Register now to get rid of these ads!

Goodguys Rhinebeck moved to Massachusetts?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jay Ess, Sep 29, 2011.

1. D.R.Smith

D.R.Smith

I got a reply from the fair board about why they would not give GG a date.They stated that two dates where offered one fathers day and one in September.They also stated that they have no control over what New York State requires of promoters which in turn cost them money.Far to much red tape.They also stated they had a good relationship with GGs and will miss them,and they would welcome gg back with open arms.Looks like it all comes down to $ & cents.

2. Maybe its a good thing to get away from Rhinebeck for a year. At least 1 hotel we stayed at a couple of years ago made all the show cars move to the far end of the parking lot , next to the woods , so that the patrons for their comedy show could have the parking spaces closer to the hotel. When asked about security we were to thats Goodguys problems not our. Maybe a year with out that automatic money might wake some people up. This hotel was recommended on the show flyer. carlg

3. KIRK!

KIRK!

When was the last time ypu looked at the Gazette. You are literally the first person I have heard who does not think it's on par with Rodders Journal.

4. KIRK!

KIRK!

Well said. I'm passing that along.

5. KIRK!

KIRK!

What all of the bashers seem to be missing (by choice or by ignorance) is that the Rhinebeck show was marginal at best and has been on the decline for several years. You guys act like it was some super event that for no reason is being moved.

In case you missed it, Goodguys is a business, just like a store. If nobody shops at a store it goes out of business, even one that used to be successful in that location. That store can move to a more populated town and be successful again.

It's very easy to say that something you don't really understand the full scope of, sucks. Moving or ending an event is NEVER taken lightly. Each one is seen as a business and you don't just decide to close or move your business overnight. Yes, there will be many people who love Rhinebeck, just like there will be many people who love the Big E.

This same conversation will be had if the event has to move again. It happens with every venue every time on here. Just like the event two weeks ago in Indy. The ones whining the loudest on here said Goodguys sucks because having the event at IMS means it would no longer have the ability to host drags. Well the 100 people who watched drag racing may not have shown up, but plenty of other people did and absolutely loved the event being at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway because of it's history and especially because the facility is FAR better in every way except for the lack of the strip. Believe me we at Goodguys are drag racing fans. Marc Meadors drag races regularly and is a diehard drag fanatic. If Goodguys could do drags and have them be fiscally rewsponsible for the company, they would. I am in the office, in these conversations. The whiners are behind a keyboard making up their own fantasy stories.

By all means voice your opinion, I absolutely listen to them and pass them along. When you just say Goodguys sucks (usually because of second or third hand information) and call the magazine that me and my crew labor on a shit rag, then you're just spewing shit.

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

Somebody better get on the History of Springfield, Mass. story and promote its past relationship to the auto industry. IT STARTED THERE! J.Frank and Charles Duryea built the FISRT gas powered automobile in the USA back in September 1893. A Duryea also won the first auto race in the USA. ROLLS-ROYCE had a factory there and so did the INDIAN Motorcycle Co. The Gee Bee Airplanes were made close by. Promote the history, kids and adults need to know how great things used to be, if we have any hope of returning to the way things used to be.

7. CruZer

CruZer

I agree. The spring Dust Off is one of my favorite happenings.

8. The37Kid

The37Kid

The Spring event is a great season kick off. But the NY Tax people somewhat killed that swap too, many people quit bring stuff 20+ years ago because of it.

9. CruZer

CruZer

"On par with TRJ"?????? What are you smokin'????? The GGG is a good mag ,but COME ON !!!!

10. papalloyd

papalloyd

Well 18 dollars for spectators is a little much Good Guys is about the money not the real car people so good riddance to them maybe Rhinebeck can do another spring dust off show for the real builders and fans

11. papalloyd

papalloyd

do a show in the fall like the dust off always a good time and really more venders

12. KIRK!

KIRK!

Not me that's smokin' it. I get the comment at pretty much every event. In fact, I have had two people so far today tell me that.

TRJ is my idol. I'd never compare my work to Steve's, but other people do.

13. KIRK!

KIRK!

How do you connect $18 and car people. Are you saying car people are poor? $18 is what works to keep the ship running, not an arbitrary price to screw anyone.

I'd just love to know what people think really goes on "behind the scenes" at Goodguys. I think some of you think we're in some secret evil castle somewhere laughing evilly while trying to figure out how to screw everyone.

The reality is that we're a bunch of car guys doing something we love and trying to run it as a business at the same time. We are very aware of what people think (even when it's wrong) of us and what we do. This fact makes decisions EXTREMELY difficult, because we DO care how it affects people whether in a real way or a perceived way.

I used to have the same thoughts until I actually met Gary and got to know him. Then when I actually started working at Goodguys I was even more surprised at how wrong I was.

And, yes, I'm quite aware you will just think I've drunk some KoolAid, but outside observations will never be as correct as the reality. That said, it is definitely Goodguys responsibility to be aware of how what they do is perceived, but they only have so much influence over that, so people will continue to make up their own reality.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  14. The37Kid

The37Kid

The fee at Rhinebeck was fair IMO, good quality grounds and great cars. A concours type show with less cars costs 20-25 to get in, but I can see it's costly for Mom & Dad and a few kids.

15. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

just have it at island , atco , raceway park , epping or lebanon valley

16. Dave50

Dave50

Thats the same day as LARS I believe idk if i want to miss LARS after being there this past year for the first time, met alot of good people and made a few friends. HMMM tough choice guess will have to see what the finances are like...

17. DualQuad55

DualQuad55
    from NH

Man, so many concerns that have little to do with the venue change. $75 for the weekend to enter a car including driver, passenger, and kids. Not cheap, but fair I think. So long as the show is a good show (which Rhinebeck always was).

A shit rag of a magazine? No that would be some of the other upstart rags jumping on the latest band wagon of build styles. However, the Gazette is a FAR cry from TRJ. Not really the same type of publication other than they both have hot rods and customs.

Nor do I think Fathers Day weekend is the kiss of death. Mothers Day, perhaps. I don't think Laconia will take away from too many hot rods/custom guys. Maybe a few, but not as many as some think
    LARS? Really? I only know of a few guys from back here who go to that and also go to Rhinebeck. Again, I don't think that is gonna be a big hit. Reality maybe 15-20 people at the MOST. There is always a conflict no matter what weekend you try to do a show on from spring to fall. Nothing you can do about that.

Do I think Goodguys suck? No, if I did I wouldn't bother with the last 7 or so replies I made on this thread. I just think this decision to move to the Big E sucks (was less than thrilled when it went to June but that's another story.)

I realize that all you big show promoting organizations are businesses which want/need to make a profit. I am not ignorant of how that works, nor some of the hassles and costs of doing shows at that level.

BUT, also I think sometimes when decisions are made from hundreds if not thousands of miles away with out full working knowledge/experience of the location and local area, what seems good on paper may not be good in practice

For the organization, getting a show planned, set up, run though, then cleaned up is all they look for immediately. Sometimes you need to step back and look at it from the participants veiw.

Sure there maybe more potential spectators in the Springfield area than Rhinebeck, but if the car count drops off and/or the quality of cars drops off, what would be the attraction the following years?

On another note, do you know, or can you find out if the car count started dropping
    a) when the date was moved from Sept to June?
    b) when fuel prices started rising at a high rate,
    c) when local clubs started putting on more specialized shows such as the more traditional style shows?

Maybe a change was due, but maybe not this change.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  18. scootrz1

scootrz1
    from usa

way closer for me ,can prob go to it both days and get monies worth , will totally miss nice drive to rhinebeck thou

19. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

Interseting this is the response I received from the Duchess County Fair Board when I asked about the event not returning to their facility. Ron

Good morning,

This was a decision that was made by Good Guys management. We will certainly miss having them here. Their new venue is the Big E in MA.

Vicki

Kindest regards,

Vicki Imperati

DCF Events & Marketing

20. Jimv

Jimv

regardless of all the complaints on here & positives, what it boils down to is "if you don't like it don't go" or "if you like it ..Go".
    I went last year & Had fun but thought it was kind of pricey, so if i feel that way i'll see what happens next year.
    All this complaining isn't going to Change anything unless you complain to the right people.
    I think that when there s spot picked for a show & its been at the same place all the time & its forced to move because of "taxes" etc. that its up to the people putting it on to get the "establishment" to change it or lose it!!
    I heard that the city of Ft Laurerdale hated kids being there for spring break & hassled everyone as much as possible, then everyone decided to go to daytona , Now Ft Lauderdale is Begging to get the business back!!Fuckem, you snooze you lose, NY Problem, let the state die in its own Puss!!lol
    JimV

21. 2002p51

2002p51

This is very close to being the single most ignorant statement I've seen in all my years on the HAMB!

You sir, need to find another hobby because you obviously don't enjoy this one.

22. TubT

TubT
    from Texas

Didn't I heard about some issue with harassment from the local constabulary just outside the gates at Rhinebeck?

I doubt the "made up by Hallmark" holiday of Father's Day is going to be that big a deal.

And, when it comes to venues, nothing is cast in stone, nothing lasts forever.

Just spent most of two days at the Lone Star event.

23. KIRK!

KIRK!

There is some great input here. Thanks for those.

24. rat deuce

rat deuce

I've always gone to this event. Great setting, lots nearby. But this year I did hear some vendors complaining about the facility costs and Rhinebeck. Staff (unplanned moves,increased fees). Not sure if I will make it this year. I'm not crazy about the date or location

25. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

maybe we can get the ever trendy NSRA to have an event at rhinebeck
    probably does not help , in the spectator department ,that the new june date was a few weeks after the well established dust off/swap meet / vintage show at the same venue

26. historynw

historynw

Great just when I'm finishing my car it moves 2 1/2 hrs away. Its not going to help people who have to pickup large stuff like bumpers to move further east. Now I understand what some vendors were saying at Carlisle about GG.

27. I don't want to be Johnny Raincloud here....but don't they have Tornadoes in West Springfield, Mass? I will miss Rhinebeck as well....first overnight show I camped out with my wife and kids! All tornado activity kidding aside W. Springfield/Springfield has a ton of cool stuff to offer for the whole family! Basketball Hall of Fame, Great Adventure for the kids in Agawam, Smith & Wesson...etc. Hell, they even have a Monday evening cruise night at Marks Salvage yard that draws 1000+ cars in East Granby, CT! :) I would love to see Good Guys make it work in West Springfield, Mass....park is laid out very cool with its beautiful State buildings...Hell it's HUGE and the people population is well....staggering! Change is good, and right for business in these tough times.....Welcome to Massachusetts, GOODGUY$! I will be there to support their new location....:)

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  28. brewster55

brewster55

29. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

only in massatwoshits would they tear down a historic nascar modified track to build a roller coaster

30. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Despite my current location, I have more than my fair share of knowledge of the East Coast.

For you guys that have not yet been to the Big E fairgrounds, go. You might just like it. It will make an excellent venue for this sort of show. The location is more central to the Northeast scene too, in my humble opinion.