Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Rust Ranch!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The_DropOut, Apr 1, 2008.

1. The_DropOut

The_DropOut

Midnight Auto Supply!!

Here are some new photos.

[​IMG]

I'm using a 1101A single barrel carb to feed my mill. Turns out that this carb is unusual and not intended for this motor (probably used on the large Ford 6 motors). The linkage is different than the 1100 carb. This ment that I could not use the factory stuff. So I opted for a cable. I dislike billet and most aftermarket throttle cables offered for cars are made w/ billet. So I chose to use a different cable, sourced from John Deere. I happen to work at a John Deere store, and this cable fit the build. I fabed up a throttle cable support which uses the coil bolt holes and one stud from the carb mount. If you're interested in how I got the pedal to work, write me, I have more photos of that.

[​IMG]

This picture hi-lights the pedal linkage under the dash. I located the cable to the far left of the fire wall to avoid a sharp bend in the cable. I could have purchased a shorter cable, but I didnt want to wait. This set up works fine, has no sharp bends and no interfearance. It also seems to clean up the engine bay. If it doesnt work out, I've ruined nothing and can try a new aproach.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  2. sygreaser

sygreaser
    from SO-CAL

rust is a dick..

3. Actually rust is more like a vagina, you don't want rust to be really big.

kiwijeff likes this.
  4. The_DropOut

The_DropOut

UPDATE:

My headers finally arrived. I had ordered these from Classic Inlines .com (Ford Six Performance) back in May of 2011. They went on back order and finally arrived at my house August 15th.

[​IMG]
    Turns out that these headers are made in Australia. I read about them in the Falcon Six Performance handbook. The authors said that these were the only headers that didnt need to be customized and gave the starter plenty of air space. They were right.

[​IMG]
    They are made of stainless, and the flanges on these things are as thick as a T-bone steak!

[​IMG]
    They went in no prob. and the leading collector has about gap 1/4"-1/2" from the passanger side shock tower.

BARNEY RUBBLE: Please note the proper sized hose clamps have been installed. hahahah

[​IMG]
    The rest of the job was a real chore. Man do I have mega respect for custom exhaust guru's now. This is no simple task. This shot shows the down tubes I fabed for my single exhaust.

Did it come out like I'd dreamed? HELL NO. Will I have to revisit this again? Most likely. But my main goal right now is to get this sucker running and driveable before the dark clouds of winter shade the sun from our view w/ rain and mist.

Also, I found out how to hook up my alternator and voltage regulator. Reworked the wiring harness. Put the radiator and core support back in. Installed a new battery and thick ass bat cables. Hooked up a tack (photos later) and discovered that I will have to reuse my old starter, because all of the starters I've purchase from many different sources (4 starters to be exact) dont fit or cause some kind of interfearance w/ the fly wheel. I'm affraid of customizing a starter only to find that the bendix teeth dont mexh or something. Any info what you Falcon / Ranchero guys are using for a starter please let me know (Part numbers would be nice).

kiwijeff likes this.
  5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Cool! those headers look great!

6. barney rubble

barney rubble

[​IMG]
    The clamps look a whole lot better now.:cool::cool::cool:

I love the looks of those headers. Thick flanges are one of the main things to get a good set of headers.

7. The_DropOut

The_DropOut

8. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

9. The_Monster

The_Monster

Ive seen those headers in person. Pics dont do them justice. Excellent hand formed craftsmanship. And SS too, I couldnt imagine trying some of those bends!

Looking tough! Almost ready to start!

10. The_DropOut

The_DropOut

They look awesome in real life, and make the rest of the motor look sorta Ho-Hum. hahaha. I'm about 1 week away from starting it up for the first time in over a year. I cant believe it has been that long. I cant wait to hear the Smithy muffler on these headers. Should be pretty cool.

11. The_DropOut

The_DropOut

Latest update: The motor is ready to for the break-in.

[​IMG] (FILE MISSING AFTER MAJOR HAMB REVAMP)

The core support, radiator and front end have all been reinstalled.

[​IMG](FILE MISSING AFTER MAJOR HAMB REVAMP)

I added a new DieHard battery, thick battery cables and did a power check to make sure everything is getting power.

Just need to add some fresh fuel to the tank.

Wish me luck.

12. MrModelT

MrModelT

Wow, Dropout.....nice work! :D Glad to see the Rancho is looking like a running and driving machine again! Can't wait to hear this thing come (back) to life!

Clayton - Mr.ModelT

13. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

FYI Diehard batteries do just that...die hard.

14. cavistyle

cavistyle
    from baltimore

wasnt this car in ol' skool rodz?

15. Bar Ditch

Bar Ditch
    from Tacoma

Just read the thread. Wow! It sure is nice to see an old falcon get a new lease on life. Nice work.LB

16. The_Monster

The_Monster

FOMOCO: Huh, maybe you just got a hold of a bum battery.:confused: Ive used them in all my cars. Ive had one in my truck for the last 12 years!! :eek: Runnin strong!

Car is looking great! cant wait to get it back on the road!

17. The_DropOut

The_DropOut

And Wallmart batteries Die Fast. hahaha

Cavistyle: I know that this car has NOT been in Old School Rods. If it was, someone should get me a copy of it. hahaha. When I bought this Ranchero, I thought I'd be unique, because I had not seen a Ranchero at a car show in ages. Then, after buying it, I saw lots of them. I wonder if this is a case of "Now that I have one I see'm everywhere" thing.

Bar Ditch: Thanks for the post. I cant wait to start driving it, so that others can see it on the road.

18. The_DropOut

The_DropOut

GOOD NEWS!! We did the motor break in yesterday afternoon. All is well! The motor came to life with very little effort. Timming was a bit off, and carb was a bit lean, but we took care of that w/ ease. Oddly (or not, I'm not sure) a few drips of oil pushed out from the dip stick. Also I had a few drips of oil from my oil pressure fitting. But other than thoes issues, the 1/2 hour break in went very well.

I'm stoked and made this video today, just to share the sights and sounds of my new motor.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WTzJyCNXgKc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It's not ready to put on a smoke show for the neighbors yet, still have to put on 500 easy miles, and do an oil change or two. But I'm closer than ever to getting this rad Ranch on the road.

Hang Loose!

PS, the music on my video is by The Mercury 4. This is a bitchen modern surf guitar band, I first saw at the First Annual Billet Proof in Washington. Their a great band and you should check out their work.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  19. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Cool man! But your vid is a no show...

20. kram

kram

Congratulations, and nice video!

21. rod rialto

rod rialto
    from rialto, ca

Cool ass little car...with OD, you should bust 30mpg easy.

22. The_DropOut

The_DropOut

Hey buddy! Try it again. I was having a hard time getting the link to work. It's working for me now.

Thanks for the good words.

I'm very curious what the MPG will be. No matter what the figure turns out to be, it's all about Smiles per Miles...no doubt.

----------

My temp gauge has stopped working. I want to get this functional before I get it out on the road. I dont want to overheat. This motor is tight and overheating would boil the eggs (cam lobes). It could be the old temp gauge gave up the ghost or I bumped something. If I cant get the thing to work I'll install a Tri-gauge cluster to insure good readings. Fuel gauge still works!! hahaha

23. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Too cool! It sounds great! Shouldn't be too long now that it has cooled down around here a bit that I will be hearing some sweet sounds from the wagon as well. Enjoy!

24. The_Monster

The_Monster

rad video! skillzz dat killzzz!

25. The_DropOut

The_DropOut

Well I was able to get the Ranch out of the carport and around the block. It runs a drives great. It's been just over a year since I've sat in the Cap'ms chair. Good feeling...sorta odd too. There are lots of new noises coming from everywhere that have me on the edge of my seat. It's like driving a new USED car. I'm not in touch w/ it yet. Things that ring familure are the harsh ride and the fear of beaching out on speed bumps or driveways. It doesnt look that low in the photos, but theres about 2 inches of travel before the cut down bump stops hit frame.

There is much driving to be done and I've got some roads to hit. Just need to hook up the vac-op wipers and away we go.

I'll try to get some simple video of driving w/ the new motor and share it with any who are interested via YouTube. I'll post it here when its ready.

Cheers.

26. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

has a great tone....what are you running for a muffler?

27. The_DropOut

The_DropOut

A single Smithy. I love the note too. :)

28. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Good to hear that your out rolling around in it again! I know what you mean with the unfamiliar noises and such... Just drive it 'till you know it's quirks - then tear it back down and do it again!

29. elwood blues

elwood blues

I got a nasty 60 Ranchero that I started working on about a week ago. Anytime I dont feel like getting out to the shop I pull up your build man it gets me off my butt and building.

30. The_DropOut

The_DropOut

Good for you Elwood. Glad this thread is providing some motivation. "Kill the TV and Save a car!" Right?! Think "I dont want to RESTORE my car...I want to PRESERVE my car. I dont want a PERFECT car...I want a CUSTOM car." Thats what I do and it changes the perspective. Works for me anyway.

Currently I'm thinking about rain, and that my wipers dont work. So I am trying to come up with a clever way to electrify my wipers so that I never have to worry about wiper failure while climbing a steep mountain pass, at night, with no gaurd rails and a sheer cliff edge just inches from the passangers door. hahahah

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011