Register now to get rid of these ads!

1949 Mopar More-door

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by falconvan, Aug 9, 2011.

1. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

Wow, this was worse than I thought once I started cutting. The drivers side was worse so I'm knocking it out first. The bottom 4 inches of the B pillar was gone as was 1/2 of one of the braces and the inner rocker. It looks like someone had put a new outer rocker on right over the old rusted out one at one point. So I didnt have to remove the old rocker, it just fell out on its own once I started cutting. I'm not fixing it all right now; just building a structure that will support the floor and give me something solid to build from if I decide to go back later and go further with it.

Attached Files:

2. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Man, you are rockin' and rollin'! Good progress.

3. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

Thanks! Something like this I try to get done quick. Not much $$ needed to get it roadworthy and the repairs are fairly basic. I want this thing driving in a few months!

4. I think I have a NOS rocker for that car(or atleast thats what I was told it fits).......if your intrested let me know I can send you a few pics

5. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

Thanks, I'll let you know. This outer rocker was usable; we'll see how the other side looks. Got most of the drivers side cut and tacked in tonight.

Attached Files:

6. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

The other side was easier; lots more solid metal to work with plus the braces were all in good shape. I've got one section left to do; should be able to wrap it tomorrow.

Attached Files:

7. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

Pretty much finished the floor today. I had a few spots with some small pinholes so I rust proofed them and hit them with some All Metal filler; as soon as it dries I'll do all the edges with some seam sealer and paint the floor with some POR-15. Next we move onto the brakes!

Attached Files:

8. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

Ok, that's about as far as I'm going with the floors. I seam sealed the edges and the welds and hit the whole thing with POR-15. Next I'm going to start on putting the brakes together; I should have everything I need. I also pulled a complete front to rear wiring harness out of a Olds wagon a friend of mine was scrapping. With some slicing and dicing I think it'll do the job fine.

Attached Files:

9. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

Here's what I came up with for the brakes. The old master cylinder was shot and I wanted something with a dual resevouir anyway. This one is a replacement for a 67 Fairlane. The old one had the pedal pivot incorporated into the casting so I had to build a bracket. It came out great; bolts right in where the old one was and the pedal is in the correct location.

Attached Files:

10. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

Over the last few times in the garage I've got all the front wheel cylinders replaced, new shocks installed, and all new brake lines plumbed in the front. Still need to do the rear but that's coming up later. I got the broken seat slider fixed and the front seat back in, plus got the engine up on a stand so I can take a look at the inside. I've got a few days off so I'm going to try and tackle the wiring some cleanup and repair on the inner fender wells in the front clip, and maybe get the oil pan pulled from the motor so I can get a look at the bottom end.

Attached Files:

11. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

I had one side of the fender wells rusted through so I did a little patching and then painted the whole thing with POR-15.

Here's what I have for wiring; a friend of mine was scrapping a early 80's Buick G-body wagon so I just took everything front to back. I laid the whole thing out and started cutting out all the extras and labeling everything. After a few hours I had it trimmed down to a fairly simple harness that'll cover everything I need. I went ahead and mounted the fusebox; i"ll start putting the rear harness in tomorrow.

Attached Files:

12. The Continental

The Continental
    from Texas

Nice to see someone doing one of these. Gives me hope someone will snatch up my dad's 51 Plymouth before it gets sent to the scrap yard.

13. bct

bct

i have a 51 dodge 4dr that i drive to school every day ....i love the six and i upgraded the brakes/rear.....should be a solid driver for years to come.....but man is it ugly.all the best with your project.....

14. Spanish Fly

Spanish Fly

15. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

Ugly adds character, BCT. Your Dodge sounds really cool; cant wait to drive this one. Here's what I came up with for the fuel gauge;this is from the Buick. I'm going to use the Buick tank so it's already got the right sending unit and the wiring is right for it. Plus it's free. I opened up the engine and it looks like someone rebuilt this thing not too long ago. Zero sludge in the pan, you can still see hone marks on the cylinders, and all the bearings look new. I'm just going to get a gasket kit and stick it back together as is. I finished rebuilding the back brakes and got the rest of the brake lines ran. I was going through the spare parts in the trunk and decided I really don't like these taillights so I'm going to do something else. Not sure what yet but I think it looks much better without them.

Attached Files:

16. bct

bct

i agree ....the ol' girl has grown on me over the years .....and at a few different angles witha beer or two in me she actually can be pretty. i'd post a pic but it is black with red wheels and i don't want to stir up the hen house.

i like what you are doing with your car....

17. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

Thanks! Not a thing wrong with a black car and red wheels; obviously it's been a popular way to do them. I was thinking of flat tan if I ever do put paint on it. For now it's staying Kermit-green. Also though about cutting it in half and making an RPU out of it, too. Well see; for now i just want it roadworthy.

18. Squablow

Squablow

The best build threads to read are the ones where shit actually gets done faster than bullshit gets talked. I think this one qualifies. Keep up the good work.

19. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

Thanks; I cant stand not finishing something I started. Got a buddy who jumps from one project to another with huge plans but has yet to get one on the road. He's had some great ideas and does good work but just cant stay focused long enough to actually get one completed. I've got some great deals from him on abandon projects and parts, though!

20. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

Got most of the dash back together, a little more wiring done, got the old tires cut off of four wheels and getting ready to clean up and paint, and engine gaskets came in today. Here's my grand kids as anxious for a ride as I am. My granddaughter is just like her mama; always has to be in the drivers seat!

Attached Files:

21. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Here's what my buddy did with his 49 4-door....

[​IMG]

22. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

Nice! Did he build a top for it or does he just use it for a roadster?

23. I'm in friendswood, where is it :)

24. Do you still have that 455 you had in that mailvan? That would be a cool engine for the Mopar! Something different, that is for certain!

25. I am so diggin' this! Never seen one done up like this.

26. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

27. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

28. VonKool13

VonKool13

Yup cuttin the roof off is the only way to go. I did it with my 50' Plym and loved it! My neighbor did it with his 51' and then welded a chopped 53' chebby roof on to it! Awesome car!

29. Didn't Charlie Sexton own that convertible car at one time?

Thought I had seen it in Austin...

Great car you've got there as well. Really great job your doing...

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  30. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

If youre referring to the car I posted, no he didn't. My friend built this one and has owned it ever since.