Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hunnert Car Pileup #10: The LAST Pileup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hellfish, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Hellfish

Hellfish

Just some last minutes notes

Thank you for 10 great years, and thanks in advance for everyone that's planning on coming! If the weather forecast is correct, we're going to have a GREAT weekend. Highs around 80 and sunny, lows around 50. Perfect.

We expect a record crowd with this being the 10th anniversay, the LAST Pileup, and the great weather. It's going to be crazy. Please forgive us if we can't hang out and chat for long! :D

Layout
    We have rearranged a few things at the site, so look for a NEW bigger vendor building and a much bigger swap (thanks to the Bombers)

We are working with the Fugitives Drag Club to set up a Heads Up*Meltdown Vintage Drag Series drag race display including gassers, dragsters, and even a few historical race cars. It will be hard to miss, but look for it near the new command near the show car entry gate.

Entry
    Please make sure you review the entry criteria. http://www.hunnertcarpileup.com/criteria
    The rules are strictly enforced. If your car is not let in, there WILL be a special VIP parking area so that your car doesn't have to park next to the door-dinging minivans!

Gates open at 9 and we want to get everyone out at 5 soe we can get to the official Post Show Party in Clinton.

Swag
    We will have special, limited edition 10th Anniversary posters for sale designed by Django. These are limited to 1000 copies, so get 'em while they're hot. There will also be stickers, t-shirts and sweatshirts (printed by Marcy) in limited quantities, so don't wait until 3pm to buy one!

Poster
    [​IMG]

Shirt/sweatshirts
    [​IMG]

Tunes
    The music starts at noon with the Reckless Ones, who are phenomenal. After them we have Art Adams. Art is an original 1950s rockabilly artist who recently revived his career. He's STILL good! Finally, Junior Brown is going on at 2:30. He needs no introduction. :)

[​IMG]

Friday Night
    Swing by Snappers in Clinton (15 minutes north of the Hotels). Th'Empires, 3 Bad Jacks and Hot Rod Hucksters (my and Django's band) are playing starting at 9. There will be a fried chicken buffet until 9. REALLY good food! Snappers has added a huge beer garden out front and the town has blocked off the entire town square for old car parking.

[​IMG]

Saturday night
    Come back to Clinton to see the Gravetones who played the very first Hunnert Car Pileup in 2002 at Marty & Sons Body Shop! MG & the Gas City 3 are also on the bill. Snappers will have roast pork buffet that night.

Cops
    The police and sherriffs in both Clinton and Decatur were very cool last year, but quick to respond to stupidity, especially in Clinton. Maroa is a little town between Clinton and Decatur andt hey LOVE to bust speeders. When you see the flashing yellow lights, SLOW DOWN. If you're going to drink, have a designated driver, or sober up before driving.

Tents
    We will have a large tent for eating/watching band/getting out of the sun, but we are also allowing pop-up tents this year. HOWEVER you may ONLY set up pop up tents along the Southern fence AWAY from all the show cars. Gee golly, Joe, why is that? Well, Progress City is a big open field and winds can pick up a popup tent and toss it into the next car. Besides, a lot of people try to take photos that look like they could have been taken 60 years ago. Popups RUIN that. And this is the HUNNERT CAR PILEUP not a GoodGuys show. If you want to sit under a tent and stare at your bumper all day, this is NOT the show for you. Walk around, meet people, look at cars, don't sit on your duff all day.

Camping
    Camping will be allowed at Progress City, but campers will need to follow some very simple rules.
    1. ALL RVs, motorhomes, campers, tents etc, even if you're there just for the day, MUST park in the designated area. This area will NOT be near the show car entrance thanks to some troublemakers last year. Obey the signs!
    2. NO fires. Campfires are strictly prohibited on site property. This will be enforced.
    3. Progress City has waived their usual camping fee again this year.
    4. If you want a campground with facilities, check out Friends Creek in nearby Cisco, IL or call (217) 423-7708.

Things to Do this weekend

Here are some things to do in the Decatur Area. Come to the Pileup a day early or stay a day late and see some neat stuff!

Cruisin' Eldo
    10-6-2011; 4-8pm
    Cruising has been popular on Decatur's Eldorado street since the 1950s. Now the town has a special date for it and they're using it to welcome the Hunnert Car Pileup to town! Join us! All cars are welcome. There will be several stages with bands, pin up contests, and more. It's a huge event! More details here.

Chevrolet Hall of Fame Museum
    3635 US Route 36 East
    Decatur, IL. 62521
    1-888-9-BOWTIE (217-791-5793)

Macon Speedway - since 1946!
    9 miles south of Decatur on US Highway 51

The Shack - a neat restaurant that opened in Clinton in 1920! They still serve Green River.

Haunted Houses
    'tis the season!

Clinton Haunted House - Friday & Saturday nights before hitting Snappers for the pre and post-show parties, check out one of the top 10 ranked haunted houses in Illinois! This is opening weekend!! http://www.clintonhauntedhouse.com/

Decatur not only has a Haunted House, they have a Haunted Adventure! Get scared before hitting the pre or post show parties in Clinton... or hit BOTH Haunted Houses and compare scare stories! http://www.decaturscream.com/

2. #1 Kawboy

#1 Kawboy
    from Fl

Why is it the last one ?!?!

3. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

WOW! I wish all show promoters would give such a blow by blow description of how their event will be run. Doesn't leave room for any confusion as to what to expect. Also, people can't say they weren't warned about the speed traps!!!

4. Gator

Gator

5. Hellfish

Hellfish

Thanks! We try to take care of the people that come to our events. That reminds me that I forgot to post details on how to get in! Here's a basic map to the show and to Clinton. Traffic cops will be directing traffic at the show.

http://www.hotrodhucksters.com/chad/...eupmap2011.pdf

Show cars will be sent down to Rea's Bridge Rd and up a side road into 1 of 2 parking lots to queue up until we're ready to open the gate. If you're in the lot SHUT YOUR ENGINE OFF so you don't overheat. One ENTIRE ROW will be called up at a time and directed to the gate for inspection. We have more space than we know what to do with. All spaces are good, so there's no reason to be the first one in line. If you want your club to park together, make sure you're all in the same line at the same time.

6. Marcy

Marcy

Thanks Joe, can't wait!
    Leaving out tonight.

Marcy

7. Zaq

Zaq

May be a dumb question...but i cant remember...can we leave and re-enter? So if i get a poster and shirt i dont have to carry them around all day...

8. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

Due to scheduling conflicts at work, I have not been able to attend the Pile-Up the past 3 years.

From my past experience with you folks who are responsible for organizing it, this one will top them all.

Congratulations and a pat on the back for making the past 10 years so enjoyable for all of us!

9. silent rick

silent rick

if you park outside, then yes, get your hand stamped so you can come back in. but if you leave in your car, you might have trouble getting back in with it.

10. Deadbird

Deadbird

Link's not workin'

11. voodoochili

voodoochili

WOW!.... last year to be a Red Shirt......It's gunna be a blast!!!

12. krooser

krooser

Max Gearhead and I will be vending in the swap area... got some '37 rear end parts, a 30's MOPAR front axle and other choice parts... stop and say hi...

Look for the RumbleFest banner...

13. Malarky

Malarky

Headed out to the garage now to get the car ready for the road trip. Man...the Pile Up can never be replaced :(

14. LITTLE CAR

LITTLE CAR

We all will be there!!

15. BAD PENNY

BAD PENNY
    from mass

Awesome T-shirt art work...If we can't make the show where can we buy em' ???

16. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

I am leaving Friday morning, sounds like a blast!

17. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I won't be there, but I commend you on your criteria for vehicles allowed into a traditional show. VERY well thought out.

18. Hellfish

Hellfish

ONLY at the show! If you know someone going, see if they can pick one up for you. LImit 4 per person, per trip through the line. The posters, if any left, will be available through Django Studios aka Django

19. stlrider

stlrider

Can't wait! One of my all time favorite shows! My 7th and final year. Good Luck Czars!

20. in which part of the park, will the swap meet be located?

thanks

Curt R

21. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

im excited.... gone be a blast.....rolling up in rynos untested project truck... i think he may have 20 miles on it by now....should be a hoot....

22. Kerry67

Kerry67

Sucks that I never got back to IL to attend the show. I respect the decision to end it, but man, out here in Phoenix we would kill for a show like that. A show that got too big ? Is that an oxi-moran? To me, the bigger the better. As long as everyone is cool and having a good time, all is good. But I understand all the time going into it can be a hassle. Is there a way to get an event shirt or something ?

23. slammed

slammed

By near the band stage and car show entrant gate. Check out the detailed map in the OP.

24. Stick Shift

Stick Shift
    from LENA IL

I hope everything goes well for everyone traveling to the show. I hope the weather is great for you too.

25. I hope everyone who has ever been to a Pileup, or ever wanted to, takes advantage of this last show, you will regret not experiencing it at least once or for the last time.

I've been thrashing for the last week to finish a '64 Galaxie I have had for years but never finished. It has been a tradition to finish a project last minute for this show. It will be making its maiden voyage 400 miles on Friday morning. Literally I have less than 100 miles on it since almost a full rebuild and it has never seen more than 15 miles at one time. Tomorrow I will finish putting in the glass, door panels and side trim. Nothing like last minute!! Hope for the best!

I am proud to say I have volunteered at every show I've been to, #6 to current. Thank you all for the opportunity. It is the ONLY way to really experience the show!! I hope everyone continues to support the Heads Up, it is the next chapter in the traditional hot rod scene.

I will have a few leftover Symco Shakedown shirts and stuff with me, track me down if anyone is interested in anything.

26. 4950ford

4950ford
    from cushing,ok

This is gonna be sweet, I'm on pins and needles, my brother and I are leaving oklahoma tonight to make the final pilgrimage north, wish us luck and see you guys and gals there.

27. GovernorKC

GovernorKC

what time are you guys getting into town? when does the party start at Snappers? I think we'll be in town around 4 tomorrow.

28. crimson ghost

crimson ghost

Come on Friday !!!!

29. need to sleep, can't sleep....