Register now to get rid of these ads!

Driving from California to Illinois--with 2 X H.A.M.B. friendly vehicles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hemifalcon, Oct 2, 2011.

1. hemifalcon

hemifalcon

So,
    Tomorrow morning I depart on my trip out to California to begin my next and probably toughest driving adventure. You say, 'What are you talking about"?? Well, I'm flying to LA to meet up with the owner of a '65 Chevy C10 Suburban that I bought, with the 292 6-Cyl and tow package. (You guys are already laughing--go ahead....) I'll be heading up to Mariposa, where the truck is actually located, and will be staying at my friends place to put new tires on the old ranch truck and fix some other little things. After a couple days of tinkering and local test-driving here and there, it's on to the Lodi area to pick up the '41 Ford Coupe that I bought from 50Bomb on here. I'll either be trailering or tow-dollying the '41 from it's current home, all the way back to my place. I foresee this trip taking 7-10 days if I take it easy. I also plan on making a few stops along the way. I know one place for sure will be in South Dakota to possibly pick up a trunk pan for my '61 Biscayne, and possibly some sheetmetal for the '41. I still haven't totally determined the trip route coming back, but it'll be primarily along I-80 or I-90.
    If anyone has any ideas or thoughts on 'must-see' locations or places along the way--let me know. This will be a slow-going trip as the '65 Sub is low-geared and a 4-speed (I had a '66 GMC set up like this before--she'll be screaming at 55!!).
    So, Hopefully I can get some H.A.M.B. Luck here!!
    -John

Attached Files:

2. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

some people try the damndest things.
    I have sold several old farm vehicles that had been stored for long times over the years and have had adventuresome folks like you fly in and drive them home. Biggest issues are usually rust in the gas tanks that get stirred up after filling the tank and of course brake failures and sometimes overheating issues with crusty old plugged up radiators and the like. On the other hand some have no trouble and enjoy the whole thing.
    Anyway....good luck, I'm pulling for you.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  3. Original57

Original57

Sounds like a pretty cool road trip. Hope all goes well.

4. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

Road trips to pickup American iron are great. Keep us posted on your progress.

5. you da man!...wish I was doin that. ...where are located in Illinois?

6. hemifalcon

hemifalcon

Hahaha... Povertyflats... You DICK!! :) don't jinx my trip!!! I know there is the potential for issues... I got plenty of time and I've had issues before on such trips... I'd much rather pay for the experience than the transport with the going rates... It's an adventure!!! Thanks guys--- pictures will be posted along the way!!

7. rusty28a

rusty28a

Fingers crossed. You are one crazy dude!

8. Grommet

Grommet
    from South GA

I hope you have a great trip and get to take some pictures along the way.

9. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

thats cool as hell,good luck.......getter done.......:)

10. Good luck man! hopefully you won't have too many problems, but if you do maybe youll be lucky enough to have it happen near a Hamber!

11. try to find a car manual 3spd with an overdrive, if you get an older one you just need to shorten the driveshaft. it's a good truck and motor you'll make it....just slow :). Also you can sell the black plates from the burb on ebay when you get home.

12. phat rat

phat rat

Driving the Burb alone would be great. As far as getting the 41, use a trailer so you don't need to be concerned about the cars tires, bearings etc. It's going to work that 292 coming over the mountains. Good to hear you know you're going to be slow. Back in the late 60's I had a 63 Burb 292 4 spd so I know how it's going to be.

13. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

You rule. Keep us posted!

14. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

so, get a trailer - likely not make many friends on the highway trying to speed past you - hope you have a good stereo or ipod.

15. We just drove to/from Jackson Hole WY via I90 outbound and I80 returning. I80 is more bland but it's all flat simple driving.

I'm sure you've had friends suggest this already, but I'd pick up a bunch of stuff like fluids, clamps and maybe even some vacuum line... I"d buy a few gallons of water in case it over heats.

If I was driving this I'd do tires and brakes locally. I'd probably buy and install a new battery too.

16. phat rat

phat rat

I-80 can be deceiving unless you have a load, especially in Wy. Sometimes it looks flat and you find yourself needing to give it more gas or downshift.

17. The37Kid

The37Kid

Everyone should drive crosscountry just to see how grand it really is. Did LA to Connecticut in 5 days in a '56 Ford pickup with a 289 in it. Should have taken the time to stop along the way and see things a bit closer. Look forward to your photos. Have fun, drive safe.

18. Gas filters, gas hose and clamps... a must have! Also pack the duct tape, baling wire, ty-wraps and JB Weld.

Bob

19. Ole don

Ole don

Places to stop? If you are going past Lincoln, stop at the Speedway Museum.
    A way to avoid the hill east of Salt lake City is to go north and pickup I 84 back to Echo. It only a few miles out of the way, but waaaaay easier on machines and people too.

20. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tires are a good start. I'd also give the brakes a REAL good look, since you'll be towing a couple tons of hardware, more like three if using a trailer. Might actually flush the whole brake system to make sure it's got good juice in it. Change oil of course, and also the trans and diff lube. Flush cooling system, new belts and hoses if they look marginal. Make sure all your lights work.

Does a 65 still have a generator? If it does, and it has the oil cups. make sure to give it a few drops of oil.

Sounds like one hell of an adventure, good luck!! A couple years ago I found a nice O/T car, one like I'd been hunting for for about a year. It was in Sacramento. I had a few frequent flyer tickets to burn, so a buddy and I flew out, guy met us at the airport with the car, we jumped in and drove it home. Great times!

21. vettes2

vettes2
    from OKC, OK

Cool as hell and I try and do this sort of thing every chance I get. Good Luck, I am jealous! Stop at Pioneer Village in Minden Nebraska. 12 Miles South of 80 around Kearney, spend a couple of hours at least, all day is better.

22. Joey7319

Joey7319

You`ll have a blast. The last time I flew out for a truck was quite the adventure. But I made it back in one piece.

23. hemifalcon

hemifalcon

Thanks guys for all the tips... Plans definitely call for a battery, tires and brake checks before going anywhere too far... I know I've got my work cut out for me... But this trip us already expected to come with headaches, some well- placed cursing, and miles of smiles... So, thanks for all your tips.. I was on the phone with the owner last nite.. Things look good for the start of this journey!!
    I'm at O'hare right now-- here we go!!!

24. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

Will you be in Chicago?

25. hemifalcon

hemifalcon

Blades... I'm leaving from Chicago... Sitting at the airport now... Looking at the weather forecast hoping the rain out west moves quickly!!

26. JJGS

JJGS
    from Seattle

Ok now that you have us "Hooked" keep us updated on your journey!!:) Man I wish I was going!! Good Luck & have "Big Fun" :D

27. hemifalcon

hemifalcon

Hanging out in Dallas right now... Waiting for the next flight... Tonite will be spent hanging out and catching up with some old friends.. Tomorrow I'll meet up with the owner of the Suburban and that's when the trip up to Mariposa will begin... Thus should be a good time!!

28. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

Sounds like a blast! Wish I had the time to do what you're doing.

29. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

What town in NorthEast IL are you from?

30. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You'll have a great time! My wife & I drove our '37 Chevy coupe out to Wyoming a few years ago - 3600 miles round trip and zero problems. I hope the same for you

If you come back anywhere near Rapid City, SD, you should make time to see Mt. Rushmore twice - once in daylight and again after dark. I've been all over the world and I think that was one of the most inspiring sites I've ever seen.

In any event, enjoy yourself and drive safely.