Register now to get rid of these ads!

Print's not dead... at Autobooks in Burbank!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Sep 15, 2011.

1. autobilly

autobilly

Thanks for the tip, when I get to "outside of El Lay" one fine day, I'm there!

2. Ed Zackley

Ed Zackley
    from Hokeyhomey

I bet it's a great book store, but that website is not very good and needs an update or redesign. It is very unwieldy, all the books are listed on a single page, If I click on a book (assuming I had the patience to wait for the list page to load) there is no picture just a red "X". The books need to be organized by category.... Please fix the website so you can sell more books and make more money!

Ryan does website design, doesn't he?

3. elmitcheristo

elmitcheristo

I just left there. It is by far the best book store that I have ever been in. All of the HAMB friendly stuff is right up front. And, it's right off of I5.

4. AJofHollywood

AJofHollywood

I was just there too for the latest Rolls & Pleats (not in yet by the way). They have ALL the hot rod mags, and many back issues.
    I remember having a chat with Alex Xydias & Pete Champouris there when the So-Cal book came out a few years ago. I found out Alex & I graduated from the same high school, although there were 50 years between.

5. Beach Bum

Beach Bum

I grew up in Studio City right next to Burbank. I rode my 10-speed over to Autobooks before I could drive to pickup Autosport or Motorsport and look at the great books and other mags. Old Harry chased me out a couple of times when he was in a bad mood and didn't want to put up with a snot nosed kid pawing the merchandise. The first book I bought there I still have. When Harry got to where he couldn't run the place anymore it was sold to a guy named David Moe. David was a nice guy and let me sell some of my photos through the shop. David moved the store west on Burbank to a larger building and started having special events. I met the likes of Alex Tremulus, Mark Dees and Dean Batchelor there. Autobooks started me collecting car books. I moved out of the Valley in 1985 and only went occasionally when I was in the area. The store was sold several times over the years but always to enthusiasts.

The store just recently moved back to the original location where Harry had it years ago. The people who have it now are dyed-in-the-wool car people of the highest order. The place is in good hands.

Kurt O.

6. fordsoup

fordsoup
    from Altadena

The store just recently moved back to the original location where Harry had it years ago. The people who have it now are dyed-in-the-wool car people of the highest order. The place is in good hands.

Kurt O.[/QUOTE]

My dad was telling me it's back to the original location he used to go to as a kid.

7. toddjw73

toddjw73
    from Tracy, CA

COOL! I just joined up

8. C300

C300
    from Wa.

The first time i was there my family had to drag me out. Was easy cause i was a couple hundred lighter...

9. Tim Jones

Tim Jones

As a designer I'm glad to see so much support for the printed page. Theres nothing like pouring over that brand new pub. Wish I was closer to these guys, I'd defiantly drop a hundo or two.

10. Steve Hedke

Steve Hedke

Used to work there. I helped Harry Morrow clean out the rest of his F500 parts, including a stack of new skinny tires still wrapped. I used to hold the British bike magazines for Leno when he was still working the comedy clubs. The store has moved 4 times. Today it's back in its original location.

11. I grew up in Burbank (lived there 1963-1977).

I can NOT believe this store is STILL there!!! WOW!

And of course, when I lived there.. I never went in! lol

Now that I am North (567 miles), I want to go!

Glad to see "print is not dead!"

12. Mad Mark

Mad Mark

Looks like Jay behind the Harley & sidehack here. I wish Mazooma1 didn't post the link though. Now i'm never gonna get anything done today.

[​IMG]

13. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

I had vaguely heard of this place. Thanks all for the back story. Will check that out next trip.

14. big creep

big creep

funny i see him drive right pass my garage all the time. on his way back from just out driving around on san fernando road, his turn around point is on our street, well that what im guessing cause i see him do it all the time. i should set up a video camera, then you could see the stuff he drives around blowing smoke everywhere!!!! i think he has a turbine motorcycle? that thing screams! Ive seen him on that thing a few times.

15. VonWegener

VonWegener

Some time ago I drove down Magnolia and saw that the corner store was gone. Glad they were able to open shop somewhere else.
    That damn yuppie bakery sucked up all the parking at that location.

16. big creep

big creep

hey hey watch what you say about porto bakery, that place kicks ass!!! sooo fucken good! its a cuban bakery with bomb ass food! been going to tho one in glendale since i was a kid! next time you are in town get a Medianoche! you'll love it! they are far from yuppie my friend.

17. speedfreek155

speedfreek155

I always find myself wandering in the book section of those "we sell everything at a discount" stores when I am with my S.O. , and have found a couple of cool car books in the process . All the book stores in my area have closed up shop , it really stinks .

18. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

I stop there every time I'm in Calif. If you go on a Sat morning you can get a donut at the cruise in

19. Last time I visited So Cal I thought they were gone. I was told they were out of business but found the new location. I can not visit Burbank and not go to the place. That and it's near a good friend's house. The other 'must visit' place in the neighborhood, and you must... is "Monte Carlo Deli & Pinocchio's Restaurant" right there on Magnolia.
    (be prepared to wait in line tho)

Youz guys from the nort east would really appreciates it, yo!

20. big creep

big creep

both those places will put you in a food coma!!!!