Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old Paint Gun Club. What have you got?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 64Cyclone, Oct 5, 2011.

1. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

I can't believe mine are all over 20 years old now and they refer to them as "old school" when I try to find parts for them. :rolleyes:

I was conned into a Snap On gun by a slick route guy in the 80s and stuck with them. They were actually made by Sharpe. I have 3 and a Devilbiss JGA. I sure would like to have a Binks 7 in the collection some day.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
    Unkl Ian likes this.
  2. Master of None

Master of None

I've got a couple of Binks #7's one even has a agitator cup.

Unkl Ian likes this.
  3. olddrags

olddrags
    from ky

I've still got 2 Binks 7's bought one of them new in 1971, paid $99 for the gun and cup. Had a Sharpe/Snap-on like one in the pic, It was a fantastic Acrylic enamel gun!!

4. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I'll have take some photos,still have a few from the late 50's

5. metalman

metalman

I got a half dozen or so Devilbliss JGAs, some dating back to the early 70's, laid down a lot of candy lacquer with them back then! Still have a Binks #7 too, bought it for $100 as well around 77. Didn't care for it much, didn't think it would lay the paint down as well as the JGA's, it did make a damn fine primer gun though!
    Took me a longgggg time to get use to the HVLP's. I painted a 53 Pontiac in lacquer a little while back, brought out one of the Delvilbliss to shoot it, made me smile.

6. I've got 3-4 devilbiss MBC's.....and a Binks 2001 that I bought new in the mid 80's. Awesome gun for enamel.....I wore it out. I see they are repopping the 2001 and the #7 now, made in china.....

7. 46chevy

46chevy
    from reeds,mo

I've got a Binks Model #18 that I put a 2.8 tip in and use for my metalflake. works great

8. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Still have a Devilbiss I bought used in 1968. The guy saw me coming, it never did work right no matter what I did to it.

In those days a good paint gun cost a week's pay or more.

9. 1968FED

1968FED
    from Goddard KS

Binks Model 7 my Dad got it in the mid-late 70s and painted dozens of gars with it I have it now rebuildt 2 years ago and it still lays the paint out nice.

10. BigNick1959

BigNick1959

I don't know if it counts, but I still have my first airbrush. My sister bought for me in 1973. A single action Badger, it is awaiting a full restoration!

1940Willys likes this.
  11. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

I had to have this art deco unit. I've never tried to spray with it. I just love the looks. My siphon feed goes back to the 70s. My Chinese clone HVLP goes back about 15 years now.

12. lukey

lukey

Good ol Binks #7! ive had it 14 years and the guy i got it from had it 25 years...it was used when he got it! I have rebuilt it once, still works like new

-LUKEY-

13. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

That "Sprayit" is a real gem. You need to get the little putt putt air compressor that goes with it. They made little streamlined compressors to match.

You could actually paint a car with one if you were not in a hurry.

14. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I've seen them too but they take up floor space and are usually priced out of my decorating budget range.

15. i just painted a project and bought an HVLP gun set. i did not even contemplate using my old guns the overspray was just too much. i wonder when the parts will become obsolete???

16. I have a Binks model 18 that I bought new in the early 70's. I have 6 guns now and I'm still looking at more.

17. fearnoevo

fearnoevo
    from Iowa

I traded my Binks for a Devlibiss JGA. Still have the Devilbiss, still love it.

I also have a binks airbrush set, a binks jam gun, and a paasche airbrush. All late 70's early 80' vintage, all still work perfectly.

18. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

When painting irregular shaped parts there are times when you rely on the air currents from the gun to get paint on some areas. HVLP guns can't do that like the old ones.

19. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

I lucked into a JGA that was new from an estate sale. Still no Binks #7 but I'm working on it.

Unkl Ian likes this.
  20. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

I inherited one from my Dad. I remember him using it in the 70's. It's a Craftsman, but I would guess it was made by another manufacturer. No idea who though.

[​IMG]

21. Binks 69 - got it used in early '80s through a friend who used to be a body man. Typically used it for primer only. Brought it home from my dad's garage a few weeks ago, needs to be rebuilt but with all the new technology out there, why?

22. I love this thread! I have a binks 7,and Still use it

23. The Harpoon

The Harpoon

my dad gave me his Binks 26, which was a great gun to learn painting with. He bought it new in the 60's. I destroyed it with metalflake. Now i use a sata jet and love the iwata products. harbor frieght still makes a nice $15.oo gun hvlp that is great for metalflake and primer. but my favorite gun is the Veiling gun i just got 2 years ago(after 12 years of looking). Just like Larry Watson! he was really stoked to see it and the results i got from it.

Unkl Ian likes this.
  24. im unsure of the model, but ive a develvis? spray gun. The guy i bought it from worked for the movie studios and said he bought it in the late 50s. Ive only used it once, seemed to work good, but im sure if i was a car painter it would have came out a ton better.

25. redsil

redsil

I can rebuild all old Binks, Devilbiss and Sharpe guns. Have been doing this for 54 years now. Email Don at [email protected]

26. 55chieftain

55chieftain

I have some Sharpe guns, 775 and 71pg. I'm not real sure how old they are unless someone here can help. They look like an older gun, they are complete internally and were used for a parts store display and never have had paint run thru them. I've been trying to find info on them to figure the value to sell them, the 775 (on the left) is still a good number , not so on the 71pg.

[​IMG]

27. Here are a few from my collection:

First is a Dupli-Color spray gun that uses either a glass jar or the old bottles of paint.It is powered by either the air in a spare tire or a diaphragm compressor that hooks to a spark plug hole.

Next is an Electrolux sprayer that works off the exhaust of a vacuum cleaner.I used one of these to ATTEMPT my first spray job on my friend's 50 Mercury at the age of 13.Let's just say the results were less than expected.

Next is a similarly operated gun by Royal that dates to the 1920's.

Next is a small touchup gun made by DuPont for use with a spare tire.I have several of these and they actually work pretty well.

Next is a REAL oddball:a mouth operated airbrush made in Chicago in the 1950's.I bought a box of 24 of these from e-Bay awhile back.Still can't find any info on the company.

Last is a group of mouth operated brushes for doing photo retouching.They operate like a standard siphon gun and are different sizes.

Attached Files:

echo ed likes this.
  28. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

The one in the right in your picture, the hook was apparently weak because they are often broken off.

29. D-fens

D-fens
    from Huntsville

Have a couple of Binks #7's, one complete and one basket case. Would like to rebuild them both but the local Binks dealer is kind of an idiot.

I use a high pressure HF rig at work. HVLP guns don't like CARC paint.

30. 26Troadster

26Troadster

old binks #18 and a binks #62 (if i remember right) pot gun. luv the 18.