Register now to get rid of these ads!

So i picked up this 49 for pickup....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by grandmaster B, Sep 28, 2011.

1. grandmaster B

grandmaster B

and thought what the hell i'll throw some money at it, cleaned up the interior, did a tune up , I bought a drop axle from sid, had the leaf spring eyes reversed grabbed some wheels and tires for it, engine is a flat six freshly rebuilt purs like a kitten. I'm sure i'll go bigger later but it runs so good i'm going to just play with it for now. I am having a hard time finding a rear main seal, i was hoping there was one made that wasn't rope, no luck so far. Also going to change the rear axle and flip it for more drop and better highway. anyway figured i would share, heres some pics!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Looks good hope you leave the dents and rust intact!

3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

certainly a cool start - hopefully someone here has an idea for the seal. original motor?

4. welcome to the F1 crowd

5. grandmaster B

grandmaster B

far as i know it's the og engine, i need to run the numbers, yea sheep stayin just like it is.

6. NEAT! Needs the old wheels back on with some dirty, fresh WWW's though.

7. 117harv

117harv

As far as i know you have to use the rope seal unless you have the crank welded and turned. I had this done to my hemi crank so i could run the later seal.

Yes, cool truck, fix what needs to be done and drive it:)

8. Our local HAMBER Brandon has one very similar. He dropped the front with one of Sids axles and has a T5 behind a flat V8. Patina finish similar to yours. Got to ride in it this weekend - runs down the road sooooo nice! Great truck!
    Keep us posted....

9. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

Great truck! I picked up a 48 this summer and have been working on it since, they are lots of fun, good luck with yours

10. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

Great truck! I picked up a 48 this summer and have been working on it since, they are lots of fun, good luck with yours

11. grandmaster B

grandmaster B

any suggestions on the rearend i can use with this stock setup for better highway? bolt right in maybe? I heard a maverick was an option.

12. 60-70's Ford truck rearends are great in these, same wheel bolt pattern and good selection of gear ratios.
    Nice truck, I like it. I see it came with a chauffuer!

13. I like your German security system. If a few more people had those "installed" behind the wheel there would be a fair few less "stolen" threads on the HAMB! :)

14. grandmaster B

grandmaster B

yea shes not one to mess with for sure lol

15. grandmaster B

grandmaster B

16. ...that truck turned out real nice, love the patina on yours,I really like the 48-50 F-1's, I have another one I'd like to get started on.... thanks for postin.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  17. grandmaster B

grandmaster B

So i put these porta walls on the front of this truck i'm not diggin them and i think the tires are to small, can anyone pint me in the right direction on a good size to run? I'm gonna do wide white radials. I't currently looks just like the last pic i posted.

18. Brother Bob

Brother Bob

Nice truck ya D' bag! Wet sand that puppy and shoot some clear on it!

19. great looking truck.

20. I've always liked F-1's, especially the '48-'50 style, hope to own one before it's over. In my opinion one of the best looking pickups of all time. Very easy to upgrade the rear end as Ford pickup 9" rears up through '72 are a pretty straightforward bolt-in. The mid-60's on up through '72 are pretty easy to find with a variety of gear ratios as many pickups had automatics by the mid-'60s. I like what you've done so far. Lowering it a bit, taking care of worn-out suspension components, and changing to a more highway-friendly gear ratio are the best things you can do to make it more fun to drive. And please add one non-traditional item--seat belts, preferably 3 point rather than lap though a lap belt is better than nothing. Something out of a van should give you sufficient length to work with the stock seat, and back up the mounting points on the floor with some small pieces of 1/4" steel plate and mount with bolts from the donor vehicle or grade 8 if you have to buy bolts.

21. mtflat

mtflat

great looking truck!

By now you've probably read that there are no numbers that would tell you if the engine is original.

57-67 F100 rear ends are a direct swap, and 68-72 swap in with a couple of simple mods to shock attachments but have wider brake shoes/drums. Both have a shorter pinion length than your stock setup. I took care of that at a local driveline shop with a longer (1 1/2") sliding yoke. Working great 12 years later. 3.50 gears are a good compromise for torque and hwy speeds.

I run 215/85R16 blackwall tires on modern rims - works for me on a daily driver.

22. TonyVan

TonyVan
    from Vancouver

I'm running BFG 215/70R15 wide whites on the front of my F1. I can't load a pic right now, but there should be an old one in my profile somewhere if you wanna see it.

23. RHOPPER

RHOPPER

Like mtflat said, a later f100 9" is bolt in. You probably have a dana 41 with 4.10 or 4.27 gears. Not real highway friendly. Taller tires will help alittle, but the gear swap is really what you need. Great truck, btw.

24. grandmaster B

grandmaster B

Thanks for all the imput guys, glad you like it, i was diggin the patina myself.

25. I plan on running 215/75 15 in the front and 235/75/15 in the back once I get some funds freed up.

26. grandmaster B

grandmaster B

Ok so i picked up a 69 f-100 rear end, the shock mounts need to be moved no problem there but the drive shaft is about 1 1/2 to short my tuck is a 4 speed with a granny gear first. The drive line unbolts at the knuckles front and rear, what are my options? take it and get it lengthened or is there another route?

27. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

go back and read post #21 again...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  28. grandmaster B

grandmaster B

I did and hes running a different trans mine doesn't have a slip yoke.

29. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

uh...I knew that...

kidcampbell71 likes this.