Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features I bought my 4 year old son his first Car last night ( a Henry J )

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Piston Farmer, Sep 29, 2011.

1. So here is my 4 year old son Henry James with his new 51 Henry J.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  2. metalix_421

metalix_421

perfect!!!!! start them young.

3. awesome! wish my dad got me into cars earlier. He looks happy!

4. okiewelder

okiewelder
    from central Ok

is it one with the trunk?

5. Dammmmmmm. Wish I was that lucky. Been saving since I was 14 for a car, still dont have one. wana adopt me lol

6. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

7. Kool, lucky kid, I can't even find one of those!!

8. does it run?

9. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Shit! And here I have been wracking my brain trying to think of how I can talk my wife into letting me buy a t coupe body. I'll just tell her its for our kid! Merry Christmas Emily!

10. Lucky kid. I don't think I even had a tricycle when I was 4.:eek:

11. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Lucky boy! I had my Henry J when I was in the service, got transferred, tried to sell it...no one cared in rural Alabama...it now rests at the bottom of Lake Eufaula. The Cadillac 365 V8 I had machined and ready to assemble along with the Turbo-Hydramatic and rearend went to the scrap yard for freaking $4.50 because I couldn't give them away either.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  12. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

where's the like button--that kicks ass.

13. Jack60

Jack60
    from Maryland

Way COOL, I hope Henry knows how lucky he is too have a Dad like you............................:D

14. It does not have the trunk or the glove box.

No it does not run, it does have the original motor and trans in it.

The plan so far is the 283 and powerglide i have in the garage will go in it. would like to tub the rear a bit to get some fat tires under the rear. And he says he wants it painted a dark blue color. It will actually be the wifes ride till he is old enough to turn the keys over to.

15. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Simply awesome...
    What a great gift......Good for him..(and yes you too!!)
    Cheers.....

16. iammarvin

iammarvin
    BANNED
    from Tulare, Ca

Kid's car ????? Wife's car ?????? Powerglide ??????? Henry J ???????
    Something does not compute. ( You sly dog, making a gasser and telling the family it's for them! ( insert evil laugh here) )

17. That's one lucky kid, and you'll be one lucky dad as the two of you begin this adventure together. Building cars with my dad is one of the greater joys in my life and I'm 50, unfortunatly, none of my kids got the bug!

18. Dont tell anyone but this car is not going to be a straight axle gasser :eek:

Heres the story on this. My son is named after my grandfather and the wifes grandfather. Mine being named henry, and hers james. We have been looking for a henry j for 4 years since he was born. and we finally found one close enough at a price we could work with. But ( yes there is always a but) the wife said if we bought this one now her 49 cadillac would have to go, so this will be her ride till its my boys. Our other son is named Hudson so I get to do this all over agian too! So being a little sly absouletly :D haveing an agreeable wife is what makes it all work tho

19. alwayzarat

alwayzarat

I just went by there yesterday. Saw some gators near by and that shocked me. I am a transplant to Alabama.

I've got a 4 year old too, maybe its time to buy another car? Sometimes it surprises me what a 4 year old can do!!!

20. I was about 4 when my dad traded in the '38 Pontiac coupe for a 52 Henry J. Same model - no trunk or glove compartment. We drove from Kansas City to St. Louis and back in the summer heat, Mom, Dad, my sister and me. My dad overhauled the engine in my uncle's junk yard, found a bent valve stem and broken rings, and fixed them. I was so impressed with that (and so was my mom, who knew that my dad had no previous mechanical experience). It left a big impression with me, and was a major reason I became interested in cars.

So what you do with that 4-year-old watching over your shoulder will have a lifelong impression.

21. So we got the old flathead 6 out today

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. is it wrong to buy a car for a kid you dont have yet?

Unclekeg likes this.
  23. My son laid claim on my '51 392' for his 2 year old. Nothing wrong with starting them young.

24. twochops

twochops

Here's a photoshop that I chopped a old Henry J that
    the young Henry J might fit in better.
    Enjoy-------------TwoChops

LEFT CLICK ENLARGE

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  25. raidmagic

raidmagic

That's awesome, my 8 year old has already laid claim to the Studebaker in my avatar. I think it will be neat if she follows through and actually drives it to high school

26. I've tried that......!

The most important part is have him involved and helping. Even if its a simple task to us like jacking the engine hoist, it really makes them feel good.

My friends son was watching me mill down a piece of aluminum in my Bridgeport, and he seemed very interested. So I let him try it, and he did a great job! I asked him what he thought an he replied "It sure is alot more fun doing it than watching."

He's right!

27. No, they claim them anyhow.

28. That's a great idea. I think if I have another girl, I'll name her Model A Victoria.

29. tablepad

tablepad

yeah that's cool..i wish i was that lucky too