Register now to get rid of these ads!

Got my car painted....not too thrilled

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sixtwo, Sep 29, 2011.

1. rcoffey

rcoffey

well it beats primer or worse

2. sixtwo

sixtwo

sad thing is, primer, to me, is less embarrassing. Albeit worse for the car.
    I'm going to talk to some people about respraying. Problem is, this is my only car and I'm a butcher so I have random days off of work...That and I'm moving cross country in a couple months and don't have funds for more paint.
    Also, on the clear....Being this was my first time doing body work, I chose flat to make any flaws less noticeable.
    And finally, if I'm keeping the cragars, I don't think I'll be going ww....just too few choices and none in the sizes I like.

3. sixtwo

sixtwo

So much going on right now, I'm in a "I just want to get rid of it" kinda state.

4. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

Well , i think i might use it as a base coat . MY $.02
    "AND THE BOWTIE ROLLS ON"

5. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

years ago i decided to paint my jeep(cj-7) ,knowing i would crash it and hadnt painted much i bought a gallon of paint...the first paint job pretty much sucked...second was better ,thrid wasnt too bad... 4th looked pretty good..but by then the body was beat up pretty bad, not much flat metal....it took that much paint to get to the point where it looked decent.... dont feel bad... it can be fixed....

6. flamed34

flamed34

I understand the feeling. It's frustrating when you have a vision, and the result doesn't achieve that vision. It's usually less about what others think, and more about your own disappointment. Been there.

All I can say is push on. The old saying...or something like it, "The person who says they never make a mistake has never done anything" comes into play. No one was an expert the first time out - at anything!

You can be frustrated and sell it. But that would be quitting. Society has made quitting acceptable...but you need to tell yourself it is not an option. Paint didn't turn out like you wanted? Scuff it, rattle can prime it. The paint is on it - it protects the metal - so you'll be able to run it indefinitely with a few primer touch ups. Save up. Buy materials. Find someone with a little more skill with a spray gun. Get it right when you can.

But don't quit. Society is full of too many quitters.

7. tudorkeith

tudorkeith

same story on my car, did the body work and had it sprayed. considering what I gave the guy to work with I'm pleased. should give you an idea of the black steelies and www's though. I'ts a little tough to see the color but it's the hot rod flatz copper pearl. hope it helps you decide

Attached Files:

• 008.jpg
      008.jpg
      File size:
      515.2 KB
      Views:
  8. Sixtwo.....check Diamond Back tires website...they have alot of sizes in whites and pinner whites

9. Don't know shit about metallic paints but I never figured out why guys wanted to flatten their metallic paint... I'd want it reflective and I never did care for whitewalls except on taildragger customs....keep the cragars and black tires with a nice satin or dull tire dressing...no shiny tires.
    I think the flat metallic and whitewalls goes hand in hand with continental kits, fake spotlights, outside sun visors and flame throwers...al little too "Ol' school rodz" for my tastes..keep it simple and tasteful. 62 chevys have their own beautiful lines... don't need many ad-ons and gimmicks that draw your eye away from those sexy lines.

10. gary terhaar

gary terhaar
    from oakdale ny

Well said and a real good way to go about it.Next time ask on this board and you will find enough people who have been where you are at and get the right answers on how to fix it yourself as well as doing it right.
    The best lessons come the hardest and most expensive.
    Just dont give up.

11. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

It isn't a disaster.It's only paint ! sand it down and repaint it. Don't be cheep,a good paint job costs money. Materials are real expensive.Favors and freebies don't always come out looking good. Sorry this happened to ya,we learn lessons in life for not to repeat a second time.

12. JJGS

JJGS
    from Seattle

Same thing happened to me years ago ...I put out good money & didnt get the "Quality" the painter promised...I never paid for another paint job...I did them all my self!! and I must say my 1st complete came out way better than that...DIY :)

13. Lastchanceranch

Lastchanceranch
    from Western Md

Everyone thought I was nutz years ago when I put thin whites 'out' on my Keystone Rogues, bolted to a 61 Ford ragtop. That was 1975, I'm still doing it! (same car)
    Scuff off the 'shine' and run it while you save your money!

14. glassguy

glassguy

well... im gonna go outon a limb here. i have a body shop, and have painted many cars. but let me tell you i have run a few thru maaco.. i know it sound wierd. but its all in the prep.. i woul block sand the whole car wet with 600, and bring it there.. most maacos have brand new booths, with a decent painter.. as long as you prep it well you will end up with a really nice clean paint job for 299$ you will have to decide on a solid non metallic color for that price, but it will end the problem at hand.. you said you went with a flat finish because of the body work, so i suggest having them shoot it slightly off white shiney.. that will hide way more than any flat finish could.. i have used them on certain projects because, i cant buy the materials as cheap as they paint, and bake the whole car for... good luck.

15. Lastchanceranch

Lastchanceranch
    from Western Md

Really fine paint is OVER-RATED!! I made that 'mistake' with one of mine! Now, it sits inside the garage, because I'm afraid that something might scratch it!
    A guy at work was bustin' on me for not 'finishing' my 61 Ford ragtop. I told him that (the way it IS), I can load it with grandkids and dogs and head to the river, then get ice cream on the way home and not worry about anything 'dropping' on the seats. That car is a 'valuable asset' in it's current configuration! If I 'restored' it, it would no longer be 'FUN'!
    I have owned it for 39 years now. I will most likely NEVER 'finish' it.

16. super plus

super plus
    BANNED

It looks like shit , re paint it

17. 31AirborneCoupe

31AirborneCoupe

Same paint. Just drive it.

[​IMG]

18. skull

skull

like others have said, shiny and pretty is over rated. l had a $$$ on my 1969 SWB chevy and spent more time worreing about scratches than driving it. now with the truck in my avitar, l have a lot more fun and who cares about little things like using it to drive all over.

keep the nice 5 spokes or old school aluminum slots and no white walls.

Later:cool:

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  19. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

I'm gonna' back you on that...
    Everybody keeps telling this kid to scratch and reshoot, and that's the obvious way out. But he said he doesn't have the CASH to just reshoot. And like you said, you can't buy the material for what they charge for a complete job. Their paint may not last as long as quality paint, but it'll last him until he can reshoot it. I've used 'em also for certain jobs, when the time, space, or cash called for it, and you're right. You can get a decent job out of them if you're willing to pull the bumpers, handles, and as much trim as you can. You may even have some clean up, and overspray to deal with, but you can have something that looks good, cheap.

20. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Lessons:
    DOn't shoot single stage pearls or metallics. Difficult for a decent painter, even then, usually don't get a great shine out of it. And you can't cut and buff it!
    Flat versions of above are even more difficult.
    If you wanted flat...use basecoat and a flat clear.
    If you want shiny, use base and clear.
    You "can" save it by light sanding, putting on a couple light coats to even it out, and then use a compatible clear over the metallic/pearl, but be carefull putting the color on. Too wet and it will mottle and blotch again!

21. sixtwo

sixtwo

this was the hot rod flatz by the way, and I had read the some what bad reviews before buying. I think it was the way it was sprayed that is my main problem. I assume Maaco won't spray your paint, only theirs.....That's a shame. I did find someone who will paint it, not for free, if I can find him a booth. This time it's someone who taught paint at the technical college and actually does spray for a living. But, we will see....I'm going to ponder it for a while...And to the guy that says "it looks like shit...." Thanks for being honest.

22. im a HUGE fan of black steelies... i think those with WW's would look badass.

23. I painted two cars metallic, first was blotchy, found that the car needs grounded when painting metallic. Second job turned out nice, so use a ground when doing metallics.

24. JimC

JimC
    from W.C.,Mo.

The caer is not so bad. It may not have the finish you wished for, but is fixable.
    The preperation is the key. Any car worth painting is worth good body workmanship. The paint is only a few mills thick and will not hide improper preparation.

I was fortunate on my 62, it came out way better than I had expected or hoped for.
    I would look it over closely if it was mine and think about blocking and re spray. Then a color sand and buff.
    A couple of wheel tire options I used over time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  25. alchemy

alchemy

Does either of you have a driveway? Doesn't anybody paint in the driveway anymore? How about a garage with an open window on one end and a fan in the doorway on the other?

26. squirrel

squirrel

I guess I lucked out, my painter friend knows what he's doing, the paint looks better than the crappy bodywork i did under it. we used acrylic enamel, it came out nice and smooth, I guess not many guys remember how.

Go visit Maaco?

27. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

exactly what I was thinking.

28. squirrel

squirrel

I still have a driveway paint job on one of my trucks. thin spots, orange peel, runs, etc. I like it.

29. First let me say I am not a painter, that said, it seems you picked one of the hardest colors to paint. Metallic colors are very hard to get to lay down just right. Like you, I did all the body and prep work myself, I had a friend of mine shoot the color and 3 coats of clear in his booth. But I picked a color ( light grey ) that would be as forgiving as possible. It may be better to compromise on the color to get a better looking finished result, but for this one I'd do what everyone else is saying, wet sand with 600 and re shoot. I like the Maaco idea to, get it ready and let the pros handle the shooting.

30. Gman0046

Gman0046

Lastchanceranch has it right. I've had great paint jobs and worried about it getting scratched or rock chips. Not worth it. There's a lot to be said about primer paint jobs or just old patina paint. You enjoy the car more.