Register now to get rid of these ads!

Got my car painted....not too thrilled

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sixtwo, Sep 29, 2011.

1. sixtwo

sixtwo

After doing all the body work myself almost 3 years ago, I finally had someone spray my car...Pretty much a disaster.
    Problem after problem and the guy had never sprayed metallic before and was old school....Paint is splotchy, with a few runs and some orange peel....Wish I woulda sprayed it myself so I could blame myself.
    However, the guy let me use his garage and house for a week and let me use materials he already had. All in all I don't guess I should complain. But I just don't think the color fits the car or maybe just my personality.
    Today was the first time i had it on the road and people seem to like it regardless
    Only thing I think might help would be some black steel wheels and white walls, but I'm on the fence about it and it's time for new rubber...
    Just thought I'd share.... Photo733.jpg

2. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

Looks pretty sweet but in my opinion it would look killer with a 2 tone scheme to seperate the roof from the rest of the car

3. Tinman

Tinman
    from Orange, CA

Sucks to hear about the quality issues, but the coppery-bronze and cragars are a nice 60's combo. Shit, some thin whites and I'd call it done.

Well, maybe a scuff and another quick coat of paint... then cruise.

4. sixtwo

sixtwo

I was considering a black stripe down the upper body line, much like the original trim would have looked.....But, what's everyones opinion on the black steels and white walls instead of the cragars?

5. It does look pretty blotchy, even in the picture. At least it is sealed, you can always scuff it and blow on another coat.

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That kind of matches one of the first paint jobs I ever did in quality. There is a big step from "helper" to Painter.

7. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

wow, the guy that shot it cant see?

, i can see the blotchyness in that picture, I wonder what it looks like in person

quick color sanding and another coat might bring it up to where its all the same ..i can see thin areas and typically pictures hide a multitude of sins

your the one who has to be satisfied

8. Twin white striped tires with the cragars and either a white or a black roof. And pull the head rests off the front buckets:D
    IMO

9. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

You can still blame yourself...

You want quality you either spend a fortune in cash and time doing it yourself or you spend an even bigger fortune getting a professional to do it for you.
    Works the same in ANY trade.
    In this case you wanted color...you got it!

Sorry, but you don't get 100% for 25% of the price...so lower your expectations or raise your dollar limit.

10. paintcan54

paintcan54

I see the thin spots, maybe a fine color sanding and a repaint might bring it to your liking. I think some silver and contrasting color pin strips and thin whites on the cragars.

11. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

I agree with the thin whites. Not too crazy about black rims though. You get what you pay for sometimes. You got a decent 20/20 car, (20 feet, or 20 MPH). Like most say, it's a good base for doing a scuff and shoot again. Personally, I like the color for the car.

12. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

It does look a little uneven and not really shiny, or was that the sheen you wanted? If the paint was applied well and the surface prepped right, at least you have a good base to shoot a good coat or two over.

Get someone who knows what they are doing, with a booth, and do it over or you will find yourself making excuses forever. Sometimes a body shop will let their painter pick up a few extra bucks and rent you their booth on an off day, like Sunday. I had my Jeep truck painted that way, cost me $ 50 for the booth and $ 200 + $100 tip for the painter. It was baked and out the door in one day. Just a suggestion.

Don

13. hillbillyhellcat

hillbillyhellcat

I repainted my daily and you could see through the paint. I listened to him and didn't use a sealer before the first coat of base as I had been taught. I'd scuff it up, shoot some sealer and try again with better results.

14. flamed34

flamed34

Scuff and shoot again. Shoot for coverage 1st with 50% overlapping coats. Once you have coverage, spray for blend - by getting the metallic to lay down equally. Pull the gun back and shoot dryer coats. Paint 90 degrees from the direction sprayed for coverage. It's harder to explain than it is for me to do, but it always works for me.

I like the color - it just needs a better paint job. Two-toning using the top fender line would be my option: contrasting color for tops of fenders, hood, trunk lid...and the copper for the side and roof.

I think the wheels you are running will work if you take the advice of pinner whites.

15. outlaw256

outlaw256

i like the color and i love the cragar wheels,id think some firestone redlines and them cragars would look great. as for the paint.scuff and re shoot.this time come off the wallet and get someone who can do it right.

16. This is just an idea, but what about using your current paint job as a base for a panel paint job. Here is an example.

Attached Files:

17. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

Well, for free..... :D

I can remember some of my "learner" paint jobs looked pretty bad....

Since I met my new friends "Cut" and "Buff", my paint jobs are much better and a lot less stressful... :D

18. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Just a thought: scuff sand it all down to a matte finish, and call it done. Or, add some scallops or panels to add visual flavor to mask the bad areas and liven up the car. Make some lemonade!

19. sixtwo

sixtwo

first off, the paint is a flat copper metallic and pearl single stage.
    The guy who painted it is a friend of my fathers and just painted his own 49 caddy and it looked really nice....hence I thought mine would be of equal quality. I did go cheap because I really just needed something on the primer....not sure how much paint is left, but I will see about a scuff and spray.
    Really surprised so many people like the cragars, would have never thought to put white walls on them. I'm just bored with those wheels, and photos of impala with black steel are scarce...

20. BAD PENNY

BAD PENNY
    from mass

I like the idea of painting the roof...maybe adobe beige or a cream color to go with the white walls. Think 57 bel air

21. roughneck424

roughneck424

Another vote to keep the Cragars

22. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

Tough Luck on the paint, especially after all that work.
    Once upon a time, Cragars were the shit....guys saved their grocery bagging money to buy them. The only people running plain black wheels were the ones that ran the car in the corner too hard somewhere and rolled a hubcap off...and couldnt find it....so they took the other 3 off to match.
    Nobody wasted money buying replacement hubcaps...they were saving for some Cragar S/S mags.
    Nice car, good luck fixing the paint.

23. toughnut

toughnut
    from Arizona

I'm not too keen on the color. A rule of thumb, the larger the car, the less color. That's a tough color to 2 tone with.
    If you're not happy with it now, you never will be. Life is too short to compromize, or drink cheap beer.

24. VonKool13

VonKool13

cragars and pinners. Two tone with the roof and body would look way cool!

25. brandon

brandon

Another vote for cragars and thin whites.....block it down with 600 or even 400 grit....block it flat and use a sanding block. Get rid of the runs and orange peel and your ready for round 2 in paint.....and no panel painting this time....lol. been there done that, learn how to fix the issue and move on:D

26. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

Don't get too hard on youself as you did the best that you could with the knowledge that you have and there's nothing wrong with that. I'm no professional painter but now my paint jobs turn out more than respectable. I will mention that I f'd up a few of MY OWN to get the knowledge technique that I have now.

So there's been alot of good advice here. It's not the end of the world but to scuff & reshoot it by someone else wouldn't be a bad idea especially if you benefit from their knowledge. Nobody is an expert, they just done it more than you have. Life is about learning and I intend on doing it till I die.

27. loco_gringo

loco_gringo

I'll echo the majority on this one. Keep the Cragars, add white walls, definitely respray the paint. I think a roof a contrasting color on the roof would look nice too. In any case, sweet car.

28. Scuff, respray, spray clear, cut & buff.

That color would look better with a good gloss to it.

29. Ob1

Ob1

Dont depend on there being enough paint to shoot your do-over. Chances are there isnt, or it would have been covered the first time. Even if there is some left, if there isnt plenty...you'll be right back where you started.

30. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Keep the cragars, get whitewalls, scuff and re-spray, and I think a cream colored roof would look great and really add "spice" to the car. Life's too short to drive a car you're unsatisfied with.. which is why I'm actually doing the same thing to my paint job soon, scuff it up, and re-spray!