it to the ground. My friend still has the one he wouldn't sell.

19. Fordtudor37

Fordtudor37

NEVER EVER have someone remove a part while on your property !

By law if you allow them to remove a part and they get hurt,
    YOU ARE LEGALLY OBLIGATED TO COVER THIER MEDICAL BILLS UNDER YOUR HOME OWNERS LIABILITY. It's the same as if you said, "You can use that torch in my garage though I know you have no idea how to use. I'll cover all your bills if you get hurt".

The law is written without time limits, but what it does say is that "the injured party must have recovered enough to sustain gainful employment".
    The law does not read "get gainful employment", so if he's already been out of work how long do you think it will take to "sustain" gainful employment.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  20. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I tell prospective buyers that the first one with the cash buys it. One guy wanted me to hold a truck for him on Friday until Monday. I told him the only way I'd hold it would be a non refundable cash fee of $300 which would be added to the price. He didn't want to do that and I sold the truck on Saturday morning.

21. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Have them sign a release form.

22. jipp

jipp

hell iv let people do that.. never thought of being held liable.. sad state we hae become.. when ones words mean shit.
    chris.

23. Larry W

Larry W
    from kansas

Can't expect the rest of the world to be as nice as you are. Once you enter the sellers world ,shit come with it...Just be prepared for it and move on.

24. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

Well I would take the OBO out of the ad

25. crackernutz

crackernutz
    from tx

craigslist is a troll forum for losers. I'm not getting any lowball offers on this forum it's just craigslist lol. I get "will you take payments" what the fuk am i bank of america?

26. I personally am tired of threads about low balling tire kickers. Much more rampant than the actual problem.:D:rolleyes:

27. crackernutz

crackernutz
    from tx

you could always not click on them..:rolleyes:

28. Or hit ONE STAR ;)

29. crackernutz

crackernutz
    from tx

ok. lol

30. spununit

spununit

Low balling is my life, and it has worked very well for me, mind you I always back it up with cash!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.