Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Race that Didn't Happen GIANT Showdown THANKS!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scarylarry, Oct 2, 2011.

1. scarylarry

scarylarry

Kim & I would like to thank all the racers & spectators that showed up yesterday at Beaver Springs to support the Jalopy Showdown Drags. Let's face it, there was a VERY slim chance that the weather was not going to kick our asses this weekend and all you guys still came out to support us & you just can't know how much that means to us. You brought cars from PA, MD, OH, Canada, NY, NJ, VA, bought poster & shirts for the race that never happened & we are still overwhelmed by the support!!!
    For those that were there & didn't get a refund at the gate, hold on to your red tickets & we will honor them next year for the show (or any date you show up for a race at Beaver Springs). Also if you want a shirt or poster I'll have some at Hershey & will be at my space Thursday for sure, in & out Tues & Wed. RSB39 behind the stadium.
    Also spoke with Bob Bilbow about next years show & a special Lyndwood dragster race to be added to the program! More info as we put things together. Thanks again & see everyone soon.

2. treeserv

treeserv
    from n.j.

I never [ allmost ] had so much fun.Thanks Larry...

3. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

We drove 4 1/2 hrs to try and run our dragster and would again
    Rain......It happens

Got to put faces to the voices on the phone and meet some great people

Was well worth it

Tony

4. Amanda Suckerpunch

Amanda Suckerpunch

Even just HEARING some of the East Coast Gassers cars get fired up in their trailers made for a better Saturday than my usual. Wouldn't miss even a SLIM chance to watch those guys run.
    Thank you, Larry and Kim, and your staff. See you in May!

5. rt66jt

rt66jt
    from York, PA

Had a pleasant scenic drive, scored some cool swag, saw some cool cars; still the best Saturday I've had in quite awhile.

6. BigChief

BigChief

Driving almost 400 miles round trip for a soggy T-shirt, getting slammed by Lulabelle and seeing your mug was worth the trip. Glad we made it and thank you for all your hard work to put it on for us.

7. Verminator

Verminator

We still had a great time !!! We love sleeping in the truck and The Falcon needed to get washed anyway

8. I would have to assume,there is no plan to try and get the event in for 2011..

only asking because Thompson has a Fall Gasser event Oct 15.

Rick

9. Larry and crew... does Junior count? ha ha
    We rolled out from cincinnati, because we know that this event is KILLER! So we got the little hooker errr honker ( thats her new name cause she is) outta the trailer saturday in between showers and warmed it up... off on the tune up for that great PA air... but f it. Hung out with Tony and his old man saturday night... and Mista Norwell too.. Good times gentlemen. Well damn rain, oh well, it happens! Thats half the fun! (maybe)
    Good time guys, will see you at the eastern museum soon and as always in detroit and latimore. Thank thank thank you as always..

Oh yeah, why do we neverlearn how to buy beer in PA? i think im retarted... maybe ill look for the breathalizer credit card funded wine dispenser next year! ha ha see you guys later

T.Hilton and the old man

10. scarylarry

scarylarry

No plans for a 2011 make up date, today was it.

11. Manson

Manson
    from Baden, MD
    1. Maryland HAMBers

Larry- despite the rain and cold, my girl and I still had a great time and you can count on us to be there next year. A big thanks to you, Bob, and the rest of the crew for putting this event on.

12. The only thing that sucked about this weekend was the rain. And it didn't kill everything. For those brave souls that stayed at the track, there were some adventures....Friday night drags had some of the locals racing along with some of the event cars. Couple of the East Coast Gassers were running along with a couple Slick Devils....we got Marks bad ass gold flake A truck to run a 12.93 on its third pass! Friday night Dan had a make shift drive- in on the back of his trailer and we watched the Gasser Reunion, it looked like old 8mm... Saturday was fun to mingle with old friends and make some new ones...everybodys cackle fest in the trailers was something different....I took Reaper out for a pass down the return road....love the Beaver and how the return road goes in front of the stands...Swap meet had some goodies...Saw T. Hilton with a dragster axle before I even got over to the swap....when is the last time anyone saw a SOHC valve cover at a meet? Got the camp fires going and when the rain picked up we watched Hot Rod and Hollywood Knights at my trailer. Not all was lost as we did get in the Flashlight Drags saturday night. Rob was again the champion with his modified Schwinn crate. It was decided that the rubberband war would end before it started and I was offered for firing squad! Unfortunatly Sunday mourning looked worse than Saturday so everyone started packing up before Bob even got out of his house....Thanks everyone that did attend, and we will be back next year!

13. cgaswillys

cgaswillys
    from New Jersey

Kim & Larry, thanks for putting on this even, we'll be back next year. Beaver Bob, thanks for providing the perfect place for this event. We love racing at your track. I've got to agree with what everyone has said. Still had a good time even though we never even got the Willys out of the trailer. The East Coast Gassers had 14 guys show up even with the bad forecast. We will be back in force next year.

14. BOP-Nut

BOP-Nut

It was a 7 hour rainy, shitty round trip (in my girlfriend's Honda of all things) but was still worth it to hang out for a few hours. Can't wait for next year, hope the weather will be like last years again.

15. Verminator

Verminator

Dan's Drive In worked out pretty well friday night. Since we couldn't make the Gasser Reunion this year, it was good to catch it on video. Unfortunately, Kim wanted to watch the movie and I couldn't get to second base....

16. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I checked in both mornings in case someone went mad and turned on the racing... my first time there, looked like some interesting cars, and I really want to see some early '60's type rails running...will be back for sure next time.
    That part of Pennsylvania was really hit hard by all the water of the last few weeks... the Susquehanna was higher and wider than I have ever seen it, every creek was up around its trees, and it looked like most rural bridges were either closed or under major repair.
    The human cost is obviously high...I was scouting the Harrisburg area for Hershey motels, and found that many of the big ones were fully booked up by FEMA for all the people with flooded out houses! I'm no longer grousing about the puddle that was in my basement for 3 days!

17. Just the luck of the draw here as Maple Grove got in two rounds of nitro only a few miles away as the crow flies.

18. sumo

sumo

Thanks as always Larry and Kim, Nicolas had so much fun he was asleep by 522, he slept the whole way home, until we had to stop at Walmart to get him a Hotwheels car. Great seeing The crew, the verminator family, and Don Moyer, See you soon
    Sumo

19. evol55

evol55

It was a great trip to see some cool cars and hear them start up. I think that made the whole trip.

20. rodknocker

rodknocker

Larry, is there anywhere I could buy a couple shirts and some posters? I won't be making it down to PA for a while? Thanks

21. scarylarry

scarylarry

22. rodknocker

rodknocker

Money sent thanks.

23. Zor

Zor
    from Phoenix

Larry,
    I was out there with EJ and the gang. We were really excited to get the Lyndwood on the track again. Oh well, there's always next time. It was good seeing some old friends and making some new ones. We threw an impromptu Top Skater and Donkey Kong party at EJ's shop when we got back. Bruce Larson swung by with Don Garlits and invited us to get rained out at Maple Grove the next day. They had just about the same luck with the weather.