Register now to get rid of these ads!

anyone else tired of low balling tire kickers?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by crackernutz, Oct 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crackernutz

crackernutz
    from tx

Currently I'm selling my Cadillac, and I get people that come look at it and want it to be perfect. The price i'm asking is a fair price for the condition it's in. If i had a perfect car i'd be selling it for 20k plus. Seems that it's a waste of my time to even sell it because of the bullshit you have to go through

2. hitman912

hitman912
    BANNED

At least you have tire kickers, the people I'm talking to just low ball me on the first email! I mean, I expected it, but come on, you offer $6k when the price says $12k? Get the fuck out of here.

3. kwmpa

kwmpa
    Member Emeritus
    from Pa

Yeah I get tired of everyone trying to buy just the parts asking me for the grill or fenders if I wanted to part it out I'd do it...I had a guy ask me to trade my 3 window for an LTD wagon...I mean come on..

4. crackernutz

crackernutz
    from tx

I'm also open to trades on motorcycles, had a guy with a bike worth around 2500 max and he said my car just wasn't worth it. cmon, it' s worth like three times the cost of your bike lol

5. badshifter

badshifter

Just sayin, it's the buyers job to get it as cheap as possible, and the sellers job to get as much as possible. Always been that way. BUT with the modern way of sales, internet, text, whatever, there is a TOTAL disconnect between people (not just buyers/sellers) that seems to have removed most civil or courteous interaction. Add the crummy economy and you get what we have now. Everybody pissed at everything.

So, for every thread about what a pain in the ass it is to sell something, there is a thread about a hoarder that won't sell. Maybe we should link threads like these together?
    Good luck!

6. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

7. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

What's lowballing to you?

8. CARtoons Magazine

CARtoons Magazine
    from Canada

That's why I just ask what the sellers bottom dollar is. Makes it easier and shows how firm the price is.

9. Deuces

Deuces

10. CARtoons Magazine

CARtoons Magazine
    from Canada

Checked out the caddy. Pretty hard to lowball that price. Yup I would be annoyed.

11. Mike Rotch

Mike Rotch
    from Easley SC

I feel your pain. It seems like you can't even give away something that's needing some work right now. I figure all the people who enjoy this hard-working hobby are too busy working overtime during the day just to keep the lights on to work on an old car.
    Set a Model A or something out in your yard with a 4-Sale sign on it and see what happens... About two hours ago this fat old dude (couldn't even fit in my truck) pulled up in a clapped-out minivan that was smoking so bad cars couldn't even see behind him gets out and says "How much you want for that thing" I tell him and he replies with an attitude like I just shit in his food "Well what is it?" I told him it wasn't for him.
    My advise: finish your Caddy and sell it to someone in Denmark or somewhere.

12. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

"The world is full of people on a cheese and bread diet, hanging out in the caviar line." Master Po

13. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

I learned a long time ago that everything I have is shit and everything everyone else has is gold, made living life alot easier.

14. Lotek_Racing

Lotek_Racing

See kids, this is meth talking...

The bottom dollar is the price it's listed for. If I wanted less, I would have posted it for less.

Any time I get a troll asking for the bottom dollar price, I just flush the e-mail and move on to the next guy.

It makes things simpler.

15. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Low BALLING tire kickers ;)

The real truth is that the buyers set the VALUE :)
    NOT the seller
    The car is only worth what someone will pay for it.
    Mor Dor 1955 Cadillacs are not at the top of most everyones WANT LIST.

You may have 10/12 or even 15 grand in the Caddy ... but invested price and TRUE VALUE are two totally different things.

You might need to revalue your Caddy ... or find better ways and places to market.

Disclaimer :

I do not own a 50's Caddy ... or keep up with their real or percieved value
    BUT I have been messing with cars for over 40 years.

The market is TOUGH out there now.

16. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Absolutely, If some dehorn asks me what the lowest price I'll take is, I inquire as to their first language, as I assume that English is not it. I don't post stuff for sale to attract companionship and pen pals. I price it so someone will buy it. I, like most HAMBers, go to swap meets, auctions, shop Ebay, CraigsList. I know what stuff is worth, and I usually try to stay under market a buck or two. If someone sounds genuine but really wants to haggle by less than 50 bucks on bigger items, I tell them they've got a half hour to get here with exactly as much money as they offered. Otherwise, I suggest that they're really wasting both of our times. When you offer something for sale, you're not always going to get topnotch people showing interest. Sometimes you just have to winnow out the chaff from the wheat, and perhaps grind it under your brogans while you're at it. Most people don't really know how to buy stuff, and as long as you maintain control of the transaction, you can usually lead them where you want to go...assuming they aren't total tools with dust in their pockets.

dj

17. Gator

Gator

18. Something is only worth what the buyer is willing to pay....

For example. I watched a model a chassis for almost 6 months before I offered $1500 on a $2000 dollar asking price.....It's still for sale. According to the buyer it is worth way more......But if it's such a good deal why is it still for sale?

19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The last one didn't even come out and kick tires, he called and tried to lowball me on the 51 Chev 1-1/2 ton I have for sale over the phone. It takes dealing with all kinds I guess.

There is a similar caddy sedan here locally that has no windows in it and probably only half an engine at best and the guy is asking 4000. He has a bunch of stuff for sale and never seems to sell anything though.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  20. CARtoons Magazine

CARtoons Magazine
    from Canada

No it's called " everyone likes to get a deal every now and then". I never low ball and if someone wants to really sell there vehicle, they will reply with there "bottom dollar". Just like the metro I just bought. He was asking $1200 And shipping would of cost me over $1000. I asked him his " bottom dollar" and replied with $800 which really helped cause of the shipping. So there us nothing wrong with asking. Low balling is just an insult. To each there own.

21. ironpile

ironpile

most of them have been watching too much Pawn Stars. Most of us know better than to ask double what we want. Then again a lot of sellers have no clue as to what they are selling is worth in todays economic climate.

22. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

i just bought a 56 f100 truck for $2600...the guy i bought if from said he could not get anyone that was making reasonable offers, not even close to the $2900 he wanted. the cab and frame are perfect and just redone with 0% rust and the engine, suspension and brakes just rebuilt and came with new tires, rims, exhaust and running boards, a box with $500 in new random parts and come with 98% of the parts to complete the car...i think I got a heck of a deal while others may not see the value and say its a POS. What I'm getting at is if you wait long enough someone will see the value and you may get what you are asking for it, as long as its a fair market price, if you need to sell it faster you may have to give a bit on the price but dont give it away if you can avoid it

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  23. Duece's wild

Duece's wild

Ain't America great?

24. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

It's a 4 door. Few, if any, want one.

25. slammed

slammed

Make the statement 'price is FIRM'. Nothing less, period. And yes, some dorkus will still lowjack ya, it's Amerika land of clueless.

26. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

good point the sellers truck was right for me and i was willing to cough up the money...the trick i guess is finding the match and advertising it to as many people as you can to find the one...i found the sellers truck on craigslist

27. bob t!

bob t!
    BANNED

i understand you being upset with lowballers the ones with offers so low they insult you. But as a buyer i see prices so rediculous i just walk on by.If the price is in the ball park i will either make an offer or ask if thats the best you can do? Just good business and no one is insulted. If you say no and do not insult me with some asshole remark i will probly step up and pay full retail.

28. Lild

Lild

If youre not ready to deal with people dont post an ad

29. kwmpa

kwmpa
    Member Emeritus
    from Pa

Well when I sell things I price it at what I have in it or just under...I still get lowball offers when I say price is firm...I had a crestliner wheel that I had priced exactly what I paid for it I sent this guy tons of pictures and even offered to pay for shipping...price I had on it was $1500....guy came back at $750 I passed and sold it a week later for the asking price....bought another with the money that was nicer for the coupe

30. bodyman

bodyman
    from east tx

its just part of the deal when selling . why get upset ? i never get mad or upset i excpect it ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.