Register now to get rid of these ads!

pressurized cooling system ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by orphanautomill, Oct 8, 2011.

1. orphanautomill

orphanautomill

I just installed a Afco aluminum radiator in my truck, and am looking for info on the correct installation of an overflow tank. Does the overflow need to be sealed? What I have read indicates that it does not...

The one I have has a vent, and today on a longer trip it started boiling over.

Need to tackle this tomorrow ...

Thanks,

2. 69fury

69fury

no- your overflow bottle does not need to be sealed. just make sure the dip tube is long enough to reach down near the bottom.

-rick

3. nexxussian

nexxussian

X2

Make sure your overflow tank is large enough to accept however much expansion your system has, plus a little extra to keep it from sucking air every time it cools off.

So if you figure your system cycles through a pint (just a random volume I picked for an example, no idea if it's reasonable for your system) from cold to hot, use a two pint container and leave a half pint in it, so you have a little air space when it's full so you don't have a "spillage" issue when hot.

If it went through a quart, I would still only go a pint bigger.

4. Sir, are you asking about a coolant recovery tank or just a simple overflow tank?