Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Hot Rod Magazine Pictorials

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Muttley, Sep 29, 2011.

1. Thanks for the work... I love seeing all these.

2. Muttley
    *right click - save*
    thanks
    *right click - save*
    for
    *right click - save*
    the
    *right click - save*
    pictures
    *right click - save*

3. Muttley, are you in my garage again!?!?! I just spent the week going through my 60s mags and was looking at about 95% of these you posted!

4. baker53

baker53

Excellent thread. Thanks...

5. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Very True Statement, This car was sevearl years ahead of its time, Just check out the Pre-Pete & Jakes 4 Bar Split Bones Set Up. This type of geometry derived from 50's era sprint cars and was just probably making it's way to street cars, It appears a change was coming;).

6. Ocean56

Ocean56
    from Michigan

That's what I was thinking.....:)

7. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Wait you're holding out on me. I thought I bought all those from you. Send them here. :D

8. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Oh my god this is Soooo cool!! I wanna build one one day!

9. dmikulec

dmikulec

GREAT photos :cool:... though I don't think anyone will be rushing to bring back or imitate these particular hair and clothing styles anytime soon. ;)

10. GARY?

GARY?

Muttley for president !!!

11. c57heaven

c57heaven

thanks, enjoyed the ride back in time...

12. Muttley - Excellent thread! ... Thanks for taking the time to scan all of these pics and share them with us here on the H.A.M.B. ... much appreciated!

13. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Thanks for a vivid flashback to my misspent youth. Lots of (very) familiar images here.

14. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep. And the frame was covered with engine covered stainless, pickup bed is wood. Sounds strange, but it looked so damn good.

15. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Almost forgot, THANKS MUTTLEY!

16. Heo2

Heo2

What can i say...... exept thankyou

17. Heo2

Heo2

This car was the inspiration for the original builder of my
    "tubster" in 1966

Attached Files:

18. Ned_Gob

Ned_Gob

Rock on, Mr. Muttley ! :)

19. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Thanks for an awesome thread Muttley!

20. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Thanks, some great shots and a nice tour of the 60's

21. fatkoop

fatkoop

Muttley...........thanks so much for all the work posting this! This thread should be required reading for anyone thinking about building a car today.
    If you think "Man, wait till they see what I'm doing, it's sure its NEVER been done like this!, read this thread.
    If you think you have to have flat black paint, an a flathead, and red wheels to be cool, read this thread.
    If you think "I can't build a car as nice as the magazine ones 'cuz I just work out of my one-car garage with a few tools", read this thread.
    If you think "back in the day, they were all built like this", read this thread.

If you just enjoy the huge variety of great cars that have been built by some very (and not so very) talented people over the years, read this thread.

Thanks again!! It is threads like this one that make the HAMB such a neat place to hang out.

22. inline 292

inline 292

[​IMG]

I remember this one well. Around 1970 I was driving my '40 coupe out to a gathering in Palm Springs. Going out I-10 getting close to there in the nice open road I see this beautiful bronze colored sedan gaining on me. When he gets even with me I ease into my throttle to keep up even with this great ride. Much to my surprise, he just keeps on pulling away. Without getting into a real drag race I can see this fellow just has more power than I do. My '40 also had a 394 & I'd recently ran it in street form at El Mirage timed at 128 MPH. I wasn't used to getting left behind on the interstate. It was bronze then, running a full hood & sidepanels to hide that blower. Man, what a ride!
    Thanks, Muttley

23. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Talk about a small world. I was with a large group of about 40 rods in 1970 going out the I-10 to Palm Springs and this sedan was part of the group.
    The was a run of "Vintage Tin" and "Early Times" members, and Ron's sedan was indeed with us and painted bronze at this time.
    But, I'm sure you would have remembered the dozens of other rods.
    Maybe it was just another date that you had your "sighting".
    We were on our way to visit the aerial tramway and have a picnic.
    Ron had built a large gas tank as this car consumed plenty of fuel..

[​IMG]

24. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Great thread, thanks! However, I think that they are all photo shopped as there are real paint jobs, the women don't have tats and the guys are wearing A-1 peggers and collared shirts. Looking at the cinder block backgrounds, I think a lot of those shots were taken in the parking lot behind 5959 Hollywood Blvd.

25. inline 292

inline 292

Mazooma - I remember seeing a flyer for the run I went on in Antique Automotive in Rosemead, Gene Scott's if I remember right. I was not in or really didn't know anyone of the street clubs. But as I recall, the run ended in a City park near the towns center & everyone just visited & bench raced. I can't even recall seeing the sedan there. Not knowing anyone I didn't hang around too long. I always preferred driving. It was some months later I saw the new H.R. pictorial & the bronze sedan was the centerfold. It was only then I found out what it had for power. Even more impressed me then. I saw too many 'show motors' that were not too good at making power. That baby performed as well as it looked!

26. customcory

customcory

I saw the sedan in Winston Salem, what impressed me was the inlaid wood on it. And the blown Olds motor.

27. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

My Favorite! Love the teak wood roof insert and running boards.

28. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

Thanks for all your hard work posting these Muttley!

29. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I will add my 2 cents worth, excellent thread Muttley.