Register now to get rid of these ads!

my dad is telling me to not do my own brake lines and take it to a shop to do it.....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by luvzccr, Oct 8, 2011.

1. luvzccr

luvzccr

majorly frustrated this morning because ever since february i've been doing pretty much everything on this 58 ford of mine. literally, with little or no help from my dad. and there were times when he said i should take it to a shop to have other stuff done to it but i prevailed and did what he said couldnt be done.

well now im at the braking part of my project. i have a build thread on here but im so worked up this morning i needed to make a seperate thread to ask you guys about your opinions.

i am doing a disc brake swap, i have everything i need, now im just fitting the lines. he told me that its all about presicion and all this stuff and how he watches these shows on the speed network or something and i shouldnt do my own lines. i shouldnt mess around with this and i should take it to a shop and have them do everything.

im just re-doing the front ones. i have pre flared lines and im bending them alongside the frame rails and up to the proportional valve and i thought i was doing a good job but one line was too short and i was gonna get a slightly longer line but he said 'you cant do that you cant have too many loops or its not gonna work right', i understand his point of view but i mean, is it wrong of me to think i can do my own brake lines? SHOULD i be able to? its not rocket science is it? am i wrong to disagree with my dad when i tell him 'ive done everything else so far and i dont want anyone else touching my ride, i want to make my own lines, i know i can do it'.... just some opinions from some old timers might help.

or should i do what he said and wait and just take it to a shop -__-

2. Henry Ford's dad said he couldn't do his own brake lines either.
    He did see it on tv though so it must be true.

3. JimC

JimC
    from W.C.,Mo.

I say do a little research on how to do brake lines. As far as I know, it is not about the length of the line and more about the pressure.
    I would want both sides of either back or front as near eaual length as I could get.
    And, you will want to double flare all brake lines.
    I have installed my own brake lines and not have had a problem. You do not want to kink any hard line, fuel or brake.

4. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

If you have the right tools its not to hard just remember to do double flares

5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Doing your own lines is something anyone can do with time and patience. Get a good flaring tool, a tube bender and go for it. I did my rear section on my T and had never done it before. Came out great and it's money saved for other things.

Maybe get a section of line from the parts store and practice on it. Get used to the tools and how they work. Use some hard wire to make a templete or guide to follow, if you need to. Learning something new is what's great about this hobby. Just take your time.

6. rcoffey

rcoffey

Do it your self . If you have a problem work it out .Brakes are very important and should be done correctly,if you take your time im sure it will be ok.just a few things to look out for #1 splices to a minimum one along the frame to the rear is ok as long as it doesnt leak or has a kink in it.just be sure of the front components assembly and ask questionsgood luck and most of all have fun.there is nothing like the satisfaction of doing it your self

7. I'm an old timer for sure, and the first thing i'd say is that I'd give anything for my dad to be able to advise me on my cars, but he can't because he's been gone for 35 years. That said, I think he is looking out for you, almost any part of the build you can screw up or make a mistake on, EXCEPT the brakes. You can probably handle it O K since you seem to have done fine on the rest of the car, but maybe , on this one thing, cut him some slack and let a certified guy look at it. For one thing you said you were starting out with the fronts and converting to Discs, and you referenced a proportioning valve, well the proportioning valve goes in the rear line to the rear wheels, maybe some professional advice is a good idea, I've been building cars for 40 years and I still have some things done for me. Besides, if it makes dad feel better, why not, some day you'll be glad you did.

8. nickleone

nickleone

Pressure in a 1 foot line is the same as pressure in a 5 foot line connected to the same master cylinder. Its is not like electricity where the longer the wire run the higher the voltage drop.
    Just do it.

Nick

9. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

You should be able to do it as long as you are just replacing lines with ready made flared lines, and not kinking them. My dad told me " don't start the damned thing if you can't stop it." He put a lot of emphasis on doing the job right but was willing to show me. Keep your lines away for exhaust pipes and secure it every few feet.

10. S.F.

S.F.

do it yourself, its not hard, just make sure all the fittings are tight, and nothing is going to rub(as to possibly break the line) ...Oh...and im sorry to inform you, but your dads a wuss. sorry.

11. gasser300

gasser300
    from Ft Worth

I bought prefab lines at Oreilly and did my own with a sweet lil bender I bought. I had no clue what I was doing and used a diagram I found online and in the Speedway catalog. And now they have some new kind of lines that bend easier or something like that.

You can do it. I ruined a few trying to get them correct on the rear end but they were cheap.

12. erlomd

erlomd

I agree...brakes are just as fun building as anything else on the car...all you need is a little know how, which is easily attainable now days with places like this and you tube.
    Do your homework, get cheap tools and parts and do it yourself...

13. -Brent-

-Brent-

This job is something you can do, for sure. You're taking a good approach about learning/reading first and then going about the job.

My dad used to be the same way with me. He did it with my first race car build as a teen (we didn't talk for a long while with that one), then about carpentry when I was apprenticing (now he drives by no less than five half-million dollar homes I framed in my old neighborhood), and he did it a couple years back - when he saw my 20 roadster for the first time.

Actually, he still does, just not about cars but other stuff I am learning and I'm in my mid 30's. I look at it like he still sees me as his little kid and I kind-of admire that, so I am just patient and then I discuss whatever it is I've gotten done after the fact.

It's tough to see your kid grow up and be self sufficient.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  14. chubbie

chubbie

I know my dad always said i couldn't do it either, i told him he maybe couldn't do it but i could. If you have a "good" parts store, get extra lines of different lengths. and ask them to hang on to the ticket till your done and return the ones you don't use. Ive done this many times. I only cut and flair when i have to. Don't kink the lines! be carefull not to X thread the connections. don't tighten any thing till you are done with all the lines. now start to tighten the connections. a couple of good "line" wrenches are worth the money. to many bends??? na he's paranoid. if you get some crazy loops going you could get some air traped:( go to a large animal Vet. and buy the biggest syringe they have and some 1/4" vacuum hose, pressure the line with brake fluid from the wheel cylinder to the master cylinder. any other questions PM me

15. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

theres no way id pay someone to do up brake lines.

16. das858

das858

You can do it, you'll find it's one of the easier parts of a build, don't be afraid to try new things, you'll gain a lot of confidence with each new project.

17. jipp

jipp

it think you said it best. im lucky to have a step dad who i consider my dad but he did not come into my life till i was 15.. by then i was pretty self efficient growing up as the man of the house.. none the less iv learn let the guy care for me and take his advice and walk a fine line with advice.. heh.. lot of things i do to make him feel good. and just do it my own damn way. hah.. rock on.

and breaks is something you can learn to do its not hard. :)
    research yup.. then maybe have someone look it over after you are done. that's what i did when i redid my breaks on a old dune buggy when i was like 16.

chris,

18. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

Do it yourself, its not hard and it sounds like you already have the motivation. One word of caution though, if you find that you have to cut and flair lines, my recommendation is to use the factory type double flair lines where ever you can but if you have to make a cut and flair , stay away from the double flair . Instead use the AN style fittings that require only a single flair and backup ferrule. But make sure you use steel not aluminum fittings. I had a heck of a time making the double flairs and ended up scrapping most and converting to AN fittings. Not one leak with the AN fittings. I think there are a couple spelling mistakes here but I'm too tired to worry about it. Good luck.

19. Barn-core

Barn-core

You can absolutely do this yourself. Sometimes I like to use a wire hanger to plot out the bends ahead of time, then you'll also know how long of a line you'll need. I've looped pre-made lines before that were too long, doesn't affect anything. As long as you've used the right materials, have no leaks, and have bled them properly, that's really about all there is to it.

20. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

i cut, bent and double flared all of the brake line on my first build.

21. 48SuperConvert

48SuperConvert
    from Seattle

It's been said before...but is very sound advice. Do it yourself after you have done the research and acquired the proper equipment.
    But to keep peace in the house, have it looked over by a shop after completion and include your dad when you go. Not as a "I told you so" but out of respect and if you have done something incorrect thank you father.
    Good luck with your project!!!

22. cheveey57

cheveey57

Do them yourself and when it comes time to bleed them then ask Dad for help.

23. Don't listen to a damn thing your father said.....He'll still be claiming you can't do it even after you are driving it.

24. Gotta respect your dad even when he is wrong. Find an older hot rodder tha t has done it to HELP YOU do it. Brakes lines are theraputic and well done lines are like looking at fine art...........well to me anyway.

25. -Brent-

-Brent-

Just be happy you're not building a car with brake RODS! That seems to ruffle all sorts of feathers - family members or not! :D

26. Also Learn to Double flair. Those AN fitting things are a bandaids for someone who can't double flair.

27. falconwagon62

falconwagon62

been doing mine for 35 years...not hard...keep'em clamped as they said, not rubbing...read some instructions...you'll be fine....

28. gasheat

gasheat
    from Dallas

Brake lines are simple. Learn how to double flair, learn how to measure, learn from your mistakes. You may have a small pile of mistakes when you are through, but you will have mastered another automotive skill. I knew nothing about it when I did my roadster 15 years ago. When it was completed, when all the leaks were tightened, I was so proud of my skill. Then OOOOPPPPPSSSS. I forgot to plump the pressure switch into the line. Now I help other guys do their lines because they have the same concerns as you and I have the experience. One suggestion. Cover the "connection" areas around the frame and other parts with aluminum foil to keep any leaking brake fluid off painted parts. Remove the aluminum foil when the leaks are fixed. You can do it.

29. What really scares me is the "Technician" that is supposed to be the expert at the local franchise brake place.

30. BCR

BCR

Hard to screw up brake lines, brake hoses are another matter.

If you have to make new brackets to mount the front brake hoses or the rear, you need to keep a few things in mind.

Brake hoses, especially the rear, hate heat. Keep it away from the exhaust system.

The front hoses will need to be long enough to not tear off , but postioned correctly to not be crushed between the frame and tire or rim.

Same for the rear hose, long enough but not too long for suspension travel.

I have seen a few cars come in with some pretty shoddy brake line and hose routing.

I know this sounds elementary but it is your first time so I figured it would not hurt.

As for the hardlines, follow the other advice you are getting.