Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1960 Chevy roadster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mopar1779, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Mopar1779

Mopar1779

I been thinking, and i'm going to take my 60 chevy pickup cab, cut the roof off and narrow it up. Making it a roadster. set it on a model a frame and go from there. I just wanted to see some pictures of actual roadsters.

Thanks, Brandon

2. TubularGoose

TubularGoose

W.....t.....f. Haha. I've got a 63 and would love to see yours without a roof. Not that I in anyway would cut the roof off my truck, but think it's a neat idea.

3. Funny..oh you're serious?..never mind.

4. VNTGE41

VNTGE41
    from l.a.

noooooo!!!!!

5. Sounds like a really fun idea.

Have you made scale sketches to see if it will really look like what you're imagining?

How much fabrication experience do you have? It might be good to start with small changes if you're not yet an old pro at metalworking.

6. Didn't Rod & Custom do a sketchpad on this a few years ago?

Finding a windshield after it's narrowed will be a bitch.

7. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

"Tread lightly, grasshopper. Your path is thorny." Master Po

8. badshifter

badshifter

So.... you are going to f-up, I mean modify your truck? Or you just want to see roadsters? Or both?

9. wheeler.t

wheeler.t

I have a 50 chevy cab I chopped the roof off of andtook 12 inches out of the rear of the cab and 14 up front. The plan is/was based off a thom taylor sketch.
    I got the cab free and it was in bad shape so I didnt feel bad about cutting it up

10. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

60 has a wrap around windshield . Are you going to cut it in the center and butt it together or run a flat glass ?

11. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Yep, I believe it was R&C. IIRC, they had an early 60's Chevy p/u and a late 50's F100 (among others) "crafted" into roadsters.

12. caseyscustoms

caseyscustoms
    BANNED
    from st.joe, MO

13. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

Attached Files:

14. HELLVIS

HELLVIS

never mind the haters...do it

15. slammed

slammed

Never mind the newbies! Use a MOPAR truck, you know outside the box (zing-o) and stuff a 413 period perfect cross rammed beach-of-motor. Lets see some Dodges!

16. jipp

jipp

the drawing looks sweet. and looks like from the blue to the metal you made a lot of progress. go for it man.

chris.

17. VonKool13

VonKool13

WoW!!! None of the these rat turd rodz look anything like that drawing.

Why can't you build something else until you can afford to buy a real roadster body. Here's an idea, scrap your 60' cab for a good start on buying a roadster body.

18. slammed

slammed

You see what just cutting the top off looks like. It would take a monumental effort to come anywhere near that rendering. Here's something else to consider: Since that drawing by Thom have you seen one that came close? There is a reason.

19. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

20. FatDaddy53

FatDaddy53

do it!!!! break from the norm theres thousands of those trucks at any show

21. jipp

jipp

i bet the truck in metal looks damn close to the drawing/

you can def tell he modified the window from stock.. ( my opinion of course which means nothing) looks pretty bad with just the stock window it in it.. it will use flat glass now i would guess.. cant wait to see this one finish.. see if im right or not..

chris.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  22. there was someone on her doing a roadster out of a 1960 el camino.

23. Mike Rotch

Mike Rotch
    from Easley SC

Although this sorta thing is generally frowned upon, I say have at it. Put your safety goggles on and cut it up. It'll be fun, you won't get into any trouble, and might learn a few things.
    It's not like its a 33 Willys or something, besides if you tried to pass it on to someone else no one would contact you about it except a few lazy loony-tunes that couldn't even use it and the scrappers.

24. I say do it. But rusty new yorker is right. The windshield will be a bear. If it were me I would start with a windshield out of a donor vehicle. Heighth is one thing to take out of a w/shield. Length is a whole other story. Have fun, and good luck.