Register now to get rid of these ads!

Surface rust on chrome reverse wheels...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by WICKEDJOHN, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Hey guys, what is the best way to clean and or de-rust a set of chrome reverse wheels without damaging/scratching the chrome! I figure with all the new products on the market....somebody will steer me in the right direction? Thanks for your input....John

Attached Files:

2. monsterflake

monsterflake

try some CLR...

3. I have used the super fine steel wool and do it lightly.

4. Clik

Clik

You don't have rust on chrome. You have rust on the steel under the chome. Tiny pits in the chrome allow rust on the steel. My cheap save is to wipe them with Navy Jelly or some other rust remover very quickly and rinse. After that I spray with silver paint and wipe while wet. The paint will wipe off of the good chrome and stick in the pits. It makes a big difference but it's half-ass.

5. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Steel wool is actually about the worst thing you could use.

My wheels looked a lot worse than that and I just used polish and an old t-shirt.

6. squirrel

squirrel

I bet if you just wash them (using a cloth and soapy water) they'll look pretty nice, and you can get most or all the remains of the rust off with fine polishing compound. They're not bad. neat tires too!

7. A Boner

A Boner

Mag polish and a soft rag. Don't keep on using the same spot on the rag, but keep moving, using a clean spot on the rag....often.

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And be ready to polish them again on a regular basis. you will have to stay after them or the rust will show back up.

9. slammed

slammed

Soft rag-fiber cloth, Mothers, Wenol, ect. When cleaned, top with a sealant like Wizards. It holds out longer than carnauba wax.

10. Bull

Bull

Thanks for the plug. See my signature for a HAMBer discount too.

11. 1929modela

1929modela
    BANNED

000 fine steel wool and windex. Works wonders

12. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

Wenol is great, Nevr-Dull is better. I bought my last can at Walmart, but I think Eagle One carries it also.

13. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

I like SOS pads they work great

14. barryvanhook

barryvanhook
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mesa, AZ

Make that 0000 (quadruple ought) ... and the chrome is harder than the steel wool. You can get it at most any automotive paint supplier.

15. deuce354

deuce354

A traditional rust remover is Coca Cola

16. CalGasser

CalGasser

If you're not too worried about the chrome, try a piece of aluminum foil and rub it on the rust and blend it in on the chrome. I've done this before but not sure of the longevity. You may want to try a small area first.

17. whid

whid

never dull x2......whid

18. Deuces

Deuces

Ditto on the S.O.S. or Brillo pads!! And a bucket of warm water.. ;)

19. big creep

big creep

x3!! they work well!

20. noboD

noboD

Amen, and the best chrome polish I've used is the old Dupont No.7 chrome polish. It's still sold in odd places like hardware or grocery stores around here, but without the Dupont name.

21. txskinney

txskinney
    from West Texas

To remove the rust use Naval Jelly then use a good wax to keep the rust off.

22. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Oh the answer these people give. The only thing my family ever used (and this is going back to the 50s) to clean mild rust off chrome is fine steel wool and Brasso. Do not use SOS or Brillo because it will scratch (dull) the finish.

23. Tacho

Tacho

That's exactly what I would do with some 0000 fine steel wool.

24. big creep

big creep

ive never scratched my wheels using sos pads never! it works for me, and ive done my bumpers with it too. ive only used the sos pads when my wheels would get some light rust on it. fine 0000 steel wool with chrome clean will work too.

25. igby

igby

26. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Use copper scrubbing pads and Pledge. 3 for a $1 buck at the dollar store. Cleans off the rust and will not scratch the chrome.

Follow up with Flitz, Simichrome or similar chrome polish.

Car wax will keep off rust for a while but must be renewed every couple of months.

27. I've used 0000 steel wool for years, followed by a good waxing, and have never had problems. Chrome wheels, bumpers and such come out great, unless the rust is just too much.

28. shadams

shadams

I did detailing for several years and out of all the stuff I tried super fine steel wool and glass cleaner worked best on chrome wheels. Do not use steel wool on aluminum wheels though, or on mirrors....

29. Oxalic acid. Some 25 years ago I worked for a guy detailing cars. Spray the stuff on, give it a few minutes and wash off with water. You need to keep it from drying.

30. S.O.S.Pads. Worked on my Cragars >>>>.