Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Old Time Junk Yard Photos PIX 1920 to 1970

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jimi'shemi291, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Here's a photo of VeeDubs in a wrecking yard to counter the one about the American cars.
    [​IMG]

2. He's building a rat rod.:p

3. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Damn, Bomb! :eek: If THAT's the case, he
    obviously be doing EVERYTING right!!! :D

4. Blackmaria60

Blackmaria60

I just can't stand to look at them anymore!

5. 731132

from Sweden

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Some more pics of Swedish junkyards from the early 1970s.

6. Turdburgler

Turdburgler
    from Cleveland

Not sure if everyone on here knows of the site Artificial owl. Self proclaimed the website that documents " The most facinating man made creations".

CRAZY stuff on there. Like the ship grave yards that are so big, you cant even begin to wrap you head around it. Coolest thing is they give the good earth links to all of the sites.

I tried over and over to post the pics , but they are not showing up. So, here is a link to the "vehical graveyard" page. All the links to the different pages, from abandon nuke plants, to ship wrecks, to abandon military vehicals.

http://www.artificialowl.net/search/label/Vehicle%20Graveyard

[​IMG]

7. 731132

from Sweden

This is a thread for old pictures of junkyards, as the title says "History Old Time Junk Yard Photos PIX 1920 to 1970", but more and more pics posted now are new pictures from junkyards. There are many other threads for those to be posted in.
    I am not complaining, there have been som very nice pictures posted, I just hope we can stick to the topic?

8. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Thanks for the input, but the thread branched out after just a few months. And so, OLD cars still surviving in junkyards anyplace in the world have been included now for about two years. Thanks again.

9. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Odessa, Texas. Date unknown. Posted elsewhere by RoadKillontheWeb.:cool:

10. toddc

toddc

11. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Ah! The sad ends some of our beloved oldies endured! :( We've talked
    before on this thread about the days when burning was a pretty common
    way to reduce a car to metals only, to get the best scrap price. I love to
    see photos with people and activity, which is the exception rather than
    rule. So, here are two rather proud dudes :cool: doing in what appears to be
    a '38ish GM, though I can't determine what model.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pix first posted by RoadKillontheWeb on the "Vintage Shots" thread.

12. Thumper

Thumper

[​IMG]

Anybody got a pontoon boat ?......holy shit.....there's a Vauxhaul..! :eek:

13. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

And speaking of sad ends for oldies! :eek: Once again, retired cars used
    for river-bank erosion control, in this case near Seattle, WA. Pretty
    much SHOWS that this practice was once done EVERYWHERE in
    the U.S., doesn't it? :rolleyes: We've seen pix from Tennessee to the Great Plains!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Posted originally by HAMBer RoadKill

14. Graham M

Graham M
    from Calgary AB

^ wow thats tragic. I guess back then those cars to them were worth nothing more then some of the 70's & 80's cars we have today, but if only they knew what we know now.

Sad to see so many amazing cars would have died and disappeared for such a pointless, needless cause.

15. scotts52

scotts52

I believe that those cars lined up like that along the river banks is called rip raff? Does anybody know how one goes about getting permission to drag some out. I know where some are at that are no longer anywhere near the water line. They are up much higher than the river which has helped preserve them well.

16. You must be confused with riff-raff:D

Actually the term is riprap, and it usually consists of crushed stone typically 6"-12" in size (at least it is around here) placed lining the bank to prevent erosion.

The normal water flow rate many times isn't a problem - it is those once every so many years flood events that raise the water level and can cause serious erosion problems. Cars may be above the normal water level, but still serving a purpose. I wouldn't get my hopes up too high about getting permission to pull anything out.

At the time they were placed, the erosion control was more valuable than the obsolete cars they used to accomplish it. Most of us wouldn't care if a bunch of late 1980's or 1990's econoboxes were used for that purpose today. Time changes most everything.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  17. lord of de scoot

lord of de scoot

18. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

How would you like to be out hunting and run across this '34 5W out in the woods of north-
    western Missouri? :cool: Newer HAMBer 33Ford posted this cell-phone shot on RoyalShifter's
    ALWAYS great thread, "Sitting and Rotting . . . picture thread." If you weren't aware of that
    thread, do check it out. The pic here reminds me a lot of the '33 Chev coupe we ran early in
    this thread, languishing away in the Vermont woods.:) This coupe WAS dragged out and
    may actually see asphalt again, maybe in a couple of years. SOMEtimes, there's a happy
    story on this thread folks! :D

19. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

This photo from a Susanville, CA, junkyard was posted by RoadKillontheWeb over on the "Vintage
    Shots From Days Gone By" thread and generated a good deal of interest, due to the rarity of this '38
    Dodge humpback truck. '36s only had production of about 150, it was said. So, anybody HERE know
    what the numbers were for '38? Guys today would kill for this, but back then, I'll bet they scrapped
    it right out. The swing-away windshield puzzled me, and I'd thought it was about '36, but no. Inci-
    dentally, Susanville is on California Route 395 and lies east of Redding, in northeast California on
    the east side of the mountains, a tad west of Reno, NV.

20. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

I found this series from 1973 to be very stark but riveting
    from the standpoint of the victimized CARS, obviously:eek:,
    but also how public-policy thinking was only starting to
    be challenged in the early '70s. It doesn't hurt that the
    photographer's eye for composition was excellent.

[​IMG]

Plum Beach on Sheepshead Bay, New York, May 1973, as shot
    by Art Tress and THANKS to the U.S. National Archives and the
    FlickR community.

[​IMG]

Same month, Art recorded the scene at Breezy Point, south of Jamaica Bay,
    as the sea and sand quietly, steadily reclaimed this early '60s MoPar long roof.

[​IMG]

Old refrigerators and the shell of a high-rise at Breezy
    Point, , part of an obvious photo-study by Art Tress.
    High-rise construction was halted by the city in a major
    battle to preserve (and hopefully RECLAIM???) the
    area for public recreation. May '73.

21. 33 Fordor

33 Fordor
    from Missouri

Here's what it looked once it was removed. The guy who found it and pulled it out didn't do such a great job of moving it, he shoved it upside down into his pick up and kind of screwed up the roof. I took other pics but can't find them.
    This pic makes it look worse than it does when right side up, if that's possible.

[​IMG]

22. 33 Fordor

33 Fordor
    from Missouri

Some others at pull a part yards. All these are current pics except the 53/4 four door, but you can tell that because the Dodge truck is where it used to be.
    These are at U-pick it in Kansas City Mo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are at the U-pick it in Kansas City Kansas, still in the holding lot, haven't been put in the yard yet. Two Packards, one I think is a '39, the other is mid 50's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. 33 Fordor

33 Fordor
    from Missouri

Also in the KCKS yard next to the mid 50's Packard is a Falcon ranchero, hit hard in the front, and a '56 Chevy 4 door.

[​IMG]

24. 33 Fordor

33 Fordor
    from Missouri

And then there's this '41 Ford I posted on another thread. Its in the Pick-n-Pull in KCMO.
    These are not the norm, usually these yards are just filled with semi-late model ecnobox junk, don't know why the old tin is popping up there. Kind of sad really because everything in these yards ends up in the crusher. So if you need any of this and are local, go get it while its still there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

If the wheels are still with that 41 someone should grab them, they look like 15 inch 49-51 Merc wheels, and they go right on an early Ford 5.5 inch bolt pattern and give you 15 inch wheels. Wish that yard was near me, I would be gettin' them for sure.

Don

26. racerlall

racerlall
    from WA

privet yard

Attached Files:

27. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

<TABLE style="Z-INDEX: 11; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 384px; LEFT: 267px" id=lightbox0 border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD>
    <INPUT style="BORDER-BOTTOM: white 1px solid; POSITION: relative; BORDER-LEFT: white 1px solid; PADDING-BOTTOM: 4px; BACKGROUND-COLOR: black; PADDING-LEFT: 4px; WIDTH: 30px; PADDING-RIGHT: 4px; COLOR: white; BORDER-TOP: white 1px solid; TOP: 12px; CURSOR: pointer; FONT-WEIGHT: bold; BORDER-RIGHT: white 1px solid; PADDING-TOP: 4px; LEFT: -12px" id=lightboxbutton0 class=button value=X type=button> ​
    <TABLE style="BORDER-BOTTOM: white 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: white 1px solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: black; BORDER-TOP: white 1px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: white 1px solid" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR vAlign=center><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center" id=lightboxholder vAlign=center colSpan=2 align=middle>[​IMG]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Racerlal, that '57 probably gets all HAMBers' blood up, as it did mine! Any more pix from that yard?

28. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

Taken by 8FlatLiner6 in rural Rhode Island, back on his granddad's property.
    Though this photo was posted way back on Page 1, I'm re-posting it so that,
    hopefully, we can uncover current listings from the '57 Chrysler pic that ran
    wild! If this works, we can return to business-as-usual! LOL

29. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

Okay, appears we're back in the "open" again. But the pic of the '57 Chrysler seems to
    be insidious AND may pose a problem for people trying to post. I got THIS to post by
    using the QUICK-REPLY box, not the "Post Reply" function. Please be aware that I
    sent an email to Kevin Lee and asked if he can delete the Chrysler post to free up this
    thread again for new posts. PLEASE be patient; Ryan and all of the moderators are a
    busy bunch. I'm sure they'll remedy the situation as soon as they can get to it, folks!
    THANKS! -- Jimi

30. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

No fancy camera work here. Just a cool, straight-forward perspective shot of a bullet-nose
    Stude in North Dakota. Check out, NICE bumper, and the nose sheet metal isn't too bad either!

[​IMG]

Love the banjo wheel and the spotlight! Anybody tell the year?