Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford FE guys --- Preferences on tune up parts?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MeathooK, Oct 3, 2011.

1. MeathooK

MeathooK

Im going to be tuning up a 1958 332 Interceptor FE and wanted to see what brand parts you guys have had good luck with. Spark plugs/wires, oil filters, etc.. and any other parts or tips you could tip me off to would be greatly appreciated!

2. 9310alloy

9310alloy

Echlin... from NAPA is quality stuff . Ask for the top of the line parts, copper caps , points , wires , etc...Autolite sparkplugs.

3. shocker998md

shocker998md

napa gold oil filter and change out the fuel filter as well. Just buy it all from napa honestly, it seems to be the best over the counter quality parts.

I think I have taylor wires on mine.

4. don't use champion plugs. I have had good luck with plain jane autolites.

5. mammyjammer

mammyjammer
    from Area 51

X3 and my local NAPA store carries everything I have needed for my FE. I don't even bother trying the other parts houses anymore.

6. slickhale

slickhale
    from Phoenix

the plain jane autolite plugs(45's ) cant be beat. i agree on the echlin parts and napa gold or wix filters. i like the taylor cut to fit wiresets cuz the premade fe sets tend to always have 2 super long wires that look messy even with looms. check your distrubutor for a lot of play while you're doing the tune-up. the pre 1962 block does not have a cam retainer plate, it uses a spring against the timing cover and the cam tends to beat the crap out of the distributor.

7. MeathooK

MeathooK

Thanks a lot guys. That makes it easy getting it all from the same place.

I am also having a hell of a time locating manifolds or headers that dont cost $700. I imagine any header will flow much better than the stock manifolds. Should I consider getting some made?

8. railroad

railroad

I may get educated on this, but I have not heard of a 332 Interceptor. I have heard of the 332 in two barrel engines and a 352 interceptor with a 4V with an AFB carb I think. This will not make any difference on your tune up parts, but I thought I would ask and see what I might learn.

9. shocker998md

shocker998md

If you buy used manifolds make sure you look for cracks real good. If you want to spend some money look at sandersons shorty headers, they look good and are decently priced.

10. slickhale

slickhale
    from Phoenix

if you are handy with a welder speedway has a weld your own header kit for fe's

11. The 332 Interceptor is a legit combination. I had one some years back in an OT Mustang.

I've always liked Standard Ignition (Blue Streak) products myself, NAPA should be fine too.

Bob

12. I'd go with Motorcraft SP-420 plugs. They are the old BF-42s. Autolites are now made in China. I know a couple of people who have had problems with them. NAPA filters are made by Wix and are good as others have said. A FL1-A Motorcraft filter will work well too. NAPA wires should also be fine but Pertronix makes some nice stock looking wires that work well and are probably close in price. They also make a FE set. I'd also look into putting a Pertronix unit in your distributor and get rid of the points.

If you want headers for an FE your gonna pay a few bucks. Remember this ain't no SBC...LOL

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  13. scrubba

scrubba

I had a 390 in a wrecker i used to have . I always used nothing but NAPA Echlin parts, ran fine too. scrubba

14. T_Bird Guy

T_Bird Guy

I used Standard Ignition parts on my 390 FE. I went with Denso spark plugs when I freshened the engine a few years back and have not had a problem with them. I also have Taylor wires on it.

15. Boy I am really having a problem not stirring a fire storm here. Oh hell, Fram Filters.

OK don't get your panties in a bunch. I did that just to agrivate you. :D

I agree with 9310alloy here. When you are at the parts counter ask for Blue Streak points, they still make them and they are still sold by NAPA but you usually have to ask for them.

16. T_Bird Guy

T_Bird Guy

I work at an auto part store that carries Standard Ignition parts. The Blue Streak line has been discontinued. The popular Blue Streak parts are still being produced but boxed as the Standard Ignition regular line.

17. MeathooK

MeathooK

The 332 Interceptor is a factory 4 barrel. Not sure of other changes it has over the standard 332, but it seems to be fairly rare.

I am not handy enough with a welder to make my own headers but I have seen the kits. If I bought a kit how much do you think someone will charge me for putting a set together?

18. George

George

Why would anyone drop a 58-9 332 into a Mustang instead of a 390?:confused:

19. I run Autolites in my 416" FE. I like the Motorcraft oil filters for it and I run Edelbrocks new High Zinc oil that is made by Torco.
    As for ignition I converted to a PerTronix and it starts so much easier now it's not even funny.
    I have Patriot Headers on mine (an early 70's F150)

20. MeathooK

MeathooK

I have found many headers the motor, just not the car. I am worried about clearance issues. Most of the headers for the motor are for f100's. How would I check to see if they would fit?

21. Moneymaker

Moneymaker

We can supply you with shorty headers for about $375 + shipping.

22. MeathooK

MeathooK

Do you have any pics? I would be very interested

23. mammyjammer

mammyjammer
    from Area 51

I have a 58 Fairlane and 76 F-250 4X4, both with FEs The truck has headers and there is no way truck headers will work on a 58 Passenger Car. The distance from the bottom of frame to the exhast port is much greater on the truck and the tubes would hit the top A arm, which as you know lines up almost perfectly with the exhaust ports.

I have seen a set of Hooker Super Compettion headers for a 67-68 Mustang FE installed in a 58 300 and they seemed to fit pretty good.

I too would be interested in taking a look at Moneymakers set up!

24. Hedman is the only one I kow of that makes full length headers for a 58 Fairlane. They are expensive - $950.00 coated or $700.00 raw. I don't think shorty's will fit your chassis, they will foul the crossmember and steering.
    Ford Powertrain Applications makes a mid length for that car as well

25. deadbeat

deadbeat

I totally agree with the Pertronics setup.I had one fitted years ago into my dolls 63 bird/390 & have never looked back.Old distributors wear out & upset the points setting etc.Now I just have to figure out how to cure the exhaust from blowing gaskets all the time,,,,,lol

26. Moneymaker

Moneymaker

They look similar to these.

[​IMG]

27. Agree! Stay away from Champion plugs. I used Autolites in my ERA FE sideoiler. I never had a problem with them and they lasted. Champs ran like crap.

28. sunbeam

sunbeam

All 332s in 1958 had 4 barrels it wasn't until 59 that they came with 2 barrels.

29. fryguy

fryguy

332 question. Can you run a manual trans behind an 332 out of an Edsel? Did n't know if all 332 engines had pilot bushings provisions in the back of the crank or not

-fryguy

30. ZAPPER68

ZAPPER68
    from BC

Good question...wondered that myself? I just can't imagine my old 69 428 CJ Mustang with a 332 in it...