Register now to get rid of these ads!

home made tools and equipment...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustombuilder, Jan 16, 2008.

1. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

I wish they had this for the autobody trade. Might save me some grief hiring guys!! When I started out there were still highly guarded secrets as to how to do it. The "old guys" wouldn't tell you nothin!! You had to watch over their shoulder while sweeping the shop or cleaning tools and hope to see how they worked thier magic. You actually had to pay attention and learn something. I've had the same kid working at the shop I'm at now for over a year, and I still have to tell him everything! AND I've been telling him how to do everything! Dumb ass kids!

To keep this rant on topic, here's a king pin jig I made when doing my brothers front end on his 52 chevy delux. It makes it easy because you can press it out. If it's stuck like this one was, a little pressure and a little heat= big pop when it finally comes out!

x[​IMG]

edit: That's Hellfire's chevy in the background. We did a blast job and a bit of metalwork on it. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=481006

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
    j-jock likes this.
  2. donut29

donut29
    from canton MI

Here is some stuff I have made

English Wheel is 4x4 1/4 tube with a 36in throat. You can see the yellow rear leg from a POS HF wheel:D. The adjuster I used is parts from a old radial arm saw. For the upper wheel I called up Joe from Hoosier patterns and had him engrave are club name into it. I also got the quick release and lower cradle from him. The lower 3X3 anvils also from Joe I picked up off Ebay cheap. I still need to build a kick wheel for it I just need to find a 10in steering wheel. Once it's all done I'm going to shoot it with some Flake and do some crazy candy panels:cool:

Curved T handle is just some 5/8 round bar welded to some scrap

Timing cover I use on my plastic mock up block to check clearance

Attached Files:

• 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      486.7 KB
      Views:
    • 006.jpg
      006.jpg
      File size:
      498.3 KB
      Views:
    • 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      484.9 KB
      Views:
    • 009.jpg
      009.jpg
      File size:
      489.9 KB
      Views:
    • 010.jpg
      010.jpg
      File size:
      488.4 KB
      Views:
    j-jock likes this.
  3. Nuvolari

Nuvolari
    from Italy

4. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

5. A big thanks to Tooljunkie for a great idea... just finished making a handle for my cherry picker. :cool:

Attached Files:

6. tooljunkie

tooljunkie
    from manitoba

thats why i posted it.i have used a couple ideas from this site myself.guess i should have posted pics of the depth guage on my hydraulic press.just a piece of tape measure and a pointer.

7. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

I need to make a pipe bender for bending bike frames. Anyone have any cheap, smart, innovative ideas? I have been looking at past posts but havent ran into any already postes yet

Thanks,
    Skrach
    www.VividlyVintage.com

8. lrapso

lrapso
    from Costa Rica

Hello I am planning into make a tube bender

I have seen two options for the follower, will like to hear opinions on what is best????
    roller or block

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  9. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Here's some drawings I made to make mine. Make sure the throat that attaches to the arm is deep enough to allow movement up and down and that unit is centred for balance when in use. A couple of rubber pads on the angle iron so I won't slide around and that it is nice and snug.

Attached Files:

10. dallas1

dallas1

My Tool cart Mods.

Attached Files:

11. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

Neat!

I might think about locating the torch a bit further away from the towel roll and aerosol can though.

Ed

12. bkap

bkap

Nice, indeed. But just because one stores a torch next to towels and aerosol cans doesn't mean its used there. :)

13. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

14. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

Since it's raining I have some time in the shop today so I threw a couple of scrap pieces together and made a handle (thanks tooljunkie) [​IMG] . Call it overkill if you want but I added a knob I had laying around on it. I've already tested it and it works real good.

15. dallas1

dallas1

Right!:)

16. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

17. That's a GREAT idea- and if you put an offset shield on the hose, you can hold on to more of the media.

18. jeroentje

jeroentje

@ lrapso.

i've build a bender myself and used a guide block and one thing you have to keep in mind is that the block needs to be elipticle (?)/ oval shaped so the pipe is bend in a counter shape so it won't deforme as much during bending. Sounds logic? ;)

A pic of what i mean.It's a baileigh.... it made a lot of sense to me...

3inchpipeCD001-1.jpg

Post a pic when its ready!!

This is mine..(still in progress (for a while)):p.

CIMG5236.jpg

I've made the guide block's before i talked to shane so its "crap" with thin walled pipe, you can see the D shape in de bend.....

Good luck!

19. tooljunkie

tooljunkie
    from manitoba

i didnt realize how handy it was til i used it a few times,especially on the hydraulic press,makes for quick easy adjustment.no fiddling with a two foot long pipe.

20. budd

budd

looks like it would be pretty easy to ad a mandrel to your machine

21. jeroentje

jeroentje

Howdy,

Yup thats what i want to build when i have time left :D (first i have to finish it)

Got a shit load of pic's and idea's but also little time......

I was suprised how "easy" it is to build a mandrel at home!
    Picture009.jpg

But there is a lot more then only a mandrel to bend thin walled pipe...

bye

22. bjinatj

bjinatj

I just thought I would throw this up because a few of you like the other variations.

The part that connects to the jack in my press is a thick walled tube with a deep notch in it. It is then slid on and crimped together with a large pair of channel locks and a handle is welded on. From what I hear that handle has been on there for 20+ years. I will say it is very handy..

Attached Files:

23. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Simple yet elegant.

24. I really like that release on that jack, I may have to do something similar.

25. tooljunkie

tooljunkie
    from manitoba

drill press fence.piece of angle iron,two slots on one flat,two 1/2" bolts up from bottom and two nuts with a washer welded to them and a rod on each nut to tighten them.i run the bolts up from bottom and snug using the bar welded to the nuts.
    quick to use,makes one axis consistent and gives a vertical surface for clamping to.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

26. tooljunkie

tooljunkie
    from manitoba

i got tired of cleaning up under drill press,them damn curly hunks of steel are a b*%#h to sweep up.
    here's my solution

[​IMG]

i just brush the swarf or cuttings into the slots or centre hole on drill press table and it catches 90% of the mess

27. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

They just disapeared!! It's magic!

28. tooljunkie

tooljunkie
    from manitoba

drill press guage.
    very handy for straightening stuff,gives a reference point to work from.
    [​IMG]

the yellow ring slides down with the pointer,marks the last point i pressed to.

29. tooljunkie

tooljunkie
    from manitoba

square reciever tube in concrete floor.i used construction adhesive to set it in the hole,a couple rods welded on the sides to help it hold.i have a ring roller and a manual tire changer that drops in.[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    not done yet.

30. tooljunkie

tooljunkie
    from manitoba

my predecessor at work,made this boom for the welding shop,the mig hangs on it and covers the entire welding area.
    [​IMG]