Register now to get rid of these ads!

What would you do ? Chopped top too short, sell or rebuild?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fordtudor37, Oct 4, 2011.

1. desotot

desotot

don,t they make a pill that will help you slouch more comfortably?

2. Larry T

Larry T

I can see that, I kind of creak and groan myself. :)
    How about low mounted seats and maybe drop the foot box a little?
    Larry T

3. That is what I was kind of thinking. A dipped toe box is a good answer to that type of problem.

4. Fordtudor37

Fordtudor37

Added pictures of me behind the wheel, note red lines of sight and positioning of body. Seat is 1.0 inch off floor in rear and 2.0 off floor in front.
    I am slouching in this picture and the body is only chopped 1.5 inches total.
    Thank you to all who have helped with comments. Keep them coming !

5. Honlude

Honlude
    from York pa

Mines not comfortable to sit in with the chop and channel , but i went in knowing I was sacrificing practicality for cool . My seats are welded direct to floor . You kinda get use to it after awhile

6. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I'd spraybomb that tranny cooler flat black so it doesn't look like total ass behind the grill....

7. derbydad276

derbydad276

Iam in the same boat as you I have a very long body and short legs

I tried sitting in a stock (shay) roadster with the top up and had to bend crouch to get my head in

like others have said move along find a larger body that fits you

8. If your medical situation makes it impossible to sit with your legs straight out, you're gonna have to sell the car/body and get something you can sit up in..it's that simple. I believe someone will want to swap your nice chopped glass body for an unchopped one or like has already been suggested...get a nice comfy 40-50s car.. Believe me..someone would love to swap your chopped 32 for a comfortable 40-50s car.

9. Not sure about that, but they do make one to make you stand up straight, if you know what I mean. :rolleyes:

10. Hate to say it,but maybe a '32 isn't the car for you. I would consider a car that isn't a health issue for you,'39-'40 Coupe maybe. Or maybe a Sedan.

11. Yeah...alcohol,haha!

12. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

After all the ideas, if none of these will work for you, ( i say build a lower seat ) and you cant sell it for the amount of money you want. Then make it a covertiable and enjoy it while you can.
    There may come a day when you cant, and you are really forced to sell it or someone sells it on your behalf.
    Enjoy the time you have.
    MrC.

13. swissmike

swissmike

Looking at the seat bottom from your album I think you could easily gain 2.5" inches by switching to a different seat (e.g. Glide or the individual seats pictured earlier). If that car is what you want then it's worth pursuing, if not, sell or trade the car, but you will lose a lot of value in the process as you probably know...

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/album.php?albumid=27516&pictureid=330335

14. I have a 4" chopped model a coupe, building for long hauls, I'm 6' tall and have the driveshaft tunnel inside the car..I built my own seat platforms, used some model a 2door sedan front bucket seat backrest frames (which I modified to recline a bit more than stock) and set them on about a 15 degree tilt, Speedway seat sliders, and have consulted with an upholstery guy friend about what density and shape of foam to use to fit my back and ass. Have about 3" headroom and lots of room for me if I wanna stretch legs with the seat all the way back in either the driver seat or the passenger seat, and my short legged little wife can pull it up to fit her. Also added a tilt-tele mid-60's Olds steering column for yet another comfort adjustment.

Attached Files:

15. deadgearhead

deadgearhead
    from Washington

There's no way that chop is only 1.5 inches. Get lower seats with slides.

16. I have a 29 roadster with a glass top and I had to cut a hole in the floor and lower the seat base so it actually sits below the floor just above the frame. I wanted to get the car to look right and that's what you have to to to maintain the look. I have to lean my head forward just a little bit but that's because the roof slopes forward at the back, with a coupe and a straight roof in the back I think you can get the seat low enough to be comfy. Hell, I'm 63 and 215 lbs 5' 11".:eek:

Attached Files:

17. I just looked in your album and if you want to sit better than that you need a bigger car. It is a Hot Rod. I always thought they were supposed to be uncomfortable!!!:D

18. Quick Solution.....Trade it for a "Divco" milk truck and you can stand up to drive.

19. Special Ed

Special Ed

Resort to becoming a contortionist to "maintain the look"? This is supposed to be fun, guys! If you need to see a chiropractor after going for a cruise, it's time to reconsider your choice of vehicles...

20. johnod

johnod

Man, you must have a lot of electrics looking at the size of that fuse box cover.:)

21. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Have you considered swapping the body for a stock height sedan? It should give you maximum room and there should be lots of guys willing to swap for a coupe body and give you cash to boot.

If still not enough room suggest you buy a Chrysler product made between 1937 and 1954. President of Chrysler in those days was K T Keller who weighed 320 pounds. He would not approve a car for production unless he could sit in it comfortably. My old 51 New Yorker sedan had enough room for a team of basketball players wearing stove pipe hats.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  22. oj

oj

Take your car to a professional, they will toss out those junk assed seats and replace them with some firm support. There should be only 3/4" difference front to rear, rear being lower. Then lower the front end, it is too high and ..whalah! you'll be able to sit and look straight out the windshield.

23. VonKool13

VonKool13

Sell it, you keep making excuses why you can't fit. You clearly arn't happy with the car, send it down the road!

24. Here's some random thoughts:

Is it the arm/shoulder position that is giving you pains? If so, looks like you need to reposition the steering wheel, you look pretty stretched out.

The seat does look like like its too big.

As you sit in it now how much room between the top of your head and the roof?

Pull out the seat, get a pile of pillows, 2x4s, or whatever you can find and "build a seating position that lets you see out the window and puts your body in a comfortable driving position; leg stretch, arm resting on something. Ignore where your pedals and wheel are, try and "fit" in the interior space so you are comfortable, then adjust pedals, wheel, arm rests to fit.

Or as suggested, go find a "good" pro shop and pay for some expertise. Aren't the Rolling Bones guys back there somewhere.

If you like the car (I sure do), spend some time and maybe a little money making you and it fit together.

Good luck!

PS Trade ya for a 2007 Chev 4 door truck and a 1953 Stude project...lotsa room in the truck:)

25. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

It looks like that seat is way too big. The seat may be only 2 inches off the floor but when you add that seat cushion, it looks like your ass is a foot off the floor. Just build some seats that work and keep the car.

26. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

If you don't want to mess with the seat, you can always lower the rear end of the car and raise the front end until you can see through the windshield. I'm thinking a taildragger stance would let you see out the windshield. :D Gene

27. davidwilson

davidwilson
    from Tennessee

all comfort should be discarded for style!!!!!!!!!

28. choppwatchagot

choppwatchagot

^^^^ This is what i was going to sagest

29. nimrodracing50

nimrodracing50

Aloha,
    Hey, don't sell the car. You can get someone to raise the roof or try different seats. Your wife can ride shotgun and help you spock out the lights and traffic. Find what you believe to be a practical solution and enjoy the car. We hot rodders always have a solution. Just ask my wife, I got frustrated about stuff and wanted to unload the car. I am happy that I didn't.
    Big Al

30. Fordtudor37

Fordtudor37

First I will clarify things -

A) I was mistaken, the chop is 2.5 inches and with the present seats I have about 3 inches of headroom clearance. My issue's are seating position comfort and the lack of safe visibility when seated comfortably.

B) I'm not making excuses not to do things. Everyday I deal with the reality that some as_hole decided not to stop for a stop sign and dragged me 40 plus feet down the road before using a telephone pole to dislodge me from underneath his truck (no, he was never caught). That was 20 plus years ago and now there are things I can no longer do, that most people take for granted.
    It sucks, but I "DEAL WITH IT !"

Now in regards to the suggestions I have recieved, I appreciate them all so keep them coming. Thank you for spending your time replying to me.
    I am going to start by revising my seats, after looking at the pictures of your cars my seat bottom's are a lot taller.
    The seat pan idea is not possible due to frame structure and supports for the 4 bar.
    I am going to look into shorter coil overs which will help lower the rear end a little as well if the exhaust clearance doesn't create an issue.
    Love to find someone who has a full height body that wanted to trade !
    Never had these issues with my '46 Ford Club Coupe, '37 Tudor Humpback, '48 Chevy pickup or my '78 Chevy C10.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011