Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Dick L
    Have this old image of a car named Heart Breaker, this is a late 40,s image I think, may be from Minnesota or Iowa, anyone see this old girl.

Attached Files:

2. racer5c

racer5c

She's a beauty Deek!!

3. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Agreed 100%. That book is amazing! Just the traveling they did in that book on the roads they had at the time is astounding!

J Shaw

4. Dick L

Dick L

More "BigMacks".

Attached Files:

5. Dick L

Dick L

Before my time. :confused:

6. Speedrome

Speedrome
    from Irving, TX

So true, the sleeping in a tent in the infield, carrying a shotgun to "protect his earnings". Making parts in a stranger's garage. What a man!

Just an amazing story!

Bart

7. baldtireman

baldtireman

Hello,Deek! Nice little project you have going there. Need a driver?:D

8. baldtireman

baldtireman

Remember that car real well. He used to come to Lernerville with the earliest of the "Outlaws" . His traveling companions were Wolfgang, Ferkel,and a youngster named Kinser. Wonder whatever happened to that boy. he showed some promise,but he needed a little seasoning!:D

9. Deek! Nice car! You might consider sharing it with the guys over on the September Banger Meet thread. I don't think they get too far afield from that discussion; but, I think they enjoy seeing what you are doing.

10. Chuck Embrey

Chuck Embrey

Riley carbs on a 110 Offy. This midget was restored by Bonneville racer Jim Travis.

[​IMG]

11. Offy 220

Offy 220

Chuck,

Thanks for posting. I recently sold an early 220 to an individual on the East Coast that will be installing the engine in the Hiram Hilligass built "Nyquist / Pfrommer" sprint car that Tommy Hinnershitz drove. Steward and Tre are overhauling the engine. Welcome and keep posting the Offys - my favorite all time racing engine. :)

Offy 220

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  12. Race Artist

Race Artist

Maybe this link has been posted already but it is worth another look in my opinion ... some great vintage IMCA footage. Really great racing!
    Joel

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]http://www.hoseheadforums.com/forum.cfm?ThreadID=57643[/FONT]

13. Chuck Embrey

Chuck Embrey

Not a problem. Injected 255 Offy.

[​IMG]

14. Dick L
    Here is Mr Mack again at the IMCA race in Owattona in 1972 and I think this car was the one used when he won the Little 500 in 78.
    This car had a 340 based Dodge motor when I saw it in 72, this was a Leffller car and the car in the post at North Star that I posted was a John Singer car.
    The Leffler had bad luck on the day I did this photo,it crashed almost thru the concrete wall coming into turn 3 some 10 laps into the race.
    Must give Howells a call to get the facts straight.

15. Opps.

Attached Files:

16. racer5c

racer5c

17. daveww1

daveww1

Super modified at EMMR.
    [​IMG]

18. daveww1

daveww1

19. daveww1

daveww1

20. daveww1

daveww1

21. daveww1

daveww1

22. PK

PK
    from Ohio

...Keep posting the Offys - my favorite all time racing engine. :)

Offy 220[/QUOTE]

Mine too!!!
    800 pages... congrats to everyone who contributes and thanks to Josh for the vision of keeping the glory days of sprint car racing alive.
    Blessings,
    PK

23. RicksPics

RicksPics
    from Dayton OH

Added Vintage race cars pics from Eldora Friday night at http://www.ricklanemotorsports<wbr>photography.com/

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--> [​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Hey Jimmy Wilson, is that you giving a one finger salute to another driver????

25. Buildy

Buildy

Reminds me of the photo of Chuck Booth and Wally Meskowski exchanging pleasantries....LOL

26. gninc

gninc

I have the six spoke assembly

Glenn Necessary
    661 714-3854

Attached Files:

27. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

I maybe wrong - wouldn,t be the first time - but I thought that the Howell car was a Meskowski. Unless Doug bought a Leffler later in the going.

28. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

That's exactly what it was.. My small tribute to Chuck Booth, to my buddy Rick Lane. :D

Check out his website, TONS of great pics both new and old!

J Shaw

29. Blacki-Suede

Blacki-Suede

It was my understanding that early (maybe later as well) Leffler cars were basically Meskowski copies. I believe Paul Leffler worked with Meskowski. Leffler cars were very successful and the later models were easily spotted with their narrow cages. The recently restored Doc Dunseth/ Weld car was probably the most famous Leffler car. Look at Meskowski's number 9 Rutherford Sprint car and you can see the simularities.

30. Blacki-Suede

Blacki-Suede

It was my understanding that early (maybe later as well) Leffler cars were basically Meskowski copies. I believe Paul Leffler worked with Meskowski. Leffler cars were very successful and the later models were easily spotted with their narrow cages. The recently restored Doc Dunseth/ Weld car was probably the most famous Leffler car. Look at Meskowski's number 9 Rutherford Sprint car and you can see the simularities. Leffler also sold cage kits and installed cages on early non caged cars. Maybe the Mack car was a Meskowski with a Leffler cage?

Blacki-Suede