Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Historic Stock Car Photos

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by indybigjohn, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

I didn't know that AJ Foyt ever drove a '63 Plymouth in competition but that's whose name is on the door.

<TABLE id=ph_style8 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 summary="A J Foyt-1" sizcache="6" sizset="0"><TBODY sizcache="6" sizset="0"><TR id=ph8mid sizcache="6" sizset="1"><TD sizcache="6" sizset="1">[​IMG]

</TD></TR><TR sizcache="6" sizset="2"><TH id=ph8bot sizcache="6" sizset="2">[​IMG]</TH></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <!-- edit menu -->

2. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Dan, I saw that posted on the Fairgrounds Motor Speedway Facebook page yesterday. And yes, I remember the car.

3. allstarracing

allstarracing

I said it was the September issue but it is the December issue. I changed the other post. sorry for the comfusion. Allstarracing

4. Racewriter

Racewriter

Yep. From Plymouths in '68 all the way through a not very successful run in an AMC Concord in '79 or so.

5. k9racer

k9racer

When I saw that front bumper I knew it was a Ky. car.. I was wondering how you were able to find a Merc front bumper for the restoration.. The little Ford looked nice..

6. Slim Louis

Slim Louis

AJ drove a Norm Nelson 63 in USAC several times in Milwaukee that summer.

7. denracer

denracer

Bob James in his Southeast Chevrolet at a MARC event at Sandusky Speedway.
    He won the event.

8. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

McClusky car - dirt track setup
    <TR><TH></TH></TR> <TR id=ph8mid><TD>
    <SCRIPT type=text/javascript>var photonotes = new Object();</SCRIPT>
    [​IMG]

</TD></TR>

9. allstarracing

allstarracing

I had the bumper for years. Also Pete Shuffitt has bought a 54 Mercury and is planning a tribute car of my Pink Panther no. 97 car from the seventies. When it is done we will post pictures. The car first had a Boss 302 in it then the Windsor. He is going to use a Cleavor which will look like the Boss. He is looking for a 57-59 Mercury or ford 9 inch for it. If he gets a ford he will have it drilled for the 5 on 5 pattern. I ran the Merc rear and converted the front to 56 Merc hubs. The car was the first frame off build in this area. I built the frame and roll cage then cut the body at the rocker panels and lowered it four inches and put an all sheetmetal interior in it. This is the same car Homer French won the Midwest figure eight championship at the Sportsdrome Ind track. He had primered it and put no. 75 on it. Allstarracing.

10. Troy H.

Troy H.
    from Canada

If I remember correct, that back window hints that the car pictured had a previous life on pavement...

11. Tricknology

Tricknology
    from DETROIT

FROM 1964

<!--cached-Thu, 22 Sep 2011 21:23:28 +0000-->[​IMG]
    FROM 1964

12. Tricknology

Tricknology
    from DETROIT

13. allstarracing

allstarracing

U.S.A.C. ran both asphalt and dirt in the stock cars as well as the openwheel cars. Back then there were no special built dirt cars. They changed springs, shocks and tires. Most just put a mud screen in front of the radiators and some screen on the hood in front of the windshield. I don't remember anyone taking out the back window. As most teams including some of the better financed teams only had one car. They would use them on the high banks and short tracks and would do as little as possible to change them for dirt or the road courses. It wasn't till later that the requirement for the opposite side gas fill for some of the road courses came into being. U.S.A.C. ran a lot of different road courses than N.A.S.C.A.R. and more of them. Even when N.A.S.C.A.R. quit running dirt U.S.A.C still did and they were great shows. As a side note if you want to see some great real dirt stockcar racing go see the A.R.C.A. cars at Duquoin and Springfield Illinois. It is a blast to see full bodied stockcars running the mile dirt.Allstarracing

14. BHfanGB

BHfanGB

Sure looks like a Superbird rear window to me!

15. Was loaned a disc of the old Racing Wheels newspaper, from the Pacific northwest, and this page from 1964 is pretty cool. Two reports from the Pacific Coast Late Model Stock Car series, sanctioned by NASCAR. Ron Hornaday, Sr., Bill Amick, Kuzie Kuzmanich and others.

16. Troy H.

Troy H.
    from Canada

Winner, winner, chicken dinner!!!

17. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

18. BHfanGB

BHfanGB

19. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

OK.........this should fit...

Picture of Petty Plymouth, fins & all, at Darlington in 1960.

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 500px"><TBODY><TR><TD><CENTER><TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE id=ph_style8 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 summary=pettydarlington60><TBODY><TR><TH></TH></TR><TR id=ph8mid><TD><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>var photonotes = new Object();</SCRIPT>
    [​IMG]

</TD></TR><TR><TH id=ph8bot>[​IMG]</TH></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></CENTER></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <!-- edit menu -->

20. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

Same car............different track
    <TR><TH>[​IMG]</TH></TR> <TR id=ph8mid><TD>
    [​IMG]

</TD></TR>

21. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

Buck Baker on his way to winning the 1964 Darlington 500.
    <TR><TH>[​IMG]</TH></TR> <TR id=ph8mid><TD>
    [​IMG]

</TD></TR>

22. 35ratbstr

35ratbstr
    from Colorado

Does anyone have anymore pictures or research on the Junior Johnson "Banana car" 1965 Galaxy?

23. 35ratbstr

35ratbstr
    from Colorado

The car im refering to is on page 10, #182 of this thread

24. k9racer

k9racer

the banana car was sold to Warner Robins Ga resident J W Brown it was reskined and Charlie Burnett drove it.

25. C5HM

C5HM
    from TX

Here are some shots of Junior's "Yellow Banana" from the one race it ran at Atlanta 1966. Big Bill France looked the other way when the radically reconfigured car rolled through tech because he was desperate to get a name driver in a non-Chryco product to show up for a race during the Fomoco "Cammer" boycott that season. Smokey's infamous 15/16ths Chevelle got to run at Atlanta for the same reason.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The picture on page 10 of this thread is an image of the beautiful replica race car that was built of the Banana several years back. It currently belongs to Vic Edelbrock on the left coast. Edelbrock vintage races the car when occasion permits with the "drum brake" stock car group that has been formed for the old Grand National cars. It is a hoot to see the old war horses (both real and replica) put through their paces on a modern road course.
    http://historicgrandnational.com/

26. ModelCarMan

ModelCarMan

27. C5HM

C5HM
    from TX

That's the newly re-created Edelbrock "homage" I mentioned (and originally pictured on page #10). It is very nicely done and fast, too. The guys in that group have a lot of fun. I just wish that the sanctioning folks out west would let them run more often. At present that group is only being permitted to run every other year at Sears Point and Monterey. That's too bad. I'd much rather see a gaggle of thundering Grand National stock cars running the corkscrew than a buzzing pack of little bitty tiddler cars, for sure. There's nothing quite like seeing stock cars in close quarters action on a road course.

[​IMG]

28. genuine jack

genuine jack

here are a few more pix of the "fruity" galaxie . when fred was asked what he thought of the car , he said "i think it looks pretty " . 'course there was that big bump in his cheek from his tongue pressing so hard . :D
    when cotton owens' dodge failed tech for being 1/4 inch too low , and after seeing fred's car breeze thru tech , cotton loaded up and went home . seems the mopar guys didn't like it when a blue moon shown over big bill's head and a totally illegal henry was allowed to run ! :eek:..:p..:)..:D)
    jack

View attachment 1451737

View attachment 1451738

View attachment 1451739

View attachment 1451740

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  29. C5HM

C5HM
    from TX

Howdy Jack! That H&M thread pretty much petered out, didn't it? Too bad. Seems like it turned into mostly a drag race discussion. Not my cup of tea. And my new best buddy over there didn't contribute all that much after expressing his druthers about what he'd deign to read. That didn't move the thread along either. As for me, I'd much rather read about old stock cars! How about you? Let's post some H&M stock car shots over here. What do you say Jack?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  30. genuine jack

genuine jack

hey john -
    imagine meeting you here :) !
    i haven't given up on the HM thread yet . but you're right , as it seems like a lot of other folks have . not many contribute , and few seem to be interested in what is posted , so it's a shame that such an interesting subject might just die on the vine .
    i like drag racing , also . actually , i like any form of motorsports where fords are/were competing - which is just about everywhere . i recently finished going thru all 263 pages of this thread , and our friend indybigjohn has done a great job of keeping it going . but as my first love has always been oval track racing , especially nascar until the frances absolutely ruined it , i'll be watching , reading , and hopefully posting over here , also .
    i'm glad you're over here , also . there're an awful lot of knowledgeable people posting on this thread .

jack