Register now to get rid of these ads!

STUDEBAKER rack & pinion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by woodysrods, Sep 29, 2011.

1. woodysrods

woodysrods

Testimonials! I would like to hear from anyone who has installed a rack & pinion in their C/K studebaker.
    What did you use?
    How does it drive?
    What about bump steer?
    Thanks
    Brian

2. I don't have one but the guys over at the SDC (Studebaker Drivers Club) have had a few discussions. Seems to not be a popular refit as most RnP dont have enough travel for the Studebaker setup.

3. Bearcat_V8

Bearcat_V8
    from Dexter, MI

Though I haven't done this myself, I am seriously considering if for my 55 Commander coupe. Check the links below, they show several installations using Cavilier racks. The Dodge Intrepid rack is of similar design and may work also. There is also an aftermarket rack available that has a more favorable steering shaft angle, but I can't find info on it right now.
    Bump steer shouldn't be an issue with any type of center link rack. Use the stock length tie rods and set them up so they are roughly parallel to the lwr control arm at ride height. Avanti style steering arms appear to be the answer to the rack travel/turning radius issue. They are available through Stude International.
    Last there is someone here on the HAMB who has a Bullet nose with stock suspension and a Cavilier rack, but I can't find that either at the moment. I would be interested to hear what he has to say about the installation. If I find any more info I will post it.

http://studebaker-info.org/tech/psteer/randppage.html

4. 348tripower

348tripower

I have the bullet nose. The rack works great. The mounts were very easy to make. the only problem I had was missing the exhaust on the 454 under the hood.
    Don

5. hotrod428

hotrod428

I sell a weld on front stub that uses Mustang II parts, it also solves all your engine clearance problems. Check out my web site. hotrodsandbrakes.com