Register now to get rid of these ads!

another barn find..."not worth the effort"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hillbilly4008, Sep 22, 2010.

1. flatout65

flatout65
    from mid tenn

sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. koolkemp

koolkemp

Lots of pics please!!!

3. SulphuriousSam

SulphuriousSam

Well looks like perseverance and the offer of your labor has paid off WTG! I hope that it all works out for ya. :)

4. well done mate, perserverance surley does pay off sometimes. I hope the extraction from the barn goes well.

5. I hope it works out, I've subscribed to make sure I see the result. Love those barn finds. Good Luck with it.

6. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Take lots of pictures for us. :D Funny how a person can say one thing one time, then a while later change their mind. You just have to catch them on the right day and find out what their real objection it to consider selling it. I've had people who didn't want to sell something call me back later on and say "Are you still interested in buying that car?"

Good job. :)

Don

7. S.F.

S.F.

Yeah, but who keeps a car for 60 years and does nothing with it! that is really strange...

8. mbmopar

mbmopar
    from Canada

sounds good, hope you get it, and the work of clearing out the junk will be worth your time.....We've all been there, someone doesn't want to sell for whatever "stupid" reason we think....

but we all like our pics..........
    photographsoritdidnottr.jpg

9. Terrible Tom

Terrible Tom

Way to go! Take all the pictures you can before you move it and when it sees the light of day. Make very sure that you do a really good job on the cleanup and stay in touch with the guy after the sale.
    Tom

10. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

I KNOW this thread is useless without pics. It really is. When I go back I will have camera in hand, just so I can take you guys along for the ride.

11. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Be CAREFUL! Old barns have a way of falling on people and hurting them real bad.

12. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Be safe and watch for nasty critters! Especially brown recluse spiders. Good luck, have fun!

13. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

agreed; be very careful; especially if the barn is in desperate need of repair. if you find any cool old stuff that needs a home; spend me a PM. Im big into collecting and saving old stuff for my some-day farmhouse and if it'll save the "junk" from going to the dump then all the more better :)

Thanks for going out of your way to ensure this one gets saved. if it wasnt for you it probably wouldve fallen with the barn in a year or two

14. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

I told the guy if we are going to do this it HAS GOT to be before the snow comes. The barn is on the Tug Hill Plateau in upstate NY, they get there fair share of snow up there.

15. Hope the barn doesn't fall on you. LOL

16. 58 Yeoman

58 Yeoman
    from Lacon, IL

If you get it, be sure to wear at least a dust mask when working your way to the car. Mouse crap and nests can make you sick when the dust starts to fly. Hope you get it.

17. Two ways:

Offer to buy it with a WRITTEN contract that says that he gets "first right of refusal" to buy it back when you finish it for just the cost of the parts (free labor). I know a guy that has bought about twenty "un-buyable" Cadillacs that way, and he's only had to sell one back to the previous owner. Most people can't afford the thousands of dollars in parts anyway, and that's why the car is sitting there untouched. (He also LOVES Caddy's and doesn't regret selling the one back because he got to restore it and get it back on the road.)

A buddy of mine bought an "un-buyable" 70 Plymouth Superbird from the original owner after simply agreeing to take the now-80 year old guy for a ride & to lunch every spring in his restored Superbird when the car comes out of winter storage. The guy was thrilled to see the car get restored and to take a little nostalgic ride in it every now & then.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  18. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Just got off the phone with the owner. I'm hoping to have this thing freed from its prison this coming Saturday. I got some good news today as well, he said that I do not have to haul away any of the junk. Even though I told him that I am still willing to do so. Bad news: he informed me that there are absolutely no wheels on this pig, so that should ad to the fun. He also told me the hood grill and radiator are gone, but the fenders are still there. I'll be on the lookout for a replacement grill, shitty thing is I had one up until last summer. I know of a '32 Plymouth locally, but I know the guy would want a fortune for it.
    [​IMG]

The plan is to get my buddy to bring his winch equipped jeep to pull the car out of the barn. Then the easiest route would be to hire a flatbed to haul it back to my shop. I have a trailer, but its built for heavy equipment. So the deck is high and I know that the car will not slide all that easy up the ramps.

19. TimDavis

TimDavis

Actually, based on the laws of supply and demand that govern a free market economy - taking a look at prices for them would indicate that yes, everyone does want a Deuce with a flathead.

20. No....I want a deuce with a hemi....

21. Need any help? I might want some of the junk. You never know what could be buried along with the shit.

I know where there's a '34 Dodge truck grille that could be bought. Of couse, you know where I got it, but...

Come to think of it we had a '31 Dodge Eight sedan for a while. It was a rough POS but rolled on some later model wheels in the back - I don't remember the bolt pattern, 5x5 maybe, but it wasn't something that was going to be hard to find.

22. tjmercury

tjmercury

When you have a family like me, sometimes it's nice to have two extra doors, especially on long road trips. I'd go for it!

23. F&J

F&J

Wow, I am surprised the incessant wind has not blown the barn down.

Tug hill is a very surreal place. I thought I was in OZ. HUGE wind towers as far as the eye could see, scattered over rounding tree-less hills,spinning around.

That would be some dam place to be when you smoked your first joint :eek::D

24. Kerry67

Kerry67

Take CASH money....Dead Presidents, Frog Skins, etc....Money talks. It may be hard for him to turn down a stack of hundreds.

25. segajeep

segajeep

I know a local guy who has a treasure trove of goodies, his 64 vette which hasn't seen the light of day for 30 years, a field full of old iron and a barn of engines (which he has been collecting from the GM dealership he has worked at for 43 years), he doesn't sell anything and does it just to piss people off.

26. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Going in tomorrow morning, camera in hand. Wish me luck.

27. ssffnomad

ssffnomad

We Got You Back, Good Luck

28. thewishartkid

thewishartkid

WHAT HAPPENED NEXT? I need to know.

29. No follow up for a week and a shaky barn to boot ! Hope this has a safe and happy ending.

30. brewster55

brewster55

um, what? he just posted today, and tomorrow is saturday...