Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Hot Rod Magazine Pictorials

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Muttley, Sep 29, 2011.

1. edweird

edweird

this car should not look good.......but it does!

2. ONe of my top ten ever favorite hotrods......still got this mag from when ot was new..................

3. it was built by RUSS MEEKS in Portland.........you should have seen the detail

4. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Don Mabe's T...perfect stance. I almost bought this car in 1969.
    Joe DElia bought it instead. Don was in the Early Times, Joe was in our club, The Vintage Tin...

5. they are young and dont know anybetter............:D BITCHIN THREAD MUTTLEY

6. edweird

edweird

this one gives me wood! thanks for the great pics, mut.

7. 390Merc

390Merc
    from Indiana

This was re-released in model car form a few years ago. Original owners/builders Steve Tansey & Glen Yeary, were both residents in nearby Tipton County, IN. Glen Yeary brought the car to a friend of mine's shop for a complete mechanical re-do, specifically a complete chassis built form scratch so this car could actually be driven reliably and dependably if desired. Other parties handled the paint/bodywork and engine rebuild, still utilizing four 4 barrel carbs. Car still has the same Cragars and Indy car tires. I didn't have a hand in the rebuild, but I remember occasionally holding things in place so something could be welded here and there. Pretty cool just to be around such a thing 20+ years ago. I have a couple pics I took of it at a local car show after its completion in 1988 or so. I believe Glen Yeary took the car with him to South or North Carolina when he retired from his day job several years ago. I just read on here that it is currently on display in Concord, NC.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  8. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

This car is why I have a '34 sedan today. Although I never was a fan of the wood treatments, the car sat perfect and I was hooked forever.
    Ron Weeks owned this and about a year after this photo, it was painted a bronze color. This car was a monster. The blown Olds drove people nuts.
    We took about 15 cars from the "Early Times Club" in Long Beach to Eugene, Oregon in October of 1967 for a three day indoor show, this being one of them.
    I had just turned 17 and was in 12th grade in high school. My parents took me out of school to go on this trip. Great fun, great people.
    I had so many crazy stories when I got home.
    1967 was a good year for me. Just a few months earlier than the Oregon trip, my buddy and I drove his T-Bucket with an Olds with six Strombergs from Los Angeles to St. Louis...that was when I was 16.
    I got my first hot rod this year (1967), a pretty ratty Model A panel delivery with a SBC, my first street legal car.

Mutt....great job on these scans!
    You did the HAMB a huge service.
    Many of the cars are L.A. based "Early Times" cars.

9. screwball

screwball

notice how many 70s era cars didnt have any front brakes thank god we are smarter now.

10. MAZOOMA....
    is it true the car burnt to the ground?? I loved this ride,yeah even the teak wood.........mostly the blown olds

11. jammersspeed

jammersspeed
    from herman mn.

great pics in this thread ! thanks for sharing them!

12. Gaters

Gaters

Great pictures! You must have scanned away 2-3 days doing all these.

13. I watched Joe Gemsa build this T in his El Monte shop in the early 60's. Every piece on the car was from some old race car. Pieces Joe had collected over many years. The Model B ran one of Joe's own single stick heads. Sounded like an Offy.

[​IMG]

14. Muttley

Muttley

Thanks Doug, that comment made my day. Lately I've felt like I havent been contributing much.

15. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

great lookin back at what was truly cool then.........and still is........:)

16. skywolf

skywolf

Thanks for posting all these great photos Muttley. Very much appreciated !!!

Dave Puhl's Illusion.

[​IMG]

17. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Insane. Thanx Skywolf! Gary

18. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

a thousand thank you's!! great lookin cars and people from the past! no ear or lip plates, no nose rings! everybody looks fit and healthy. they sure had some good looking tires then too. somebody said "why do we chop them and take off the fenders". i don't get that ether friend. again, thank you for this muttly.

19. Muttley, this series of photographs is fantastic. All the stuff that got me interested in the first place.
    Thanks for posting them!

20. Six-Shooter

Six-Shooter
    from Ohio

Awesome thread you created Muttley! I'm adding this one to my subscribed list! Thanks!

21. Made my day! Thanks!

22. aerorocket

aerorocket
    from N.E. P.A.

X2 Thanks!!!!

23. Uh- oh- this is nuts..

Killer Muttley- many thanks..

Yeh- so many with no front brakes.. :eek:

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  24. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Awesome Mike keep em coming.

25. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I clearly remember when the feature car pages changed from the green ink to the glossy color shots. What a difference!! I had never seen candy rootbeer before. All these bring back many memories of the excitement that I felt when I got home to find the new Hotrod in the mail box. Thanks that took a little time to scan all of those.

26. Thanks Muttley, time travel is possible........what a cool bunch of pix.

27. some great pics there....appreciate you sharing them

28. I can imagine all the time it took to scan and post all those great shots. Much appreciated Muttley. Thank you! It was great to grow up in that era. I remember it like it was yesterday. I just can't remember yesterday. :confused:

29. Thanks.

Appreciate the effort you put in.