Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The History Of Los Angeles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

Or this roadster with whitewalls and "hot rod" taillights?

Attached Files:

2. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

Thanks for finding those clips. They are priceless, the cars, signs Bunker Hill as it was. Makes me want to get back to work on my time machine.

3. HarryPallenberg

HarryPallenberg

4. Awesome! I have a Plomb 1/4" drive socket set and ratchet in the original metal box. My mom bought it during WWII when she went to work at Lockheed to build P-38s. I still use it almost daily.

5. pizzapaiute

pizzapaiute
    from agoura ca

I'm new here. love the old photos of L A. I can never find pics of the Westland center on Pico between Westwood and Overland from the late 50's to early sixties. That was before the May Co and then the Mall came in. There was an empty lot on the corner of Overland and an old school shopping center with a Vons and Newberry's. If you have any pics I'd love to see them. Thanks.

6. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

I grew up near there, remember the Apple Pan ??

7. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

8. pizzapaiute

pizzapaiute
    from agoura ca

I sure do. I grew up on Esther between Westwood and Overland. I'm 63. The Apple Pan is still there. Not much else survives from the old days.
    You might like the facebook page; You Know You Grew up in WLA if you Remember.

Where did you live?

9. OLLIN

OLLIN

there was a pic taken on overland here in one of these pages...
    good luck finding it now!!. I believe it was where the parking structure goes up to the top at the west side pavilion..

10. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

I grew up in West L.A. on Sawtelle Blvd, hung out at Ketchie's Stand and the Flying M Gas station on La Grange and Sawtelle.

Se some W.L.A. history on <cite>www.countyofangels.com</cite> I posted some non car related stuff there.....

11. pizzapaiute

pizzapaiute
    from agoura ca

We hung at Scott's on Pico and Westwood in the late 60's. I did karate at the WLA Karate School on Sawtelle south of Santa Monica. It was an American Legion hall that we used for the school. That was in 67 for a few years until we moved to Pico and Sawtelle.

12. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

there was some doubt that the fire department could get enough water pressure to reach to the top of the 25 story tall City Hall, so the Fire Chief did a demonstration

[​IMG]

13. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I think it was 1984 because I lived off Lambert and graduated from CalHi in 1981 and I was cruisin Whittier in my 57 in 1983 and then I got my 55 Nomad running in 84 and the scene was still happening.

14. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Hmm, if the FD was in as much hot water then as they are today. With enough Beer anything is possible. OK boys, last one to go over the building buys the next round. :D

15. rod rialto

rod rialto
    from rialto, ca

WOW, thanks to all of you guys who posted here. I turned 40 this year, but I can remember the smog advisories, the nuclear attack drills, and going to ascot in the early 80's. Everything changes, some for the better, some for the worse.

16. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

Here is my minor contribution to a very enjoyable thead. My wife and I were wandering around Pasadena this morning and we stopped at a "veranda" sale (peons like me call them yard sales) at the Castle Green. I've attached a photo of it that was posted earlier by another HAMBer ... the place has been beautifully preserved except that the wing shown on the right of the photo no longer exists.

Anyway, I found the other photo at the sale. The gas station (possibly Shell) was at East Walnut and Marengo Ave. in Pasadena and I would guess the photo was made about 1930 (the tires on display look a little "fat" to be much earlier). Sadly, neither the station nor the beautiful church in the background survived, replaced by bland office buildings and a non-descript parking structure.

I have no explanation for the penguins and igloo in the background of the picture!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  17. Special Ed

Special Ed

Looks like those penguins were being used as a promotion for Shell's own version of antifreeze or "Thermolizing" .... :) You know... 'cause it gets so cold here in Southern California!

18. Diggin the shell picture with the penguins.I like the other picture too,that place was pure class,it kind of reminds me of the old Arrowhead Springs Resort that sits empty,it was a hotspot for all the big Hollywood people in the 40's.

19. yard man

yard man

If thats Walnut and Los Robles, the church is still there, and that shell station is now an ARCO or the abandoned burger joint next door.

20. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

It wouldn't be the first time that Google Earth screwed up ... the address 199 E. Walnut shows office buildings, etc. I'll drive by the next time I'm back in the area to check it out.

21. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Yard man you beat me to it! I was looking at that pic as well, I know that corner well. It is looking southeast down Los Robles. Hutch's Barbeque is caddy corner and on the next block heading east from that ARCO on the northside of the block was originally Lucky Boy Burgers-Amy's, "Fast Food with a Flair!", It's been abandoned for a few years,but something is going on there. My Dad,Sis and I used to meet there for coffee and grub.
    That picture of Central Park is truly amazing! It's very cool to see the HG intact, not all of that was demo'd. The lower floor is still on the southeast corner of Raymond/Green St It is part of Stats. The original Santa Fe Depot used to be right south of the East Wing=Original Hotel and was of Victorian Architecture and wood construction. In the late 30's The spanish style stuco was built just to the south of the original depot and remains today as a restaurant.

I wish that Central Park could be restored to its original splendor. The Castle Green has a Christmas Tour that allows the public to tour the West Wing of the building and allows the public to enter the rooms of what is now a large co-op. I believe its around $20.00 a head and the views are incredible!

22. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

It's a float for the Rose Parade, when you lighten the picture you can see one wheel in the gravel below (then a spoked one out on the street in front of the curb), and frame & mechanisms under a raised portion of the skirt, also an operator's window in the side of the igloo.
    Likely it was parked and serviced there prior to the parade (I doubt it was built there).

'30 was about the time they started up with commercial product sponsored floats, but still before the "all natural" materials rule was in place.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  23. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

The address that I originally posted was not correct ... I drove by the address today and the station was at E.Walnut and Marengo, not Los Robles. You are right about the Arco station on Los Robles, but the gas station and church at the location in the photo are long gone.

I've corrected my original post ... map reading was never my long suit.

24. 62cadd

62cadd

Man I miss LA, the food,the cars,the culture...makes me sad..

25. 62cadd

62cadd

Just like the cars they dont make them or build them like that anymore..... and just like today's cars lots of plastic parts...

26. Blown 61

Blown 61

Me too:(

27. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

I moved out of L.A. when I retired. My closest Tommy's is Simi or Magic Mountain. They are now building one in Ventura which is 25 min. from me. I got to get them to have a cruise night there. IMy first Tommy's was in 1961 and have been addicted to them since.

28. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Funny thing about Tommy's guys. Although I have Tommy's very often I miss the way it use to be. Friday nights with long lines to either of the windows. But it went fast I mean fast. You better have your order ready to say to them or you get come on come, then ok next person. Talk about team work by them guys then. The patty guy heard you the bun guy heard you and the cashier was ringing you up as fast as you was speaking. Pow!!!!! food was up. Not that way no more, sad.

29. +2 Meeeeeeeeee Too !!!

30. gearheadphotography

gearheadphotography
    from Colorado